Thread: Sussex Armoury Jackal

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Sussex Armoury Jackal

I have an old Sussex Armoury AR7 Carbine that I've had since the late 70's/early 80's. The only pellets that it seems to like are the old Eley Wasps, and with those it shoots quite good groups. With all others it's, to put not too fine a point on it, crap. As anyone who's ever fired one will know, it's also "flipping" loud. So loud in fact that I'm very reluctant to use it in my back garden incase the noise convinces some well meaning neighbour that it's some kind of assault rifle!
    What I'm after is a longer barrel for it to a) make it quieter and, b) see if the longer barrel will be a bit more tolerant when it comes to using different pellets.
    Is anyone breaking a Jackal with a longer barrel, or even have a spare barrel that's buckshee?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Hi Harry

Years ago I was given an 8" barrel so I swapped them on my Jackal Woodsman (Or woodstock- I get them mixed up!!) The longer barrel should be in my garage somewhere but it's never turned up in the twenty five years or so when it was put in there!!

I don't hold any hopes that it will be any good either as it's quite damp in there (concrete sectional!)...

One day i'll have to get everything out and clear it- It'll be a big job though!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had a Jackel many many years ago and I'm sure that the barrel was just held in with a grub screw and then it either unscrews or is a push fit in, it may be worth taking yours out and seeing if someone can copy the end onto another barrel so you can fit that one instead (obviously you'll have to get another barrel from somewhere but barrel blanks pop up on here every now and then or chop an old barrel down)

Or

See if a Prosystem silencer will fit (I put one on my Jackel but not sure how much room you have between the end of the barrel and the stock, also have you tried the Defiant Vintage pellet through it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Good advice there, I have the Woodsman and Shes a noisey girl without the silencer, great gun though. As to pellets, give Milbro twin ring a try, works great in my Mk2 Airsporter and there not to expensive either. By the way if you decide to move the AR7 on can I have first dibs please, its about the only military rifle one I have never ownded.

Second dibs for the AR7.

Right, the longer barrel High Power type are pretty common having been made by Sussex Armoury and Air Arms. A really nice example change hands at about the £200 mark. Ropey ones less. I'm sure any collector would swop your AR7 for a High Power as AR7's though similar in so many ways are by far the rarest (for that matter noisiest).
    I wouldn't mess with the AR7 its too collectable even if fugly collectable.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I'd love to get a silencer for this, but fitting one would be (just about) impossible as the "flash hider" seems to be permanently attached to the barrel. In the 30 odd years I've had the rifle I've tried heat and hammering, penetrating oil and hammering, leverage and just plain old brute force. All to no avail.
    The rifle also needs re-bluing because when I was about 15 or so I thought silver guns were cool. Turns out they weren't, but this one now has no blue on it as a result, so definately not for sale chaps.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I'd love to get a silencer for this, but fitting one would be (just about) impossible as the "flash hider" seems to be permanently attached to the barrel. In the 30 odd years I've had the rifle I've tried heat and hammering, penetrating oil and hammering, leverage and just plain old brute force. All to no avail.
    The rifle also needs re-bluing because when I was about 15 or so I thought silver guns were cool. Turns out they weren't, but this one now has no blue on it as a result, so definately not for sale chaps.
    ok Harry enjoy, atb.