Thread: Airsporter green spring ?

Airsporter green spring ?

I work on quite a few Airsporters. Today I opened one up and found the square section spring which is in a green colour. This is one of the most powerful springs I have come across in an airgun. Higher resistance than other square section springs I have seen. Took a great deal of strength to cock it, needless to say I changed it for a standard power spring. The rifle was still operating even though the nylon piston head was swollen as usual through hydrolysis and needed turning down on the lathe quite a bit to fit the chamber properly. Does anyone know who makes these green springs ?

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've no idea, but do feel the government should legislate to outlaw the manufacture and sale of square section mainsprings for air rifles.

Do not need those sort of ideas. You do not need square section springs to make an airgun go overpowered. I find that most springs need to be cut to get the best sub 12 ft lb output from a rifle, especially the HW 80.The legislation we have here is already top heavy, ill advised, and draconian. After living overseas in a much more liberal society you come to realise how tied up we are in UK with knee jerk add-on laws.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 20-04-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Do not need those sort of ideas. You do not need square section springs to make an airgun go overpowered. I find that most springs need to be cut to get the best sub 12 ft lb output from a rifle, especially the HW 80.The legislation we have here is already top heavy, ill advised, and draconian. After living overseas in a much more liberal society you come to realise how tied up we are in UK with knee jerk add-on laws.

Baz
    !00% with you on that Baz, but allso agree the only thing an OX spring is good for is closeing my back yard gate.

The early HWMK1 97 had square section springs, i believe in a green shade.

I could be wrong on this - (I often am ) but didn't the very early Venom Lazerglide 80s have square section springs?

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 20-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The people at Hull Cartridge told me Weihrauch had experimented with them for a while,having seen the damage they can cause when installed as an after market part, I wouldn't go near them.
    Only fit for weighing in as scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Thanks for the info, I do not like square section springs but often see them in air rifles that come my way.This one interested me as it is so strong and painted similar to press tool springs. Seemed to have caused some irritation with people with a simple question (very easy to do nowadays).

Baz

While I would not fit a square section spring out of choice, I have seen and shot rifles where they do a good job with no signs of damage to any part of the rifle or person shooting the shot. Indeed, one rifle, an Eclipse (.22) I shot was so smooth that I thought it had been 'tuned'. It was, however, a little OTT so I fettled the spring to bring it back down ... it was still very very smooth.
    My personal experience is that while there can be issues with square section springs and most people seem to hate them and repeat various stories about how bad they are, they are not bad in all situations.
    But as stated at the start, if replacing a spring, a square section one would not be my first choice. But then again, I do not recall ever fitting a Titan round section spring without having to size it in order to tame the output.
    Cheers, Phil

I agree with Phil somewhat - square section springs get a bad press, due to the infamous OX that everyone fitted in the 90s to bring the power up, and which most removed immediately after a couple of shots.
    Ive got a mk2 77 with a square section in, and its smooth and consistent.

never seen a green one
    Donald