Thread: Sub 12 long distance target shooting

Sub 12 long distance target shooting

Hi .
    After a couple of hours target shooting and checking my zero this afternoon the farmer came over and had a couple of shots at around 40 meters but couldn't understand why he had to aim low to hit the POA . I explained the rifle was zeroed at 50 meters and 10 meters and holding under was necessary for all the ranges Inbetween . He then asked how far my rifle would shoot accurately and I said I didn't have a clue beyond 50 meters so he walked off then picked the target up and walked out even further. When he got back he said the target was at 80 yards and I pinged it at 81 . As you will see from the pics I guessed the hold over and took my first shot then calculated the windage and the actual hold over from there . I ended up aiming 3.5 mildot over and 3.0 mildot to the left and was surprised how well the rifle grouped at that range and also how much penetration the pellets still got on the MDF back board .I am not in any way promoting hunting at such ranges but was wondering if anyone else had fired at extreme range just for fun and what results they got from their rifle . I looked on YouTube but the videos I watched were made by FAC shooters . I was firing a AA S410 classic in .177 using JSB Exact Diabolo @ 8.44gr and 11.6 ft lbs from a prone position . The target was a 1" dia sticker with a 6mm POA .Thanks for your time. Atb Ricky
    http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...EBA5EB085D.jpg
    http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...51B2D0CBD4.jpg

Very good grouping, I would love to try my Hw100 with T35 at that sort of distance, just what it's made for.

I think Cubley Cat was one of the first to demonstrate long range target shooting (with sub 12ftlb rifles) 100-200 meters. She still has some videos on the web.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

I regularly shoot at ranges out to 100 yards with some friends, we use the metal knockdown/reset targets and have them set up next to a patch of sand so we can have a test shot or two to gauge windage. Its amazed me just how accurate and consistent air guns are at this range.

I've just purchased a Falcon 4-14x44FFP with MOA line reticle and BKL 30mm low mounts specifically so that my .22 TX200HC has a scope that allows me to have aimpoints from 10-100 yards. The pellet (JSB Jumbo) is dropping 46 inches over that range on a slightly elevated shot. Its challenging and fun, and a real buzz when you put the target down and then reset with you next shot.

Quote Originally Posted by longsider View Post
    ...I am not in any way promoting hunting at such ranges but was wondering if anyone else had fired at extreme range just for fun and what results they got from their rifle .
    There's a whole Long Range Target Shooting sub-forum here on the BBS. It's a bit quiet in there, but also plenty of interesting LR tinkering. 75-80 yards is a good distance for the LongRanger IMO, significantly longer than most people shoot at, but not so far that it becomes a guessing game, 1" groups at those ranges are quite doable, as you've demonstrated.

Looks like you've got it sorted! Reading the wind is the name of the game once you have an accurate set-up, sometimes I'm "on it" other days I'm totally out of sync . Dialing for the range and then aiming off for the wind works better for me, there's one less thing to get wrong (yes I've spoilt a nice group by picking the wrong MD for my holdover ).

Some of the tightest long range groups I shot were in a stiff breeze (20 mph R>L) but it was very consistent, then you'll get a mere zephyr that flicks L/R/L and suddenly your 3 inches off target... grrrr.

Have a go at the 75 Yard Shotgun Shell Challenge:
    -Here's the thread started by magnummike, go to post #31 at the bottom of the page there's a downloadable and printable paper target for those who don't have any empties lying around.
    Here's an example of the paper target.

Keep up the good work, it's fun.

Hi again . Firstly sorry for the late response to this thread . After being surprised by my first tests at distance I tried firing at a identical 1" sticker and POA placed at a pinged 100 yards out . The additional 20 yards made a significant difference to the results . Firstly my hold over calculations needed to be way higher than my mildot reticle allowed so it was a matter of guessing the remaining hold over using aim points on distant trees and the rest of the solid reticle below the mildots . Windage calculations were much the same as was pellet penetration .I did hit the inch target a couple of times in a string of 10 shots but it was more luck than management but is still a lesson to anyone taking shots into the unknown while shooting outdoors using the "it's only a air rifle" mindset . These tests , while just for fun ,prove that a sub 12 air rifle is more than capable of causing damage to property and people over huge distances outside the accepted 25 - 40 yard hunting range . I am a self confessed technophobe but will try to locate the sub forum you mentioned . My scope , which is a MTC Viper 3-12 x 44 , is maybe not the best for the task . I would like a scope that allowed me to constantly dial in and out of different ranges but I don't think these turrets are up to the job even though I think it's a great hunting scope and holds zero well . The shotgun cartridge at 75 yards seems like a more achievable challenge and I will give it a go and get back to you . Thanks again atb Ricky

We put on a long range event at our club last autumn and here is a card shot at 60 yards. Stiff wind blowing from about the 7 o'clock direction, that is to say, to the left of and from behind the shooter.

This was shot with my Daystate Airwolf in 177 and with my Falcon T50 on top, on loan to a club member for the event.

The pellet holes have been enlarged digitally to 5.5mm, that's why they appear to be so clean; the true ammo was JSB 10.3 grain Exact Heavy.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps7ec14fa8.jpg

Footnote: the competitor was so pleased with his results he bought the scope off me.....
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

... I am a self confessed technophobe but will try to locate the sub forum you mentioned .. The shotgun cartridge at 75 yards seems like a more achievable challenge and I will give it a go and get back to you . Thanks again atb Ricky
    I've included a direct link in my post above, it's the bit in blue, click on that and it will take you to the sub-forum. Alternatively, when you first go to the General Airgun section right at the top of the page are the various sub-forums, Long Range Target Shooting is the second one down.

Definitely give the shotgun shell challenge ago, I'm the only one who's tried the paper version and posted the outcome so far , makes you wonder where all the "I regularly shoot flies at 80 yards" brigade are?

...My scope , which is a MTC Viper 3-12 x 44 , is maybe not the best for the task . I would like a scope that allowed me to constantly dial in and out of different ranges but I don't think these turrets are up to the job even though I think it's a great hunting scope and holds zero well.
    There's a couple of solutions other than dialling:

-Turn the mag down.
    With a 35 yard zero I need about 8 MilDots for 100 yards, if you're in the same ball park at 12x mag then turn it down to 6 x (the distance between each dot is now doubled) so the 4th dot down is now about right. Seems a bit odd to reduce the mag for long range targets but its an easy way to get around the issue.

- Use a separate aiming mark, like you did. start with a point about 30" above the target, which should get most full power .177's with a 30-40 yard zero somewhere near. A nice long stick/bit of wood with a flourescent sticker on is visible and easy to adjust.

HTH, and happy long ranging.

Sent using TapaTalk voice control ThorBeta

We are lucky enough to have a long range and shooting small objects at 70 + yards is part of the fun.
    Empty shotties and eye drop bottles(we are getting on a bit) are favourites.
    Strangely I can't recall anyone shooting paper.
    Probably too far to walk!
    We will give it a go.