Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW99 standard spring spec please.

HW99 standard spring spec please.

I recently got a new 50s from Holland which was a bit hot when I chronoed it. This could of be due to dieseling but I wondered if it has more spring than the uk 99s version. I have added the 50s spring spec to the spring database thread but couldn't see a confirmed 99s spring spec on there. Does anyone have the actual measured data from a recent 99s? I have chopped the spring, made guides, polished and relubed the 50s but its still a bit stiff to cock and boingy so when I get my chrono back it will be apart again. Just wondered if a 99s spring would be different and make the gun sweeter to shoot if fitted. So far the 50s has not got me that excited but I know lots like the 99.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I recently got a new 50s from Holland which was a bit hot when I chronoed it. This could of be due to dieseling but I wondered if it has more spring than the uk 99s version. I have added the 50s spring spec to the spring database thread but couldn't see a confirmed 99s spring spec on there. Does anyone have the actual measured data from a recent 99s? I have chopped the spring, made guides, polished and relubed the 50s but its still a bit stiff to cock and boingy so when I get my chrono back it will be apart again. Just wondered if a 99s spring would be different and make the gun sweeter to shoot if fitted. So far the 50s has not got me that excited but I know lots like the 99.
    I've got a new spring marked as HW95 UK Spec.,250mm long,O.D.21mm,I.D.14.5mm and 33 coils including the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I've got a new spring marked as HW95 UK Spec.,250mm long,O.D.21mm,I.D.14.5mm and 33 coils including the ends.
    It's a 50 (99) he's on about - not a 95.

Paul.

Please excuse my ignorance but I thought the 99S and the 95K might share some internal components,are they completely different?
    All the best.

Please excuse my ignorance but I thought the 99S and the 95K might share some internal components,are they completely different?
    All the best.
    Yes mate - they are different. The 95 has a much longer stroke than a 50/99.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    Yes mate - they are different. The 95 has a much longer stroke than a 50/99.

Paul.
    Thank you,I'd always thought they had similar actions

that does not sound very good maximus, just about to dive in a buy a 99s as a project.you might have a early one with the cocking/gauling problems[ easy sorted ,as I know you like tinkering] keep us updated mate
    atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

All the best.
    Same 26mm bore, but I think that's about it. As above, short stroke, shorter cylinder = less spring room and, I'd guess, different pistons (will have to measure next time I have a play), as the 99's cocking lever has the "horn" built in whereas the 95 employs a sliding cocking shoe. Guessing a shorter, lighter piston in the 99?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Will have to check, but also wondering if an LGV spring might do the trick?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    that does not sound very good maximus, just about to dive in a buy a 99s as a project.you might have a early one with the cocking/gauling problems[ easy sorted ,as I know you like tinkering] keep us updated mate
    atb john
    It's a brand new 50s which is identicle to the 99s I think. The spring in mine is almost the same spec as an 80 spring detailed on the spring database thread. It does have the anti gauling strip fitted and seems ok on that front. Not as easy as an 80 to keep stripping and rebuilding with those little peg things but it needs to be done!

No one got the specs to hand for a 99s spring??
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

iv got the size of a titan xs aftermarket spring for the hw99 / 77 if it helps , the id and od should be the same ?
    od 21mm x id 14.5mm .wire 3.25mm . coils 31 . length 280 mm . personaly I can not see a std hw80 spring going in a 99 as its a 26mm piston [hw99] against a 30mm piston of the hw80 ?
    atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    iv got the size of a titan xs aftermarket spring for the hw99 / 77 if it helps , the id and od should be the same ?
    od 21mm x id 14.5mm .wire 3.25mm . coils 31 . length 280 mm . personaly I can not see a std hw80 spring going in a 99 as its a 26mm piston [hw99] against a 30mm piston of the hw80 ?
    atb john
    I think the new 80's have a smaller diameter spring, the one in the spring thread is almost identicle to mine. In line with current wisdom on here I was thinking of sticking with the standard spring which has a fair amount of pre-load so maybe softer than a titan. I have used the no.5 in my 95 which is a weedy looking spring but still makes power easily. The trade off with the shorter stroke guns is cocking effort which is notably stiffer on the 50 than the 95. If you are looking for a 99 be careful what you pay as the 50s is only £175 to your door from
    DB-shietsport though they are worth chronoing when you get hold of it
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

spring

My 99s 0.22 is running with a Titan no. 10 with delrin guide and top hat, Doing 11.4 ft/lb with JSB and the same with RWS Hobbies. It is just bedding in but already rather pleasant. Easy to cock and barely any recoil. No chopping needed.

ATB Marton

Cheers Marci, dont suppose you have the old spring to hand so that you could take a few measurements off it?

Cheers

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Sorry Maximus! Working abroad for another 2 weeks so can not take measurement. From memory it was 220 mm long 14.2 ID 20.2 OD but I did not count the coils.
    I hope it helps!
    Marton