Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter- the knowledge please

Airsporter- the knowledge please

Gentlemen,
    With rosiest tinted memories of literally days on end rabitting with a Mercury as a youth I am off down memory lane and want to purchase an airsporter. I know RB means rotary breech, I know the forend closed on the Mk7, I know about the Stutzen and the Centenary. Other than that I am in the dark- can one of those who follow this highest calling (airsporteritis?!) please either give me or point me in the direction of a potted history and varying spec of this hallowed rifle? Which one (.22) do I want?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    And to think I nearly fell into the soulless pit of pre-charged sterility- tsk!

Thumbs up

Everyone should own at least an airsporter but .......i also have a mercury and a rusty pos meteor
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Airsporter-which one

A nice rb carbine or full lenth should fit the bill. Shot lots of airsporters & that was the only one that impressed me,was full power & accurate enough to hunt with. wish I'd kept it now....

Before the Mk1 Airsporter, there was the .177 cal BSA Club
    The Aisporter was developed from that and the action is about 15mm longer giving a greater swept volume and more power

The .177 MK 1 Airsporters were called the Airsporter Club and although they are desirable, the shorter/earlier Club is worth a bit more

The MK1 was the best but does not have scope rails

The Mk2 looks very similar but cost cutting resulted in a slightly poorer rifle.

Gone was the tapered barrel which was replaced by a barrel brazed into the breech block. Even the piston was manufactured with cost savings in mind.
    Still a lovely rifle though. Although the scope dovetails are shallow and wide apart so mounts are not too easy to source but can be bought

Everything went downhill after that, although the much later standard RB2 models were accurate.

The Airsporter trigger never really evolved despite the number of facelifts which was disappointing.
    The RB2 Stutzen is probably the most attractive Airsporter but accuracy was poor. I had one and loved the looks and handling.
    hold me back !!

I have a mk2 here and its great fun, great to shoot and looks and feels the business.. very slim and light weight, tactile and doing 10. something fpe. Ive not had a scope on it due to the aforementioned scope rail problem - knibbs sells the mounts i believe, but they are dear. open sights at 10-15 yards standing I can get 1" grouping fairly easily.. get one!!

I can also vouch for the rb2 stutzen - although I never fired it, I handled one a few months ago and it is a beautiful looking gun, theres something about the stutzen stock and I think the airsporter does the design proud.
    Donald

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Being a long term sufferer of the dreaded 'Airsporteritis', I feel qualified to provide an answer.

If you want to shoot with a scope - you are going to have to forget possibly the best (in my opinion) of the Airsporter range - the Mk1, possibly too the Mk2 as the scope rails will not permit the fitting of a 1 piece scope mount - essential in my opinion on an Airsporter to prevent the dreaded creep!

If you want to shoot with a scope, a good Airsporter S should fit the bill, or an RB2. The RB2 has to be the ultimate in breech loading Airsporters as you are loading direct into the barrel and not into a tap - which can lead to mis-alignment/shaving problems.

So there you have it, if I could only own one Airsporter - it would have to be a good Mk1 as they are the purest of the Airsporter range - make sure you get one with a nice walnut stock, some of them had fairly poor quality stocks as at times, they had problems aquiring nice wood!

Good Luck!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Many thanks all- Mk1 or RB2 it is, possibly both!

No problem fitting scope rails to these old collectables if they do not have them. I usually make curved ones from pipe, but was lazy with this last one so I got it off the bay for just over 6 quid. Glue them on with Tiger Seal polyurethane glue which is very tough but can be removed later if required.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

In no particular order I have the following, 1965 Series 2 in .22, Series 1 Airsporter S in.22x2, Airsporter Stutzen Carbine again in .22 and all are a delight, enjoy.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    No problem fitting scope rails to these old collectables if they do not have them. I usually make curved ones from pipe, but was lazy with this last one so I got it off the bay for just over 6 quid. Glue them on with Tiger Seal polyurethane glue which is very tough but can be removed later if required.

Baz

That's an interesting concept - you can get the alloy scope ramps from China pretty cheaply . I have a project Mk1 in my head that would incorporate a new self made walnut stock, (elongated like a deerstalking rifle style) and a number of other nice 'mods' to bring it kicking and screaming into the modern world.
    Do you reckon this Tiger seal glue would do the business then? (I don't fancy drilling and tapping the top of the cylinder)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Dont forget the later Mk2 models had full length scope rails and auto opening taps(I have two)

I have most Mk's of the Airsporter and agree with most of the above, apart from I must be the only Airsporter nut that does not like the full length stock on the stutzen . variants. I do love the S models almost as much as the Mk1.

RB2 is the one if you really do want to hunt with one, but I would rather use a PCP or Pro sport to hunt. Sorry but its true. The truth is that the tap loader is not the best for assuring accuracy, but they are a joy to shoot.

PS. My Dads Mk1 was bought by him new, and was the first gun that I ever fired, and is also the gun that will never be sold.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 16-05-2015 at 02:44 PM.
    BASC

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Being a long term sufferer of the dreaded 'Airsporteritis', I feel qualified to provide an answer.

If you want to shoot with a scope - you are going to have to forget possibly the best (in my opinion) of the Airsporter range - the Mk1, possibly too the Mk2 as the scope rails will not permit the fitting of a 1 piece scope mount - essential in my opinion on an Airsporter to prevent the dreaded creep!

If you want to shoot with a scope, a good Airsporter S should fit the bill, or an RB2. The RB2 has to be the ultimate in breech loading Airsporters as you are loading direct into the barrel and not into a tap - which can lead to mis-alignment/shaving problems.

So there you have it, if I could only own one Airsporter - it would have to be a good Mk1 as they are the purest of the Airsporter range - make sure you get one with a nice walnut stock, some of them had fairly poor quality stocks as at times, they had problems aquiring nice wood!

Good Luck!

ASM
    As the the Man said !
    Accuracy.....then go for the RB2. I own a fabulous mint Rb2 Carbine .22 Calibre and it is so accurate and a joy to use. I don't hunt with it but I know it would do the job admirably.
    If you're looking for the "Thee" Airsporter Classic then look no further than the Mk. 1 and search for a really nice one, they're are a few still about !
    Good Luck !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Gentlemen,
    With rosiest tinted memories of literally days on end rabitting with a Mercury as a youth I am off down memory lane and want to purchase an airsporter. I know RB means rotary breech, I know the forend closed on the Mk7, I know about the Stutzen and the Centenary. Other than that I am in the dark- can one of those who follow this highest calling (airsporteritis?!) please either give me or point me in the direction of a potted history and varying spec of this hallowed rifle? Which one (.22) do I want?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    And to think I nearly fell into the soulless pit of pre-charged sterility- tsk!
    If I were you I would stay away from the Airsporter and go for the Mercury you loved as a youth much less to go wrong , as Airsporters can be a nightmare and I always find the break barrel Merc much more fun to use
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    If I were you I would stay away from the Airsporter and go for the Mercury you loved as a youth much less to go wrong , as Airsporters can be a nightmare and I always find the break barrel Merc much more fun to use
    The last of the Mercurys (Mk3) complement the best of the Airsporters.

It has a breech screw instead of a pin and is lightweight and accurate.
    I have one in .177 and it shoots around 10 ft lbs and is very accurate.

Mercury Challengers which came just after the Mk3's are also well worth owning (hence their secondhand values)
    These rifles are light weight, handle great and are accurate and powerful air rifles.

The accuracy of the Mercurys tends to be better than Airsporters probably due to the better feed of pellet into breech. Mercury S models are also worth getting your hands on and then bingo you are addicted and have a BSA collection
    All good fun!
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    The last of the Mercurys (Mk3) complement the best of the Airsporters.

It has a breech screw instead of a pin and is lightweight and accurate.
    I have one in .177 and it shoots around 10 ft lbs and is very accurate.

Mercury Challengers which came just after the Mk3's are also well worth owning (hence their secondhand values)
    These rifles are light weight, handle great and are accurate and powerful air rifles.

The accuracy of the Mercurys tends to be better than Airsporters probably due to the better feed of pellet into breech. Mercury S models are also worth getting your hands on and then bingo you are addicted and have a BSA collection
    All good fun!
    yes agree allso like the Mercurey, have a 635 /25 carbine andd a series 2 Mercurey S in .177