Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airsporter- the knowledge please

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    The Mercury is a very fine rifle, with the same 'classic' looks of the Airsporter - if you like the break barrel version - it's a very good choice!
    Like Dean - I am personally not a great fan of the Stutty Airsporters but they do have a good following.
    I forgot that some of the very late Mk 2s had continuous machined slots for a scope. (my only example has the 4 separate slots and they are 14/15mm instead of the usual 11mm - so scope mount choice is limited) To be honest, I believe the Mk1s and Mk2s have such good fixed sights, it's almost a travesty to fit a scope - enjoy the 'purity' of shooting 'old style' with them.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    That's an interesting concept - you can get the alloy scope ramps from China pretty cheaply . I have a project Mk1 in my head that would incorporate a new self made walnut stock, (elongated like a deerstalking rifle style) and a number of other nice 'mods' to bring it kicking and screaming into the modern world.
    Do you reckon this Tiger seal glue would do the business then? (I don't fancy drilling and tapping the top of the cylinder)

ASM
    The rail I got from gazelleoutdoors in China is steel. Only use Tiger Seal on metal surfaces if you want to remove the glue later. You can use it on any surface such as wood and plastic if you want a permanent fixture as it sticks like heck. I put my wing mirror back on with it after it was smashed off my car, also the large mud flaps on my old van.It adheres in a couple of hours but allow 24 hours for a solid fix.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The rail I got from gazelleoutdoors in China is steel. Only use Tiger Seal on metal surfaces if you want to remove the glue later. You can use it on any surface such as wood and plastic if you want a permanent fixture as it sticks like heck. I put my wing mirror back on with it after it was smashed off my car, also the large mud flaps on my old van.It adheres in a couple of hours but allow 24 hours for a solid fix.

Baz
    Tiger seal or Sikoflex (same stuff) is what panels are fitted to vehicles with, and also what windscreens are bonded in with.

Different brands sometimes call it panel adhesive if you buy it from an automotive supplier. It sets into what is basically solid synthetic rubber. You will have to cut it off to remove it with a wire or stanley blade, as I dont know any other way of removing it.

I am useless over 20 yards on open sights so a rail conversion would be my way forward to use on a regular basis, but only if the gun didnt have any etching left. Both of my Mk 2's have modern mounts and nice older glossy scopes on. I'm far too used to shooting 10x mag for competitions now to manage open sights for anything other than plinking. My Mk1's will stay original though but good luck if you do convert and I would be interested to see the results..
    BASC