Thread: Question about a Hogue grip cover for a Weihrauch HW40

Question about a Hogue grip cover for a Weihrauch HW40

Hello all

I am sure i read a thread somewhere that someone had fitted a Hogue grip cover to a Weihrauch HW40 and if so i am trying to find one as twice now the HW40 hand grip has slipped slightly in my hand and i was wondering if this would help cure the odd slipping issue.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    Hello all

I am sure i read a thread somewhere that someone had fitted a Hogue grip cover to a Weihrauch HW40 and if so i am trying to find one as twice now the HW40 hand grip has slipped slightly in my hand and i was wondering if this would help cure the odd slipping issue.

Dave
    Two things. If you put into google "Brian zins clinic on fundamentals" and check out his grip section you will find the explanation of why the slipping occurs. Ive also seen on "Derrick's blog" or "HW40 by Tod" an item on stippling the grips with a soldering iron to give more purchase. Since using the Brian zins method, every gun I have is dead solid in the hand. The back strap sits in the valley of the palm with all the squishy fat below the little finger on the palm round the right side of the grip. This is also mentioned in the "US army pistol marksmanship" guide on how to hold the 1911. Hope this is of use to you. ATB. Pete.
    Last edited by peteswright; 11-04-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    "stippling the grips with a soldering iron"
    Hello Pete

I watched a video in the week about a guy stippling the polymer grip on a pistol with a soldering iron but i dont want to do anything permanently cosmetic to my HW40 and i know it is only a cheap pistol but it performs great and the only little gripes i have are the pellet can be a bit fiddly to insert in the breach, a bit hard to cock, the odd slip in the hand and i would have liked it to be able to have controllable power via cocking the gun another time but other than the above little issues the Weihrauch HW40 is very accurate and i am pleased with it saying it is a cheaper pistol.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    Hello Pete

I watched a video in the week about a guy stippling the polymer grip on a pistol with a soldering iron but i dont want to do anything permanently cosmetic to my HW40 and i know it is only a cheap pistol but it performs great and the only little gripes i have are the pellet can be a bit fiddly to insert in the breach, a bit hard to cock, the odd slip in the hand and i would have liked it to be able to have controllable power via cocking the gun another time but other than the above little issues the Weihrauch HW40 is very accurate and i am pleased with it saying it is a cheaper pistol.

Dave
    What I once did to another pistol, was to stretch a piece of cycle inner tube over the grip. But have a look at the Brian zins pistol hold. It might just be how you're gripping the gun. Ive never had a problem with my HW40 slipping. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Ive never had a problem with my HW40 slipping.
    To be honest it is only a slight slip each time but it has affected my shot but i am sure one day i will hit the barn door.

Dave

I fitted a Hogue grip intended for the Glock 17 to my HW40, called the Handall if I remember correctly. It needed a thorough dunk in hot water to soften it enough to get it over the grip and it still needed a lot of tugging to get fully in place. However, it was well worth the effort, transforming the HW40 into something that filled the hand properly. I got mine from Medway but York Guns also had them at one point.

I have seen a Hogue handall on the bay but i am not paying over £24 for one.

Dave

Try some self adhesive skate board grip tape. Chap on you tube who does a lot of firearms reviews "Hickok45" quite often wraps his pistol grips with it.
    I have tried it on one or two pistols and it feels good.

Two things. If you put into google "Brian zins clinic on fundamentals" and check out his grip section you will find the explanation of why the slipping occurs. Ive also seen on "Derrick's blog" or "HW40 by Tod" an item on stippling the grips with a soldering iron to give more purchase. Since using the Brian zins method, every gun I have is dead solid in the hand. The back strap sits in the valley of the palm with all the squishy fat below the little finger on the palm round the right side of the grip. This is also mentioned in the "US army pistol marksmanship" guide on how to hold the 1911. Hope this is of use to you. ATB. Pete.

What a great article to read, many thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Try some self adhesive skate board grip tape. Chap on you tube who does a lot of firearms reviews "Hickok45" quite often wraps his pistol grips with it.
    I have tried it on one or two pistols and it feels good.
    Going to try that on the flat side areas of the HW40 grips. Although I have no trouble with the grips, it has to be said the texture is rather too smooth.

OK, I bought some grip tape...it's rough stuff, something akin to course emery cloth with a strong adhesive backing!

I cut some contoured shapes out for the palm and thumb/finger and applied them to the pistol.

It gives a much better grip and looks quite good. The material is rather course on the hand; remains to seen whether I have much skin left after cocking the pistol repeatedly! It might be possible to wear in/smooth the texture of the material over time.

I will upload some photos soon. Photos are here:

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...psh5oj1ofk.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/x...pssva2d8ky.jpg

The pack is enough to cover a skate board...so I have 'a bit left'. If anyone likes the idea, I have taken a pattern and so could send them the cut out shapes to apply to their pistol (small material cost plus P&P).
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 12-06-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Photos added.

Photos links added above.

I have now found that the trick to using the grip tape is to firstly (before application), smooth out the surface texture by rubbing two pieces together, it then becomes a lot more skin friendly. It is a big improvement in the feel of the grip.

Thanks to Archie for the initial suggestion.

I have just noticed that in the great article on the HW40 by Todd Cooper, that he also found the grips a bit too smooth, so much so that he also applied a gritty surface tape over them.