Thread: Anyone collect Original Dianas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone collect Original Dianas?

There I am aged 13 in 1981 and my pride and joy is a second-hand Original 66, and I spend many hours leafing through the M&G catalogue deciding which other of their guns I will buy with my imaginary money.

Two years later, I have saved actual money and been very nice to my parents, and the answer is an FWB Sport, and I pretty much forget my earlier fascination with Originals.

Fast forward to this week, and I find myself buying an Original 5G. Because I wanted one when I was 13. And I'm very pleased with it.

Now, I've always been more of an accumulator than a proper collector and am clearly suffering from a bout of middle-aged nostalgia. But I'm now toying with the idea of trying to collect a representative selection of early 80s Originals. Because:

- They are all high quality properly made accurate guns that will, properly cared for, last forever.

- They include the 3 main action types (lots of break-barrels, an underlever (50), and a sidelever (75).

- They cover just about all the basic types of springer: a sporting/informal target pistol (5G); match pistols (6G, 6M, 10); very nice youth rifles (23, 25, 27); a classic mid-weight mid-power sporter (35/35S); a full-size powerful sporter (45); a traditional u/l (50); and two types of match rifle (66, 75); and many of them in a variety of interesting variants. I can't think of any other manufacturer with such a comprehensive range. Extend the timeframe forward and you can add in full power springers in both normal (48/52) and suppressed recoil (54) variants - and I see they've just brought out a gas-ram, at least in the states.

- They aren't as sought after as, say, Webleys or BSAs, so are not bad value. Although there are fewer of them around.

So:

1. Have a contracted a dangerous bug called collector-itis?

2. Anyone else feel similarly about these guns, that don't seem to have quite the following of some other makes?

1. Yeah, probably. And you deserve to buy yourself some guns!

1b. Theres a 75HV in 'sales' that you should buy now. To save me from buying it.

2. Theres a fair few serious Diana fans here on the BBS.

2b. I bought an old (made in 1977) model 66 last year, and I love it!

But I'm not a collector.

Thanks, Rickenbacker.

1. Oh well, it had to happen! I think my "accumulation" is around 35 airguns, but could be more, so a few extra won't hurt...

1b. Yes, and it's very appealing, but I think I should pace myself a bit. So don't let me get in your way :-).

2. Excellent.

2b. Yes, they are awesome. Mine is a 1978 model. I must get round (courage) to resealing it. I had great fun for many years with a scope on it, shooting at the heads of Swan Vestas in the garden after I decided 10m rifle was not -then- my thing.

By the way, I have agreed with my son (nearly 11) that this is the year I will teach him to shoot properly. He is a lanky 5' tall kid, taking after his lanky 6'2" father. I am determined that he should learn with an iron-sighted springer, like his dad did 35 or so years ago. The only new rifle I would consider for that is an HW25, maybe a 30/30S. But I'm sure that an M&G 25D/DS/27/27S would be at least as good, if not better, and better (sorry if this is controversial here) than a Meteor or similar Webley, Milbro or somesuch. Anyone know if they all have the same length of pull?

I am a collector and love Original/Dianas and have the following, - Break Barels- 35b, 45, Underleavers- 50, 46 Stutzen., sideleaver- 52 Firebird Carbine, 75 HV Match Rifle., enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    I am a collector and love Original/Dianas and have the following, - Break Barels- 35b, 45, Underleavers- 50, 46 Stutzen., sideleaver- 52 Firebird Carbine, 75 HV Match Rifle., enjoy.
    I also love Diana's, I only own a 52 and early 34, but foolishly let go a rws 45, 48 and 35. Would love a 46 stutzen. I rate them along side HWs.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I also love Diana's, I only own a 52 and early 34, but foolishly let go a rws 45, 48 and 35. Would love a 46 stutzen. I rate them along side HWs.
    Yes a lot knock them but in my oppinion there good rifles if a bit pricey here. The older ones can be a good buy and has a youngster can remeber a few locla(now long gone gun shops) that would not work on the ball bearing triguers on the 35/50 My 54 that I had on a number of occasions embarressed pcp,s with its accuracey (whish I had never sold it) and the 52 Carbine isnt far behind it has to accuracey.