Thread: Optima 3-9x56 Day and Night Reticule scope

Optima 3-9x56 Day and Night Reticule scope

Gents,

as per title I originally thought that this was a Super Moonlighter scope. Further research has revealed this this is the day and night reticule scope. I'm thinking of selling it and would like to know what it's worth, everything works AO/IR etc good condition with minor cosmetic marks. Any help greatly appreciated link to an old advert here: http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=2

Paulg.

Quote Originally Posted by zpaulg View Post
    Gents,

as per title I originally thought that this was a Super Moonlighter scope. Further research has revealed this this is the day and night reticule scope. I'm thinking of selling it and would like to know what it's worth, everything works AO/IR etc good condition with minor cosmetic marks. Any help greatly appreciated link to an old advert here: http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=2

Paulg.
    Yes thats a pick from a mag, how about some pics of the scope pleasae I gave £90.00 fora mint one a year back.

Pocs

I've got pics but not sure if I'm allowed to post them here, was saving them for the sales thread when I had a rough idea of what to ask!

I've got pics but not sure if I'm allowed to post them here, was saving them for the sales thread when I had a rough idea of what to ask!
    I dont think that would be a problem and we can give you a better valuation, there a very good scope and even today can compete with some of the best of modern offerings.

Pics

In that case, pics as requested here:

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=4

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=5

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/zp...tml?sort=3&o=0

Looking at the old advert it would seem that this model is one up from the Super Moonlighter. Not mint, slight scratches where mounts go, so invisible when mounted. All working, no crimps etc though not a clue what battery it takes. CR2032 lights the reticle but is too small and moves about losing contact...

What date the magazine?
    What colour the front glass?

The condition doesn't warrant collectors class so no premium and has to compete with everything else. I'm not a fan of the large objective either. So my thoughts are start at £100.

Interesting Optima advert... £100 premium for the IR model over the regular Super Moonlighter!

I guess IR was quite a new thing at the time, therefore expensive... and it's nice that the IR still works (could need a fatter button battery, or did it take two thin ones??).

Today, I doubt the IR adds much to the value compared to the non-IR model (although, to the right customer, it might!).

As its a bit scruffy looking, I guess £100 asking price sounds about right... trouble with scopes is, if they develop a fault, it's nigh-on impossible to get them fixed. And a scope with a fault is usually useless.

Cheers

Cheers gents gives me a starting point. As a matter of interest why does the glass colour matter?

Thanks again

Paulg.

Can I have a date for the advert, saves me looking it up.

From my scope collection there seems to be several front glass colours. The same model might change over the years depending on what price point they were trying to retain. The usual is a grey blue. However there are all kinds and one of my favourites is a bright deep blue as found on the better Tascos. Simons has green blue. Others crimson. Optimas did several; think they were made by Hakko. Hakko has a red dot reticule in the late 70's and charged a premium for them!

In terms of Optimas my all time favourite is the early 4X40 7059 which has the cheaper grey blue, but being fixed with a medium plex is perfect for no faffing farmyard range shooting. Have them on two FWB Sports. The other classic is the original Moonlighter. I prefer it without OA and in truth never really liked the BDC's. The Super Moonlighter wasn't any better at light gathering and far too big. No OA and then they are in focus at 25m on x6 or 7 and at max x9 then 45m!
    Optimas with Apel mounts just look the biz on HW35E 80 and 77's plus FWB Sports and Original 45's.

For the early 90's then Optimas couldn't keep up with the competition. Even Tasco had their best and then were to go down hill. Simmons hit the market with their WTC's. Your Optimas was priced similar to Bausch and Lomb and some Leupolds. The former were far far superior and really showed how average Optimas were getting.

Anyhow thats what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Can I have a date for the advert, saves me looking it up.

From my scope collection there seems to be several front glass colours. The same model might change over the years depending on what price point they were trying to retain. The usual is a grey blue. However there are all kinds and one of my favourites is a bright deep blue as found on the better Tascos. Simons has green blue. Others crimson. Optimas did several; think they were made by Hakko. Hakko has a red dot reticule in the late 70's and charged a premium for them!

In terms of Optimas my all time favourite is the early 4X40 7059 which has the cheaper grey blue, but being fixed with a medium plex is perfect for no faffing farmyard range shooting. Have them on two FWB Sports. The other classic is the original Moonlighter. I prefer it without OA and in truth never really liked the BDC's. The Super Moonlighter wasn't any better at light gathering and far too big. No OA and then they are in focus at 25m on x6 or 7 and at max x9 then 45m!
    Optimas with Apel mounts just look the biz on HW35E 80 and 77's plus FWB Sports and Original 45's.

For the early 90's then Optimas couldn't keep up with the competition. Even Tasco had their best and then were to go down hill. Simmons hit the market with their WTC's. Your Optimas was priced similar to Bausch and Lomb and some Leupolds. The former were far far superior and really showed how average Optimas were getting.

Anyhow thats what I think.
    agree on a lot of that, yes they were Hakko, quallity Japanese optics, like you i like the 4x40 but my fave is the Gamekeeper I have on my Beeman/Webley C1 series 1 in .22 awesome combination.

Argghhhh!

Guys,

I've learned a lot about Optima scopes through this process. That said, gleaning accurate, meaningful information is difficult. I stumbled across the advert while trying to ascertain what scope I had. I have no idea when it is from. From what I can see the glass is clear which I take to mean "early". This is a guess based on a thread entry I read. Having realised the scope was the day night reticule I've tried to value it via this thread and the consensus seems to be to start around £100. This is more than I expected I originally thought the scope was a junker! That said I have a chap interested at my club and I am going to offer it to him and see if he wants it. If not I will start a sales thread, many thanks for your inputs

Paulg.

Guys,

I've learned a lot about Optima scopes through this process. That said, gleaning accurate, meaningful information is difficult. I stumbled across the advert while trying to ascertain what scope I had. I have no idea when it is from. From what I can see the glass is clear which I take to mean "early". This is a guess based on a thread entry I read. Having realised the scope was the day night reticule I've tried to value it via this thread and the consensus seems to be to start around £100. This is more than I expected I originally thought the scope was a junker! That said I have a chap interested at my club and I am going to offer it to him and see if he wants it. If not I will start a sales thread, many thanks for your inputs

Paulg.
    Pop it on the sales thread Paul it's too rich for me, good luck

Sold

Sold to Peddy, many thanks

Paulg.

Thanks for the deal Paul, going to look well on my 35.