Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your "keeper" pistols - let's hear what and why

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    To be honest chap, I thought the M45 was a Umarex pellet shooter. I admired the finish on pics I've seen but I haven't seen one in the flesh. What I like about your polished 1911 is that you have taken the time to get it stamped and have polished it to the extent that it no longer looks like pot metal!!
    Cheers mate, bigjob did a great job on my pistol, the graving is very good and i just keep the polished look tip top.
    lol so many people i show my 1911 at gun club think its the real thing, and im not just talking about people who only shot or own airguns, i got the engraving matched quite well and looks and feels the part because the metal has been polished to a mirror finish it does feel like nice smooth steel, if you cant own the real thing, you should own one of these..

Happy shooting all..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

I'm a collector, and I love or like all of my airguns for different reasons. Sometimes they're family heirlooms, my BSA Scorpion, HW45 (wouldn't keep the HW45 if it were not for the fact that it's one of the guns my Uncle left to me in his will) or the Em-Ge Zenit for instance. Sometimes it's because I've resurrected a basket case with some hard work and been pleased with the results, such as some of my Hy-Scores and my other BSA Scorpion. Sometimes it's just because some aspect of their design appeals to me. Sometimes it's because of their heritage, such as the BSAs and Webleys. Sometimes it's because they're just great air pistols.

Current collection:

Webley Mk1
    Webley Senior
    Webley Premier
    2X Webley Tempests in .177
    Webley Tempest .22
    2X Webley Nemesis

Accles and Shelvoke Warrior

Abas Major

2x BSA 240 Magnum .177
    BSA Scorpion .22
    BSA Scorpion .177

2X Hy-Score Sporters
    Hy-Score Sportster
    Hy-Score 800 Target .177
    Hy-Score 800 Target .22

Baikal IZH-53

Record Jumbo
    Record Champion

Cometa Indian

Rutten Winstar HS550

Em-Ge Zenit

Weihrauch HW45

Lovena Lov-2

Barnett Nitro

Diana Sp50

Gamo AF-10

The real keepers that I would really hate having to part with: The Abas Major, the BSA Scorpion .22, the Em-Ge Zenit, one of the Tempests in particular, one of the Hy-Score Sporters. The old steel Webleys.

For me its the mp 654k. Its not the most powerful or accurate of pistols but it is very authentic, looks and feels right. Has a positive action and it just does it for me.
    Nec aspera terrent

HW77k, Dan Wesson 6mm, baikal makerov MP645k

BSA .177 Magnum,my father brought it for me back in 95
    Was knocking snails off my garden wall with it this morning,great air pistol,shoots as good as the day it was brought.
    Ray...

My FWB65. It's as close to perfect as anything I've ever used, and it will never be sold.

Many years ago I bought (used) an HW45 that left the factory "in the silver" made in 1989. I subsequently bought three extra barrels. Now have 177, 22, 20 and 25.
    Here. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...IMG_0938-1.jpg

A few weeks ago an HW45 Black Star came along and to be honest, although essentially the same pistol, it's a beaut'

My original is pushing 4.3 ft lbs and the new Black Star 5.2 ft lbs. New spring and seal have been bought of the older one, just need time to fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    My FWB65. It's as close to perfect as anything I've ever used, and it will never be sold.
    I'm with you on this one, Matt. As a collector of this model I have several and every one is a keeper - at least it's like pulling teeth getting rid of one, as I have to do from time to time.

My thoughts on this model.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Fwb

Having just finally acquired an LP80, and like you having spent what money I had in the 80s on hunting rifles (including an FWB 127) I know exactly what you mean. Of my twelve or more pistols it is currently the last one that I might part with.

There is something very special about them, and I can't think of any other gun of any type that won Olympic medals for so long.

If my gun buying fund was now not a bit depleted I would be actively on the hunt for an early 65 with plastic grips and a "Mk 2" shorty. Just give it time......

Great article.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm with you on this one, Matt. As a collector of this model I have several and every one is a keeper - at least it's like pulling teeth getting rid of one, as I have to do from time to time.

My thoughts on this model.

Keepers

Can't see me ever selling my early Hurricane or '60's Senior. Years ago I sold my banana barrel Mk 1, regretted it ever since. The CO2's I have just don't have the same 'feel', I'm afraid.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

If I had to keep just one pistol from my collection it would be the pre-war Webley Mk1 - the first 'serious' air pistol I ever owned and probably one of the least valuable. This would be closely followed by the FWB65 with which I competed in numerous matches and competitions in the 70's and 80's and I still have it.

I bought the mk1 in 1957 from the boy who sat next to me in class at school for 30 shillings (£1.50) and it gave me hours of pleasure in the summer holidays, weekends and summer evenings so it holds a strong emotional attachment. Along with a Senior, Airsporter, and two Webley mk3's acquired while still at school in the 1950's these became the nucleus of a collection which I started to build rather late in life in 1997, after the handgun ban. Since then my collection has grown to 100+ but these more recent acquisitions were on a 'wanted' list and hold none of the attachment that the two listed above have.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Can't see me ever selling my early Hurricane or '60's Senior. Years ago I sold my banana barrel Mk 1, regretted it ever since. The CO2's I have just don't have the same 'feel', I'm afraid.

I don't think you should discount all the CO2 pistols. I agree with you regarding the modern ones available now.The old bronze models are solid quality and also shoot very well, better than the Webleys. Here is one of mine, the Benjamin 257.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb055e4a.jpg
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not dissing older C02 pistols, just disappointed with one I've recently bought new. The Crosman 357 was good for the price, the Luger bb I've had great fun with - & it was very cheap, but the Dan Wesson 8", pricey - feels well made, but give me my old Wobbley's any time. At least I know the pellet will leave the barrel.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I don't think you should discount all the CO2 pistols. I agree with you regarding the modern ones available now.The old bronze models are solid quality and also shoot very well, better than the Webleys. Here is one of mine, the Benjamin 257.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb055e4a.jpg
    I had one of those sum time ago lovely gun it had a beautiful custom wooden grip on it but could I shoot the bloody thing for some reason I could not hit a barn door with it funny really as I am quite good with the old spring webley pistols I gave up trying in the end and sold it.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They are all a load of crap except the Feinwerkbau 65, the Walther LP53 and the Brno B96 semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    I had one of those sum time ago lovely gun it had a beautiful custom wooden grip on it but could I shoot the bloody thing for some reason I could not hit a barn door with it funny really as I am quite good with the old spring webley pistols I gave up trying in the end and sold it.
    Should have gone to Specsavers!
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD