Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nipple Key

Nipple Key

I'm in need of a nipple key for a Ruger Old Army.
    Anywhere in the UK to get one or can I use one from a modern replica.

Quote Originally Posted by weebeestie View Post
    Try Henry kranks

If you just need something to do the job, a 3/16" socket works fine on my ROA (though I've heard that the correct size is 5/32")

If you are asking about removing the nipples from an original ROA, then, as the guys above noted, you'll need a mini-socket or tube-spanner [like those made by Elora]. AFAIK, only the ROA actually has nipples of this design - no modern replica of an old revolver does, but then, the ROA is not a replica.

tac

Thanks guys,
    looks like I'll need to find an appropriate socket and keep looking on American sites.

The easiest thing to do is drill a hole down a piece of steel bar on your lathe and then cut off anything that stops it fitting on the nipple. Much easier than trying to buy one.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

3/16 is the size for standard ROA,I have an original Ruger wrench but choose to use a 3/16th socket,they don't fit in the nipple pocket without taking down the outside diameter,can be done on a bench grinder but a 3/16th nut driver from online should be ideal without work if it fits down the pocket.
    The Ruger tool isn't a great fit in itself anyway,a little large for the pocket and somewhat crude tool,the screwdriver on the other end is a sure way to scratch up the loading lever screw...imo.

I'll give a 3/16" socket a try when I source one.

Jeez, when are these yanks gonna get metricated.

Try Joe and Suzi over at The Gun Works.

They sell a fantastic quality key, and you can stock up on spare nipples at a bargain price.

I only paid £15 extra on customs import fee - and £8 of that was our beloved Royal Mail 'handling fee'

Arrived in 6 days.
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    The easiest thing to do is drill a hole down a piece of steel bar on your lathe and then cut off anything that stops it fitting on the nipple. Much easier than trying to buy one.
    Ahem....the ROA nipple has a hexagonal fitting, so you would be making a hex box spanner. While it could be done, I would not describe that as the easiest thing to do....
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBall View Post
    Try Joe and Suzi over at The Gun Works.

They sell a fantastic quality key, and you can stock up on spare nipples at a bargain price.

I only paid £15 extra on customs import fee - and £8 of that was our beloved Royal Mail 'handling fee'

Arrived in 6 days.
    Feel free to do that.

On the other hand, I just walk right through the door, buy what I need for the guys here, bring 'em back, and pay nothing at all to the gubmint - ask anybody who has had stuff from them that I got for them.

Still, don't let me get in the way of you paying your patriotic dues!

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Feel free to do that.

On the other hand, I just walk right through the door, buy what I need for the guys here, bring 'em back, and pay nothing at all to the gubmint - ask anybody who has had stuff from them that I got for them.

tac
    I can affirm that tac procured a set of ROA stainless nipples for me and that they were perfect in every way, and way cheap.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Feel free to do that.

tac
    Ah, yes, your upcoming USA trip ?

I agree that's cool to know, and tbh that £8 Royal Mail 'Handling Fee' does make the blood boil.

Like I said on the thread about higher Ruger Old Army front sight blades, well worth a pint or two to you tac
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Ahem....the ROA nipple has a hexagonal fitting, so you would be making a hex box spanner. While it could be done, I would not describe that as the easiest thing to do....
    Ah, a challenge.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Peter Starley has them in stock, he bought a load of Ruger Old Army spares direct from the factory.
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC