Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw80k choked or not?

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    pardon my ignorance , but who is Hans ?

just spoke to a knowledgeable friend and he suggested that maybe the blanks are unchoked and the finished barrels are choked ....interesting.
    hans is the main man from weihrauch!

Quote Originally Posted by OUTCAST View Post
    Back in the 1980s we used to buy standard guns and chop off the barrels to 12.5 inch and recrown them .
    This never effected the gun if owt the groups got better never bigger.
    we used slide on silancers we did this on HW80s and HW77s.
    we did this as there was no K guns at the time plus we wanted rid of the crimp end.
    these 12.5 barrels shoot real good we used them on our FT guns at the time right till the end of 87 when we got pcp guns
    That's good to hear. The carbine barrel is 12.5inches with the grooves for the front sights, if the work cut the barell to lose these grooves it would make the barrel a nudge over 11inches.

The question is twofold, would this make it too short for accuracy? Would it muck up the balance of the rifle (it will have the standard HW mod)?
    Last edited by RobJ; 26-04-2015 at 11:51 AM.

I have a tuned hw99 that I wanted shorter so I tested the barrel it was defo choked ,

However I still cut it right down to 10.5 inch re crowned and fitted a konceptus silencer the accuracy is still spot on ,

See pic here http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps1d3075b1.jpg
    AirgunBBS.com

yep choked

yes it's choked Rob .
    about the last inch

HW do a slip on sillencer that is designed to go over the foresight mounting grooves. It works very well and is a lot ore solidthan most adaptors (except the parker-hale one).

My HW80 has a barrel chopped down to 10" (from the muzzle) and is still as accurate as anything else comparable that I own. I believe that the "choke" on HW's with open sights is just a result of crimping in the fore sight grooves, hardly scientific! The first time I heard of choked barrels as a selling feature was on Theobens where the add said it would be less pellet fussy, another new term on me at the time!!. When I eventually bought one I soon learned what pellet fussy meant!! The only pellets it shot well were superdomes. My previous BSA's and HW's seemed much more tolerant.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    My HW80 has a barrel chopped down to 10" (from the muzzle) and is still as accurate as anything else comparable that I own. I believe that the "choke" on HW's with open sights is just a result of crimping in the fore sight grooves, hardly scientific! The first time I heard of choked barrels as a selling feature was on Theobens where the add said it would be less pellet fussy, another new term on me at the time!!. When I eventually bought one I soon learned what pellet fussy meant!! The only pellets it shot well were superdomes. My previous BSA's and HW's seemed much more tolerant.
    barrels are not accidently choked when the foresight is crimped! what sort of heath robinson affair would that be.they are choked in house,this has been
    confirmed by hans from weirauch.barrel blanks from weihrauch may not be choked but those on guns leaving the factory are.
    if your "theory" of barrels getting choked when the foresight is crimped, how would you explain choking in a gun that is supplied without sights?

I rejuvenated a basket case 80 a few years back and one of the jobs was a nice shortening of the barrel to 14", re-crown, and screwcut by UK Neil. It is superbly accurate and not particularly pellet fussy although best results have been with AA Field or Falcon AP, I wouldn't worry at all about getting yours shortened, choked or not!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Its a wonder no one has offered a re-barrel service in more recent times? I seem to recall a few HWs having Diana and Anschutz barrels transplanted onto them in days of old...
    Funny you should mention Anschutz barrel transplants, Dave, my HW95 currently has a full length (18.5") .177" 335 barrel.

The 1990s .22" HW barrel that formerly occupied the breech block was most definitely choked, and there were no foresight grooves, so the choke was deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    yes it's choked Rob .
    about the last inch
    Thanks Phil, I thought as much. Someone on another forum posted a mail from Hans stating that yes they are choked.

The irony is my mate pointed out to me that re-crowning and threading wouldn't require chopping the barrel so it renders the original post moot. Good discussion though.

Good luck with the straightening! Really appreciate your help with this. Let's catch up next week.

Quote Originally Posted by shauny View Post
    barrels are not accidently choked when the foresight is crimped! what sort of heath robinson affair would that be.they are choked in house,this has been
    confirmed by hans from weirauch.barrel blanks from weihrauch may not be choked but those on guns leaving the factory are.
    if your "theory" of barrels getting choked when the foresight is crimped, how would you explain choking in a gun that is supplied without sights?
    I had read this theory in an airgun mag years ago. I guess they must crimp the foresight grooves prior to doing the rifling as there can be little doubt that deforming the metal for the grooves would certainly affect the bore geometry at that point. John Bowkett shortened HW barrels to get rid of the crimped end as he believed it was detrimental.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I had read this theory in an airgun mag years ago. I guess they must crimp the foresight grooves prior to doing the rifling as there can be little doubt that deforming the metal for the grooves would certainly affect the bore geometry at that point. John Bowkett shortened HW barrels to get rid of the crimped end as he believed it was detrimental.
    mmm, i suppose one could argue all day about such matters,but a company such as weihrauch
    are hardly just starting in the air rifle game.if the crimping was in any way to flaw the barrels,
    i think they would have made the relevant changes by now.

I think the crimping refers to the hw77, not the break barrels

Quote Originally Posted by darkdd81 View Post
    I think the crimping refers to the hw77, not the break barrels
    hows that then??? the break barrels have the slide on unit that slides on to
    the crimped rails, not the 77

if the choke was formed by crimping the top of the barrel , you might expect there to be some uneven roundness of the bore i'll see if i can detect that ......