Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW95K buzz or honk.

HW95K buzz or honk.

I bought a new 95K last week and have put about 1000 pellets through it.
    It's very accurate with H&N FTTs and I'm chuffed with it in general but it's developed a buzz/honk just after firing that I would like to eliminate.
    My question is, would a TBT or similar drop in kit sort this problem or would I need a VMach conversion?
    I love the gun, the build quality is fantastic, but I would like to get rid of this honk.
    Thanks for any advice.

Chris

Mine was very similar and a bit twangy after firing but this was easily sorted with a TinBum drop-in kit and a re-lube.
    Now it's very sweet and even I can hit stuff with it on a good day.

Tinbum spring guide & top hat are made of delrin and are very nice. I added a home made delrin piston liner from a sheet of 0.5mm delrin I bought on the bay.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Mine was very similar and a bit twangy after firing but this was easily sorted with a TinBum drop-in kit and a re-lube.
    Now it's very sweet and even I can hit stuff with it on a good day.

Tinbum spring guide & top hat are made of delrin and are very nice. I added a home made delrin piston liner from a sheet of 0.5mm delrin I bought on the bay.

Ouch!
    Thanks Ouch! good to know. Trouble is I'm clueless about these kinds of things.
    I could just about follow a youtube video but I couldn't fit a piston liner from eday bought delrin if my life depended on it.
    I'm good at some stuff but not this stuff.

Chris

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Omg ! I need to come and have a go ! Toying with buying a 95 in 20
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.B. View Post
    Omg ! I need to come and have a go ! Toying with buying a 95 in 20
    Come and have a go buddy. It's a wonderful thing.

Chris

Chances are, your new 95K has a steel piston liner in it (like a Venom ). If so, there's not enough spring room to add another one (and no need to either).

Nick's TBT guides are very good. I've fitted them in .177 and .22 cal HW95s, and they are definately buzz-killers.

Important to degrease the gun's internals, and I used Finish Line teflon bike grease for re-assembly. I'm really pleased with that grease for consistancy and complete lack of det' (dieseling) in the 95s.

Doesn't hurt to also polish the piston skirt, if you can. Or send it to Nick for matched guides and a polish.

I have to declare an interest here, because Nick & I are friends (not in the way you're thinking!). But I do believe he's put some effort into getting the parts just right. And he will talk you through any fitting troubles you may find...

Other makes of guides are also available, and may also be good (for all I know).

HTH

Thanks Phil.
    I've had a PM converation with Nick and decided that's the way I'm going.
    I'll be sending my spring and piston to him for the treatment.

Chris

secretagentmole Guest
    The other half picked up a 95 carbine that buzzed worse than a bumble bee in a tinfoil factory. We picked up a Vortek kit (we live close to the UK importer). The buzz has now gone, but the mechanism was full of swarf from the factory!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    Thanks Phil.
    I've had a PM converation with Nick and decided that's the way I'm going.
    I'll be sending my spring and piston to him for the treatment.

Chris
    Please let us know how you get on Chris

Theres only about 7 big parts in an HW, and hopefully you'll enjoy the gun more once you've been intimate with it

Hi Chris
    The wonky donky Drop in kits are meant to be very good as well

I replaced the metal piston liner with delrin as it showed some damage. (After I removed the washers that the factory put in there)
    Also, I thought it would calm down the buzz and it did work very nicely.
    It probably reduced the weight of my piston a bit too.

To make a delrin piston liner you just have to be good with a ruler and a pair of scissors.
    There's plenty of videos on you tube showing how.
    There's also some excellent stripdown videos for the HW95.
    It's not too difficult to work on and it does not have masses of pre-load on the spring, which can cause problems on other designs.

I'd definately recommend watching a few videos and seeing if you think it's within your skills to do it before ordering the kit of your choice.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Probably just needs a top hat fitted to the front end of the spring, new Weihrauch's come fitted with a synthetic rear guide as standard.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Thanks very much for the advice chaps. I've found the strip down guides on youtube so I'll be giving them a watch.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    Thanks very much for the advice chaps. I've found the strip down guides on youtube so I'll be giving them a watch.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Chris
    I will nip to Jewsons to get some plasterboard and skim to repair the ceiling ..... Boing ....
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

Well I've been intimate with it with the help of a German youtuber (ooh errr) and I've got the spring and piston ready to send to Nick tomorrow.
    I must say it was much more simple than I thought it would be. The only slightly awkward bit was getting out the first two of the four square thingies that hold the trigger housing in.

Chris