Thread: Can 9mm ammo be made from 9x21 brass.

Can 9mm ammo be made from 9x21 brass.

Had a call from a shooting mate this morning, he has a 9mm rifle and has been given a few thousand 9x21 brass, does anyone know if these could be trimmed to length and be used in the 9mm?

Even if it could (I genuinely don't know, though I always thought that 9x21 was simply a lengthened 9x19 for easy compliance with laws in places like Italy) it sounds like an awful lot of work to end up with what is very cheap brass; I've seen once fired 9x19 go for about £35 posted/500.

Probably worth poking about EU sites, with the very weak Euro and much stronger pistol shooting scene over there you'll pick some up for not a lot.

9mm

GOT 400 9mm for sale in sales section,

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    <pedant mode = on>

The 9x21 is a 9mm round.

<pedant mode=off>

9x21 cartridge is a lengthened 9x19 (aka 9mm parabellum) case. In 9x21 the bullet is seated a little further in so the COL is almost the same.

It could be trimmed to length, but as already noted 9x21 cases are actually worth more than 9x19 cases, so suggest that you sell them and buy some parabellum with the money.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

9x21 was originally developed for Italian shooters who were not allowed to have military calibers. It is identical to 9x19..... except that it is 21mm long, so a quick 2mm trim on a case trimmer will sort you out no problem.

The reasoning behind it (Italian legislation) was to stop any revolutionary organisations obtaining arms on their licences and then making bulk purchases of military surplus ammo. Not sure if it's still current.

I believe some shooters in the states experimented with the caliber as a large mag/major caliber option for practical pistol.