Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone ID this match grip please?

Can anyone ID this match grip please?

As in thread title.

Pics here.

A valuation, if it's worth anything, would be useful too, please. It has a small crack in the left hand segment, badly superglued.

Thanks!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As in thread title.

Pics here.

A valuation, if it's worth anything, would be useful too, please. It has a small crack in the left hand segment, badly superglued.

Thanks!
    Contact Bob (ZOOMA) on here. He will be able to identify it, date it, state the wood and offer you 50p.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Contact Bob (ZOOMA) on here. He will be able to identify it, date it, state the wood and offer you 50p.

HTH
    Ian
    Thanks Ian, I'd certainly like to hear from Bob if he's about. I've sold him three match guns in the past and am £6 the richer for it.

I've had a former member of the GB squad look at this grip and he's been unable to identify it, so it might be a bit obscure...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

What would be very useful is a picture of the inside of the grips. The shape of the hole left for the pistol will say a lot about the type of gun it was.
    It looks vaguely like a grip forthe walther GSP
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    It looks vaguely like a grip for the Walther GSP
    Sorry, not even vaguely

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...GompC_Hsy9Q4ww

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...d=0CCcQMygHMAc

ATB
    Mike,
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    What would be very useful is a picture of the inside of the grips. The shape of the hole left for the pistol will say a lot about the type of gun it was.
    Good point. Grip insides now added to the end of the linked pics.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I think that they are off a revolver of some type, maybe a Weihrauch or a Manhurine?

They are defiantly a set of grips for a revolver could be for a S&W.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Look like KN (Karl Nill) match revolver grips. Available for numerous models/styles/ etc, a bit like Rink Grips.

Looks like a JDH GENT grip for a K frame Smith & Wesson , Dereck made grips for me in the 70's and 80's and they are a lot like these , I still have mine , won't sell them.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks Ian, I'd certainly like to hear from Bob if he's about. I've sold him three match guns in the past and am £6 the richer for it.

I've had a former member of the GB squad look at this grip and he's been unable to identify it, so it might be a bit obscure...
    Sorry I cannot identify the grips ( or who made them) for you either but as they are made in two halves and with a single screw fixing that should help narrow it down a bit as the profile of the pistol frame can be clearly seen, and maybe the suggestion that it was made to fit a revolver pistol type could be right as the thumb-down position would work well on a revolver.

The cut away above the thumb rest could also have been made to clear the cylinder release lever on a revolver.

Nill-Griffe grips are quite distinctive in their shape and style of stippling and they carry the Nill-Griffe stamp so I am fairly certain that these grips are not made by this German manufacturer.

Most established aftermarket grip makers emboss their name on the grip somewhere but this grip does not have any visible ID, but this could have been obliterated as the previous owner ( or owners) have made some "modifications" to the grip, but from the pictures these "improvements" have not been made in an area where a stamp would usually be found.
    Last edited by zooma; 01-04-2015 at 07:24 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

HTH
    Ian
    I think 50p would be quite a strong bid , but if we can find out what pistol it was made to fit and check the fit to the frame it could be repaired and made to look good again.

I have repaired broken grips like this by inserting some new wood to strengthen the repair and if the joints are made well (like in marquetry ) the finished joint can be very attractive.

By using the original 24 hour Araldite two part epoxy for small joints like this it achieves a very strong bond and when the repaired area is sanded back to the original profile any tiny imperfections in the joint are gap filled and become barely visible.

With a new oil finish and some nice ball-stippling it could be restored to be a very good looking grip.

The internal machining suggests that it was well made by somebody so it would be good to find out what it was made to fit.
    Last edited by zooma; 01-04-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Weihrauch Arminus perhaps?

Thanks gents. I did think revolver when I saw the curved profile of the inner cutouts.

Do the owners of revolvers tend to use conventional match grips like this? I haven't really seen any (eg.) Smith & Wessons kitted out for target work before! Then again, I've never actually been to a power-burner pistol range, so there's no particular reason why I would have.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

grips

Almost certainly S&W K frame, probably K38, very popular for the centre fire match in the late 70's before the .32 wadcutters appeared. I had a set on my K38 during that period.
    Maker, mmmm? Not so easy, could be Bowler, more likely Derek Gent.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?