Thread: case capacity

case capacity

following on from the quickload question about case capacity wth water, how do you do yours?
    i always thought it was a formed case with spent primer in filled with water etc.
    i also read online a better in my mind anyway of doing it.
    size your case and insert bullet to correct seating depth and weigh....then fill with water with a straw or hypodermic needle through the primer hole and reweigh.
    surely this is the better way.....again i stand to be corrected

With all due respect my friend, unless you are an uber anal world class bench rest shooter striving for the last ten thousandth of an inch of group size, there absolutely no need to know your case capacity in CCs of water or anything less.
    Quickload is a good tool to give you some idea of what your cartridge is doing but over complicates the whole process, you are far better just sticking to published reloading data.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    With all due respect my friend, unless you are an uber anal world class bench rest shooter striving for the last ten thousandth of an inch of group size, there absolutely no need to know your case capacity in CCs of water or anything less.
    Quickload is a good tool to give you some idea of what your cartridge is doing but over complicates the whole process, you are far better just sticking to published reloading data.

TB.
    Fair point, but shame Beer Hunter doesn't visit anymore, it made for interesting technical discussions, particularly when Ackley got involved

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post

TB.
    To be truthful I have never measured any case for capacity nor do I feel the need to , but I can understand why people do.
    I tend to stick to one brand of brass for all my rifles .....lapua
    My utter boring rem 700 .233 I use Norma brass but have noticed no difference in accuracy if I use rg and lapua either
    I just wondered how others measure case capacity if they go down that route

I've only ever checked capacity for ql and ive always taken the fired unsized brass with spent primer still in place and done it that way. As said on the ql thread it makes a large difference in ql making it more accurate.