Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw80k choked or not?

Hw80k choked or not?

Hi Chaps

My 80 project continues and the metalwork is stripped ready for a reblue.

It's a 1991 Hw80k with the grooves for front sites. I was planning on getting it re-crowned and half unf thread added so I can use the HW silencer I have on my hw100, but it got me thinking...

Is the barrel choked and if so would I lose that if the unf thread and re-crowned work was done?

The price for the unf and re-crown nearly equals that of a new slimtech so there is an argument to just get one of those but I do have a lot of confidence in the new HW mods and this will be a hunting tool.

But if the work will affect the choke, if there is one, then it's a no-brainer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

All the best
    Rob

Every HW barrel that I have ever pushed a pellet down with a dowel has not been choked. There may be a very slight amount of resistance at the end due to the manufacture of the sight dovetails.

I have Lothar Walther barrel's here at home that have a noticeable tightness in the last inch or so.

Try pushing a pellet down with a wood dowell/plastic rod.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    all weihrauch barrels are choked. this has been discussed before.even a guy from weihrauch has confirmed this.
    there is absolutly no way a barrel could be accidently chocked when the dove tails for the sights are made.

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    all weihrauch barrels are choked. this has been discussed before.even a guy from weihrauch has confirmed this.
    there is absolutly no way a barrel could be accidently chocked when the dove tails for the sights are made.

All 16 of my Weihrauch spring guns are not choked.........guess I got unlucky!

i spoke to a suppler of weihrauch barrel blanks yesterday , he said they are all un choked

Its a wonder no one has offered a re-barrel service in more recent times? I seem to recall a few HWs having Diana and Anschutz barrels transplanted onto them in days of old. I wonder if that service would ever be offered again? Would make for a pretty unique weapons. Possibly a tad more accurate too if say a lothar barrel was chosen?
    Dave

If it was choked, removing & recrowning it will probably affect the diet of pellets it prefers, find one it likes & you're sorted.

Proper recrown is far more important than a choke

Thanks all, so I'll guess we'll go for unchoked then.

I'm guessing having the unf work done will not affect accuracy by making the already carbine barrel a little shorter?

Hans says all choked - he should know
    The barrels shoot just as well lopped and crowned, cept a few recent 22 and 20 cal barrels
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    The barrels shoot just as well lopped and crowned, cept a few recent 22 and 20 cal barrels
    Interesting, although the consensus is it shouldn't affect accuracy if I find the right pellet, even if it a carbine in the first place.

I've never shot the rifle (it's in bits), so I planned to do the usual pellet testing process once it's all sorted.

Thanks again all.

you didnt ought to loose the choke if you're re crowning any way . unless you end up taking a substantial amount off.
    same with the moderator thread , that wont affect the choke .
    i'm sure ive seen adapter that slips over barrel and has grub screw with the mod thread fitting . that might be simpler than screw cutting your barrel .
    pretty easy to make ,
    and deffo less chance of cock up and having to lose barrel length.

what diameter your barrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    pardon my ignorance , but who is Hans ?

just spoke to a knowledgeable friend and he suggested that maybe the blanks are unchoked and the finished barrels are choked ....interesting.

Back in the 1980s we used to buy standard guns and chop off the barrels to 12.5 inch and recrown them .
    This never effected the gun if owt the groups got better never bigger.
    we used slide on silancers we did this on HW80s and HW77s.
    we did this as there was no K guns at the time plus we wanted rid of the crimp end.
    these 12.5 barrels shoot real good we used them on our FT guns at the time right till the end of 87 when we got pcp guns

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    i spoke to a suppler of weihrauch barrel blanks yesterday , he said they are all un choked
    the slight resistance you mention towards the end of the barrel when pushing pellets down
    is the choke!

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    maybe the barrel blanks are un choked, but barrels that come from the factory on guns
    are def choked.