Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
No. What would happen?
I suspect it's a case of "look, dive bottles which I think were filled from a decent compressor get rusty too!!!!1111!!11"

What this misses, of course, is that the only dive bottles that get condemned during testing (either from the visual inspection or the pressure test) get cut up. And there's no knowing what abuse they've taken (run empty, filled from dodgy third world compressors, had a sub-surface life etc.)

Many, many cylinders live exceptionally long lives- case in point, we had two very old (30 year+) BA cylinders that only failed test because they'd been stamped on the neck (a failure in the case of thin walled BA cylinders). And they were a bit shite for what we wanted, being 200BAR.

The only fair test would be to get two steel PCP cylinders and fill and use both a set number of times, but no one will do that to two good cylinders!

Even if pumps gave out perfectly dry air (and in fairness I don't know that they don't) I still can't see why anyone would want to use one now 300BAR cylinders are so cheap.