Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marshall/ Whalley Crosmman 761XL

So dose any one know, how many were made/sold and how many are left in working order is mine the only one

I remember looking at them and thinking nice bit of kit , never got round to owning one but did eventually purchase a Crosman model 1 in .22 now that was a a good rifle

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by game getter View Post
    I remember looking at them and thinking nice bit of kit , never got round to owning one but did eventually purchase a Crosman model 1 in .22 now that was a a good rifle

Mike
    yes Mike agree, I have one myself.

Ah well then maybe mine is the only one still operating maybe i should call it Lucky

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    Ah well then maybe mine is the only one still operating maybe i should call it Lucky
    I think you might actually have the Last One In the World. Apart from that one in the huge collection of the Secret Collector who has hundreds of unfired air-rifles sitting in an underground gunroom that no-one knows the name of.

I had a Crosman 766 which was the cheap and cheerful younger but bigger brother of the 761XL that the Whalley was developed from and I wore it out over a summer of shooting. It was quite accurate but the whole Crosman range were really throwaway rifles for the American market whereby a child would be bought a Crosman pellet-gun on his 11th birthday and a .22 rimfire on his 12th. Not built to last, and the Walley is little more than a 761XL with a longer pump tube so they are all probably truly knackered by now. Except yours! I think you should get a bunch of clear acrylic and cast the biggest paperweight in the world. Then it will last 1,000 years.

I was very very disappointed with the one I saw at Bisley in the early 80s, tatty piece of junk. However the Sharp Innova and Victory were available then, showing the quality variety of pump-up, but by then I was into the springers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think you might actually have the Last One In the World. Apart from that one in the huge collection of the Secret Collector who has hundreds of unfired air-rifles sitting in an underground gunroom that no-one knows the name of.

I had a Crosman 766 which was the cheap and cheerful younger but bigger brother of the 761XL that the Whalley was developed from and I wore it out over a summer of shooting. It was quite accurate but the whole Crosman range were really throwaway rifles for the American market whereby a child would be bought a Crosman pellet-gun on his 11th birthday and a .22 rimfire on his 12th. Not built to last, and the Walley is little more than a 761XL with a longer pump tube so they are all probably truly knackered by now. Except yours! I think you should get a bunch of clear acrylic and cast the biggest paperweight in the world. Then it will last 1,000 years.

I was very very disappointed with the one I saw at Bisley in the early 80s, tatty piece of junk. However the Sharp Innova and Victory were available then, showing the quality variety of pump-up, but by then I was into the springers.
    can only agree, have the 766, Sharp Ace and Innova, allso Model1, 140, Benjamin 347. Daisy 922 .I think the 766 is a much better looking gun than the 760/761

Post Whaley Crossman

I have just actively come back to air gun shooting after 30 years and have a little used Whaley Crossman.
    It is in good condition and I wonder if there is a market for them and if so what value it would have.

Not the only one

So dose any one know, how many were made/sold and how many are left in working order is mine the only one
    I own a Whaley Crossman so you are not alone. I have not used it very much so is in good condition but power is around 10.5 for first shot and 10 for the second.

Red face Whaley Crossman

Ok I saw these in AGW back has an impresionable 14 year old in 1979/80. At £95.00 no way could I have one well many years latter I got a nice one of Draftsmann in .177. I payed a good price but after a few weeks it wouldnt pump, got that sortrd thanks to Brutuz and Welsh Willi. Now my question, old Rod Lynton hypded the bloody thing to hell ( he was involvded in the company(whalleys) selling them) in AGW, conflict of intrest there methinks. , its not the awesome rifle it was made out to be, It locks up if used in quick succession, I get 2 shoots for my efforts, both just under 11.2 first and 11 for second with Accupels. Now how many are left how many were made/ sold. Not evreyones cup of tea but I like them.
    I don't know how many are left but I own one. I also get 2 shots but both are under 11. I have no idea how many were sold or why Whaley went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno_7 View Post
    I own a Whaley Crossman so you are not alone. I have not used it very much so is in good condition but power is around 10.5 for first shot and 10 for the second.
    well thats good to know theres 2 of them left then

Quote Originally Posted by Johno_7 View Post
    I don't know how many are left but I own one. I also get 2 shots but both are under 11. I have no idea how many were sold or why Whaley went out of business.
    you may find it just needs a bit of use, any chance of some pics of yours, I cant post pics with this bloody chrome book but if i can ask one of the others here to let me send to them maybe we coould post pics then. My example really likes the Crossman domes the 7.9 grain ones and its very accurate with those. Has long has I fire 2 shots and give it a few seconds to "rest" the valve dose not heat up and lock.
    Last edited by fatttmannn; 16-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.