Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAC springs

Which brings up another point....
    The gun that initially contained the spring in question would have been capable of producing greater than 12fpe in its untouched state. As indeed ALL HW97 commonly purchased in the UK are.
    So, where does that lead us?
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Isn't only parts stamped FAC what are classed fac verminator66 made a post other day about a barel on egay where the seler was arrested I remember that but the barrel was stamped FAC as we're most genuine Theoben FAC barrels as was there fast flow units . I remember trying to get a 19 inch barrel from Ben Taylor to be told these can only be old to people with fac , yet Theoben stype and ttr came with 19 inch barrels as standerd sub 12 guns so unless the part is stamped FAC I wouldn't worry about it .also the statement about a FAC regulator not sure how that would work or what statement your trying to make as all regulators are the same just set at a different psi output

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    spring - a piece of curved or bent metal that can be pressed into a smaller space but then returns to its usual shape:

A spring is only a FAC spring when it's fitted to a gun. Otherwise it's just a piece of twisted metal.
    And even that would depend on the situation,

Perhaps this spring would fit a different rifle where it would be under 12fpe

Only once a collection of parts are assembled in to a working item does that collection of parts become "an air rifle" at which point the owner/builder must ensure that it complies with UK law.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I can't be wrong, I'm not holding an opinion.
    Good one Rich, but no one loves a pedant, or a smart arse...!

A few years ago a club member asked me to fix his FAC rifle, but reputable suppliers wouldn't sell me the bits, 'cos I wasn't an RFD.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Only once a collection of parts are assembled in to a working item does that collection of parts become "an air rifle" at which point the owner/builder must ensure that it complies with UK law.
    I run a Diana 52 with the full FAC spring installed, the gun is sleeved to 25mm and has 75mm stroke, with the 16J spring it produced 8fpe so I needed the stiffer spring to produce 11fpe as the spring is no where near compressed to produce the energy needed for fac.

It gets more complicated by the minute.

What I do hate to see is gun shops openly selling FAC springs to any punter and just saying this spring will make the gun shoot well. Case in point was sale of an OX to a HW80 owner in a shop local to me. After the lad left I questioned the sale...and was told its just a spring, and nowt to do with us what the punter does with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Again, the point is missed. A ball bearing didn't start out life intended to be a component of an airgun; it's a generic component with a myriad of uses. Likewise, a spring is a curly piece of wire, is a spring.

But this 20 joule spring was specifically part of a firearm, it's not just any old spring from a ball pen or a cart.

Corky, thanks for understanding the question.
    Think of this. Apart from the arguments I made previously, you have no idea what the purchaser intends to do with it - chop bits of it off perhaps to experiment and bring the gun down to limits? Is an FAC holder or intends to become one? Apologies for repeating myself.

- That same spring could be used in another gun where it it would not make that gun "illegal" - say one with a longer cylinder - so inversely would owning a collection of springs be illegal because if one gun's spring is fitted to another gun, the second one would be overpowered? Say an HW80 spring in an HW97 (forget the technicalities for a moment).

Let's get this out of the way - there is no need to be holier than the pope, this sort of take on things generally backfires. Stay legal, and let whoever is in charge of upholding the law do their thing, there is no obligation to do so yourself, especially not on the basis of "what ifs".
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Apologies AB, I did not copy you, just read your post re "Perhaps this spring would fit a different rifle where it would be under 12fpe" - parallel thinking
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS