Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: full length v neck sizing dies

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire

full length v neck sizing dies

as above
    going to need dies but not sure which ones to get
    2 or 3 die sets
    neck or full length
    for 223 and 308, will be wanting something half decent but not sure which way to go

I just neck size as prolongs the life of the brass.

Unless you plan on using someone elses shot brass its all you need.

I full length mine for consistency and accuracy
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Neck size works the brass less, but at some point you will need to bump the shoulders back so that the rounds chamber without a stiff bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by sidesy View Post
    I full length mine for consistency and accuracy
    Interestingly I neck size only for exactly the same reason. Always get better results after the first firing, a bit like Chinese tea.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Interestingly I neck size only for exactly the same reason. Always get better results after the first firing, a bit like Chinese tea.
    i prefer concentricity
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

i prefer concentricity
    Using my concentricity gauge I can see my once shot cases are extremely concentric. Must be a good chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Using my concentricity gauge I can see my once shot cases are extremely concentric. Must be a good chamber.
    im sure you can - i'll stick with my method, it works for me so, you saying without a gauge to full length

so, you saying without a gauge to full length
    I know its late at night, but I don't understand this part of the multismilied sentence.

After recent sessions of buggering about, I have found that neck sizing using a Lee Collet, followed by FL size with a lapped out Hornady Custom Grade that doesn't touch the neck, works well on the tidgy little neck of .204r.
    I haven't got a concentricity gauge, but the groups are a gnats smaller than either of the methods used alone, but the .25" flyers away from the groups, that were a pain before are pretty much non existent.

I fl size every time as if you just neck size then the dimentions of the the case will change slightly everytime its fired so fl sizing is the only way to make it the same each time. However I always collet size the neck to ensure its straight just before I load them.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I think a quick look at that lot says it all really, everyone seems to have different theories or findings dependant on their particular setup.

When I was shooting F class I did the necks only an dbumped them back, doing a FL every 5 or so. I knew of some that did FL every time, but I saw no change in the group sizes. I was lucky with that rifle as the brass hardly moved so neck sizing with a bush followed by a mandrel to bring the neck back out to where I wanted it was fine.

I only ever FL size brass as a rule if it has been once fired by someone else (obvioulsy) and only ever neck size .303 (If you keep buggering this brass about it wont take long before either the shoulders die or the case seperates, its an old thin design and Enfield chambers can vary quite madly). My 303 shoots well on this and feeds as well as you like, very fast.

5.56x45 (sorry...whats 223???...heh heh) gets FL resized if its for CSR match ammo (77gr) but neck only if its for practice loads (55gr). This is because the AR may well baulk at feeding a slightly expanded case when its warm and wont fully lock which in a comp with a straight pull is a "dis-ar-star darling". otherwise I just bung it through a collet die. Its not strictly necessary but better safe than sorry I guess.

My advice, buy a Lee set (contains FL/Collet/Seater/crimp from memory) and see what works, that way you wont have spent the earth. Then, once you have a good idea, bin the Lee kit and spend a shitload on redding/wilson dies and achieve EXACTLY the same results for more safe in the knowledge that these vastly superior dies will never let you down....so far I have only been let down by a forster....

Crimping? Not sure why you would do it unless you are rattling them through, but I know one who does it to ensure the fed round does not catch in an AR after loading with a Dillon (Makes sense when you look at the amount of brass that gets skimmed off with an AR) and another who says it improves his ES....which I guess makes sense.

I do it because the ammo does get clattered about, it acts as a form of final audit, and the above both make sense.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

neck or FL sizing

I am also new to necksizing with a 308 and I have read the techie stuff on the "brass flowing forward" and thus relocating the shoulder a little...I am waiting to see how many reloads I can get from neck sizing, before the Lapua cases need a FL sizing session. I understand that lever action cases should always be FL sized and in fact I cannot find a necksizing die for my 30/30. My K31 is also a candidate for recommended FL sizing and I would be interested to know of anyone who neck sizes for the K31. It would be much easier on the press!

amc577

unless running hotter loads you will be surprised how many firings you will get through neck sizing only before you need to FL size
    I run 55gr N160 under 130gr bullets (max data is closer to 60gr) I am on 8 to 10 firings with no problem
    think you will also be surprised how little difference the subsequent FL size makes to either groups or POI

I have a 4 die Lee set in all cartridge derivations (FL, Neck, Seat, Crimp)
    I neck size everything, mainly as it is easier for me, the brass, my pocket (brass lasts longer) and a giant hole in the ground has not yet opened up and swallowed me for daring to ignore the "you must FL size everytime" mantra!!

.222, (.243) .270, .308, .300WM

I crimp .222, .270 and .300WM
    group size is smaller with crimping and the recoil on the 300 is enough to tap a bullet deeper in!

I never understood the need to F/L size new brass.
    Surely it is the same size as used in factory ammo.