Thread: Starter target pistol - help and advice please

Starter target pistol - help and advice please

One of the shooting disciplines I've never tried is 10m air pistol and I fancy giving it a go. I also fancy practicing a bit before joining a dedicated 10m club. Which of course I can do with any of the many non-target air pistols I have accumulated over the last 35 or so years. But I am thinking about a small investment in a vaguely proper starter target pistol. For £300 or, preferably, less, ideally with good resale value if I didn't get on with it or wanted to trade up (despite my personal rule of almost never selling a gun, just adding to the accumulation).

My options seem to be:

1. Gamo Compact, new or used. Cheap. Like the look and feel of them. Not sure about the trigger though.

2. Daisy 717 or 747. Even cheaper but not persuaded it's a good gun. And hard to find.

3. New Baikal IZH-46. Heard/read very good things. Warranty. And cheap from that place in the West Country (and I will be in the West Country in a few weeks).

4. M&G Original 6G/6M/10. My first target rifle was a 66 and it was great, so I'm partial to Giss system Originals. And they seem very good value.

5. Feinwerkbau LP65/80/90. The gun to beat when I was younger. Enough said. But are they worth 2x an M&G or the same as a brand new "Izzy"?

6. Something else. I don't know. FAS?

I have basically discounted 1 and 2, unless I found one very cheap. Heart says Original 6/10. Head says FWB.

Views?

Well I have two 717 daisies and they are brilliant target pistols, I have one up for sale on GS now.
    I also have the 46m Baikal well worth 276 £ delivered, both these are good choices for you,
    Good luck,
    martintheveg

I haven't tried a Diana 6/10 (10 is going to cost you), but I would say go with your head The FWB65's can be had within budget with money to spare and if you purchase sensibly the resale value will be the same as what you paid for it.

Geezer, I see you are in London, if you would like to pop down to Bromley South rail station I am five minutes away and I have a thirty yard range in my rear garden, here you could try the Baika 46ml, the daisy and the original 6m target pistol, that will give you a good feel for these three pistols at least, its no problem for me, I am in all day once I am home from my dog walk,
    martintheveg.

In your budget the IZH-46 is probably the best choice
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

2nd on that, FWB 65 is a great pistol also and will retain it's value but for the price the Baikal IZH is hard to beat, I know some very competent shooters that use them with great success,

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    In your budget the IZH-46 is probably the best choice
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

My choice would be the FWB65 or 80. I bought a tatty one recently and when I up graded a few months later to a tidier, but no more accurate, model 65 I sold the tatty one on here for under £175. (I cant remember the exact figure old age and all that ) so they do appear now and then at bargain prices.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

a lot of older FWB 60-90's will need new seals before they will work properly. I managed to buy a Pardini P10 SSP pistol for £250 and they are a superb pistol.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Either the Izzy or the FWB would be my choice of your shortlist...there was a nice FWB90 on here a few days ago within budget.
    Also within your budget would be a Tau7 if you wanted a CO2 option...

Thank you!

Thanks everyone, and sorry not to say so earlier, been away from the internet a bit. I really like advice that basically agrees with me. :-)

martintheveg: that's a really kind offer, thank you. I'm a bit commited with Easter and work, but I'll drop you a PM if that changes.

Cheers again.

Tau 7
    gamo compact etc arent real target guns
    Hate the fwb sidecocking. very awkward, also heavy at the rear dont like the balance
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Thanks everyone, and sorry not to say so earlier, been away from the internet a bit. I really like advice that basically agrees with me. :-)

martintheveg: that's a really kind offer, thank you. I'm a bit commited with Easter and work, but I'll drop you a PM if that changes.

Cheers again.
    No problem mate, the offer is open for you any time.
    martintheveg

Airforce One Trophy Target

I have just bought this pistol, and must say, as a beginner I find it a great piece of kit.
    Well worth considering, and well within your budget. Elsewhere within the forum there is mention of cheaper sources, but over-powered? None the less, half the price of UK.
    Either way, this pistol has got me revved up, and am really enjoying building up my scores.

If you're willing to stretch your budget a little, I'm about to sell an Air Arms Alfa Proj PCP pistol, complete with an anatomical grip. It works extremely well for 10m air pistol, but unlike most of the high-end target pistols it has an 11mm rail that you can attach a scope to for shooting in other disciplines.

You may have a club in mind, but if you're London based and can get to central London easily then I can recommend joining SERC: http://www.serc.org.uk. It's a friendly club, with a wide range of abilities shooting air pistol (as well as small bore rifle), and air-only membership is really cheap.

if anyone's interested, I've just put my Air Arms Alfa Proj up for sale:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....istol-for-sale