Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Webley smell

The Webley smell

As a Norwegian with a severe case of Anglophile Springgunitis, I have noticed that all my un-opened Webleys came to me with a very distinct smell...

The Trackers had it, the un-molested Osprey has it, the Victor has it, the Vulcan had it, some of the extra pistons I have bought off fleabay has it, and the Nemesis that came into my possession yesterday has it.

The problem is: Once I have stripped the guns, cleaned the old crud out of them and relubed them with the appropriate lubes recommended today, most of the Original Webley smell is gone

So- can the smell be restored? Is it the so called "web-oil" that creates the smell? Or does the smell of Birminghams lost airgunmanufacturer go away forever once I clean all the old dirt out of the guns?

Anglophile Springgunitis!! I'm just coming to terms with the Airsporteritis, is there any end to it?

So- can the smell be restored? Is it the so called "web-oil" that creates the smell? Or does the smell of Birminghams lost airgunmanufacturer go away forever once I clean all the old dirt out of the guns?[/QUOTE]

It's probrably like the smell of a new car's interior and gradually fades never to return,solvents in the lubricants used.You could always research what currently stands on the site of the Tay Road factory.
    If it's residential like the Triumph Motorcycle Factory Meriden site, you could relocate to England.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    It's probrably like the smell of a new car's interior and gradually fades never to return,solvents in the lubricants used.You could always research what currently stands on the site of the Tay Road factory.
    If it's residential like the Triumph Motorcycle Factory Meriden site, you could relocate to England.
    The thing is, none of these guns are new- they are ca. 15 to 40 years old, and so are their lubricants. I have a couple bottles of "web-oil" that have not been opened yet, I'll try and get around to it over the weekend.

The sad part is that I'm almost serious

...some more thoughts: the BSA's I have collcted (Early Supersport, Mercury, and an embarassingly large amount of Mk3-5 Meteors) does not have the same smell, but they are made in the same town. This assures me it must be related to the grease or oil the Webley factory used on their guns.

I've not noticed this with Webleys but old 1980s and 90s Eley Wasps had a distinct smell about them. Whenever a fresh tin was opened, you could smell the quality within. Not that I'm advocating sniffing copious amounts of lead

John

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Anglophile Springgunitis!! I'm just coming to terms with the Airsporteritis, is there any end to it?
    You don't come to terms with 'Airsporteritis' - you just live with it!
    And yes - you can get 'Trackeritis' too - my Wife has it - a double dose!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    You don't come to terms with 'Airsporteritis' - you just live with it!
    And yes - you can get 'Trackeritis' too - my Wife has it - a double dose!

ASM
    A chronic illness that can be managed but there is no cure available as yet.
    Why can't I stop buying Meteors?.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The thing is, none of these guns are new- they are ca. 15 to 40 years old, and so are their lubricants. I have a couple bottles of "web-oil" that have not been opened yet, I'll try and get around to it over the weekend.

The sad part is that I'm almost serious
    We stopped farming pigs thirty years ago,but I still detect an odour on the yard when it's warm.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    A chronic illness that can be managed but there is no cure available as yet.
    Why can't I stop buying Meteors?.
    That sounds like a classic case of 'Meteoritis' - cannot be cured - sorry!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thumbs up

I only have one Meteor now- It's a nickel plated mk1 in .177cal!, I dislike the later ones for how poorly they're made

I know the old airgun smell and it's beautiful and have only one gun that has the smell but it's German, A clapped out HW35!
    Someone greased it so heavily that it could have triggered a worldwide oil shortage!! I cleaned most of it out but couldn't bring myself to completely rid it of all!! I get it out occasionally just to have a quick smell at it!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    And yes - you can get 'Trackeritis' too - my Wife has it - a double dose! ASM
    There is only one known cure for 'Trackeritis'. You buy a Camo version, store it in a safe place, and it then drives you mad trying to find it.

I have a good sized cupboard in the spare room which at any given time will contain dozens of respectable elderly air guns, my wife can't understand the glazed look that overcomes me when I crack open the door, sniff the contents then close it quickly to preserve the aroma. Pure bliss.
    Mel.

I received my first 'serious' air rifle (BSA Cadet Major) as a Christmas present in 1957. The Cadet Major was consequently the first item on my list when I started collecting and shooting classic air guns. The smell and especially the unique noise when the gun is closed after cocking, takes me straight back to my childhood.

As has already been mentioned, there is also a particular moment when you open a cabinet containing some well lubricated old guns, when you just have to inhale deeply.

Regards

Brian

I think it's time to come out.

My name is MEL, I'm an AIRGUN SNIFFER.