Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone collect Original Dianas?

Anyone collect Original Dianas?

There I am aged 13 in 1981 and my pride and joy is a second-hand Original 66, and I spend many hours leafing through the M&G catalogue deciding which other of their guns I will buy with my imaginary money.

Two years later, I have saved actual money and been very nice to my parents, and the answer is an FWB Sport, and I pretty much forget my earlier fascination with Originals.

Fast forward to this week, and I find myself buying an Original 5G. Because I wanted one when I was 13. And I'm very pleased with it.

Now, I've always been more of an accumulator than a proper collector and am clearly suffering from a bout of middle-aged nostalgia. But I'm now toying with the idea of trying to collect a representative selection of early 80s Originals. Because:

- They are all high quality properly made accurate guns that will, properly cared for, last forever.

- They include the 3 main action types (lots of break-barrels, an underlever (50), and a sidelever (75).

- They cover just about all the basic types of springer: a sporting/informal target pistol (5G); match pistols (6G, 6M, 10); very nice youth rifles (23, 25, 27); a classic mid-weight mid-power sporter (35/35S); a full-size powerful sporter (45); a traditional u/l (50); and two types of match rifle (66, 75); and many of them in a variety of interesting variants. I can't think of any other manufacturer with such a comprehensive range. Extend the timeframe forward and you can add in full power springers in both normal (48/52) and suppressed recoil (54) variants - and I see they've just brought out a gas-ram, at least in the states.

- They aren't as sought after as, say, Webleys or BSAs, so are not bad value. Although there are fewer of them around.

So:

1. Have a contracted a dangerous bug called collector-itis?

2. Anyone else feel similarly about these guns, that don't seem to have quite the following of some other makes?

1. Yeah, probably. And you deserve to buy yourself some guns!

1b. Theres a 75HV in 'sales' that you should buy now. To save me from buying it.

2. Theres a fair few serious Diana fans here on the BBS.

2b. I bought an old (made in 1977) model 66 last year, and I love it!

But I'm not a collector.

Thanks, Rickenbacker.

1. Oh well, it had to happen! I think my "accumulation" is around 35 airguns, but could be more, so a few extra won't hurt...

1b. Yes, and it's very appealing, but I think I should pace myself a bit. So don't let me get in your way :-).

2. Excellent.

2b. Yes, they are awesome. Mine is a 1978 model. I must get round (courage) to resealing it. I had great fun for many years with a scope on it, shooting at the heads of Swan Vestas in the garden after I decided 10m rifle was not -then- my thing.

By the way, I have agreed with my son (nearly 11) that this is the year I will teach him to shoot properly. He is a lanky 5' tall kid, taking after his lanky 6'2" father. I am determined that he should learn with an iron-sighted springer, like his dad did 35 or so years ago. The only new rifle I would consider for that is an HW25, maybe a 30/30S. But I'm sure that an M&G 25D/DS/27/27S would be at least as good, if not better, and better (sorry if this is controversial here) than a Meteor or similar Webley, Milbro or somesuch. Anyone know if they all have the same length of pull?

I am a collector and love Original/Dianas and have the following, - Break Barels- 35b, 45, Underleavers- 50, 46 Stutzen., sideleaver- 52 Firebird Carbine, 75 HV Match Rifle., enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    I am a collector and love Original/Dianas and have the following, - Break Barels- 35b, 45, Underleavers- 50, 46 Stutzen., sideleaver- 52 Firebird Carbine, 75 HV Match Rifle., enjoy.
    I also love Diana's, I only own a 52 and early 34, but foolishly let go a rws 45, 48 and 35. Would love a 46 stutzen. I rate them along side HWs.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I also love Diana's, I only own a 52 and early 34, but foolishly let go a rws 45, 48 and 35. Would love a 46 stutzen. I rate them along side HWs.
    Yes a lot knock them but in my oppinion there good rifles if a bit pricey here. The older ones can be a good buy and has a youngster can remeber a few locla(now long gone gun shops) that would not work on the ball bearing triguers on the 35/50 My 54 that I had on a number of occasions embarressed pcp,s with its accuracey (whish I had never sold it) and the 52 Carbine isnt far behind it has to accuracey.

aimless Guest
    if you ever desire a 50M underlever, take the older version: absolutely precise, massive built , but very shy (maybe once a year at egun). I love her like my FALKE.

http://sta.sh/02e8tncjxvxx

http://sta.sh/0vwf0gpwhk4

Ive a few Original rifles in my collection including these http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=70 which Ive always taken to be 'B' models, a very early 35 http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=69 and a couple of 45s http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=71

One thing I really do like about Originals is that the date their (later) products which helps us collectors.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thumbs up

Hi

I've a few German Original/Dianas and they're dead solid guns- The three ball sear trigger unit is a joy to use but the very devil to put back together if stripped!!

At the moment I have a Mod2 pistol, a 35 rifle two and a half 45s, three 50s and two 52s (Both cals )...

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Dianas

I'm going through a Diana "phase" at present

My first Diana was a 52 Firebird bought from Litts in '88. I had just split from a g/f and I assured myself that I deserved it for all the heartache. I wanted a gun that would compete with my regular favourite the HW80. It certainly can do in the power and accuracy stakes. The plastic trigger lets it down though.

I've since gone on to purchase two Diana '45s, a Diana 50, two Diana 50T01s, a Diana 34, a Diana 38 x 2, a Diana 46, a Diana 350 Mag. I think that's it

Still a few more to go........

Dave

Original

yep got the bug years ago but not at the time of getting my first m45 in :82 I think.
    The bug became silly really I've lost track of what I have .

I started to catalogue models ,serial numbers so on for some future reference but gave up .
    As well as buying collectable examples I bought over the years many units in none working order which I greased up for old age or winter projects.

I think the earliest original I have are the first 35 series , latest early 54s.
    The problem came when having single numbers of one model no longer counted and it got out of hand.
    The m45 I love

Some of the junior models are cracking little rifles like the little seen original 228 .
    I then had a fling with Barnett international crossbows so be warned it doesn't stop their
    It used to be motorbikes but I couldn't store enough

Enjoy them but don't get consumed

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive a few Original rifles in my collection including these http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=70 which Ive always taken to be 'B' models, a very early 35 http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=69 and a couple of 45s http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=71

One thing I really do like about Originals is that the date their (later) products which helps us collectors.

ATB
    Ian
    You don't see the 35B very often these days especially with its sights.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    You don't see the 35B very often these days especially with its sights.
    Its only the second one Ive ever seen. Both the 50B and 35B were .22 cal. which I find odd.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Its only the second one Ive ever seen. Both the 50B and 35B were .22 cal. which I find odd.

ATB
    Ian
    Are the Bs targety models then?

This was my 35: http://s662.photobucket.com/user/pmb.../original%2035 I think the factory's chequering guy was on speed at the time

ATB
    Ian
    yes my 35 B is .22