Thread: Stock for my remington 1858

Stock for my remington 1858

Anyone have one laying about?

Think I saw RichardH had one to sell - dunno if it was for a Colt or Rem clone...
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

A Militaria shop in Cheshire has a de-act 1858 with the shoulder stock, but £475 for a dead welded lump is a lot of money imho.

Sorry, the never-ending destruction of firearms by our 'De-Act' rules makes me very, very sad.

There is absolutely NO reason to deactivate any cap and ball revolver that is a genuine antique.

Exactly like the stunningly beautiful 17th C Bohemian matchlock carbine I saw last year for 'only' £11,500 - 'fully deactivated in accordance with the current Home Office guidelines', it read on the tag.

tac

Thanks I'll try to contact him if he dosent see this.
    I know plenty that de activate firearms, usualy so they can sleep safe in there beds that there not going to cause harm in the future. I personally find this annoying but there choice tac

messaged him, thanks capnball
    Last edited by WarrenC; 31-03-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Scratch that his mailbox full lol

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    Thanks I'll try to contact him if he dosent see this.
    I know plenty that de activate firearms, usualy so they can sleep safe in there beds that there not going to cause harm in the future. I personally find this annoying but there choice tac
    I find it very odd that a 160-year old Remington cap and ball revolver is considered to not only be to be a danger to life and limb, but somehow capable of loading itself and troubling the sleep of its owner, after somehow escaping from its gun safe.......

But as you say, it is their choice.

tac

No safe required, but local police have been running 'hand in's' and scarring the locals. Had to stop my father handing in his collection as he was worried bit mad.

Also on another note still looking for a stock 😛

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    No safe required, but local police have been running 'hand in's' and scarring the locals. Had to stop my father handing in his collection as he was worried bit mad.

Also on another note still looking for a stock 😛
    Having had a hand in the 'rescuing' of the literal serial number 1 Krieghoff-manufactured Luger back in the late 1990's, the police to whom it had been handed in having not the foggiest notion of the true value of this legendary pistol, nothing really surprises me any more where guns and the country's constabulary in general are concerned.

An American collector of my acquaintance has a cheque for half a million dollars to buy it, if it ever comes up for sale.

Add to that the unfired, cased and profusely engraved Colt Paterson that was found in a house clearance in Tyneside some years back, that eventually sold for around $300K, that too was minutes away from the cutter's torch when somebody thought, uhoh, I wonder if this might be worth anything?

D'oh.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I find it very odd that a 160-year old Remington cap and ball revolver is considered to not only be to be a danger to life and limb, but somehow capable of loading itself and troubling the sleep of its owner, after somehow escaping from its gun safe.......

But as you say, it is their choice.

tac
    The 1858 in question was a Uberti replicant. Sorry I wasn't clearer, tbh a real antique at THAT price would be great, for not so for a modern replica. Tbh, the only thing of interest is the Stock - I think the Militaria dealer is trying to get more together than he would selling them separately, but things are slow so I wonder if they would consider a split?

As an aside, some of the more upmarket dealers of antiques have some truly grade-1 War Department cap-n-ball issue revolvers that really do look made yesterday. Deep bluing, sharp lines, pristine, strong.. Yep, they can be bought without a license - and rightly so. But it does make a mockery of Cap n Ball licensing.