Thread: Hw80 k barrel removal

Hw80 k barrel removal

Morning all , especially HW ists.....

could you tell me if its possible to remove the barrel from the breech block and refit .
    i think the complete assy will be too big to go in the lathe for a recrown and mod thread .

ive got heat , and a press if i need .

thanks
    phil

Yes you can remove the barrel. I have an HW80 breech block in the man cave that has had a new barrel fitted. There is a pin that runs through the breech (cross ways) and I believe it holds the barrel in place. I assume it is a press fit then - maybe someone who has actually refitted one could advise. Another option would be to make a faceplate to hold in a three jaw chuck and turn the end on a fixed steady.

Looking from the breech end, the cross pin is on the left hand face of the breech block, toward the rear. The pin fits in a stopped hole, is fairly soft and drills easily, and from memory I think I used a 6mm twist bit.

The section of the barrel in the breech block has four straight knurled sections, accounting for perhaps 60% of its length, and is extremely reluctant to move.

thank you gentlemen .
    top work.

i'm reluctant to chuck it up and use a fixed steady , as this relies on the circumference being concentric to the bore .

apart from that......i haven't got a fixed steady
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 28-04-2015 at 01:13 PM.

HW Barell removal

Check out Nick Carter's "Another Airgun Blogspot", Reanimating HW80 P3 covers the removal and replacement in detail.
    HTH

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Morning all , especially HW ists.....

could you tell me if its possible to remove the barrel from the breech block and refit .
    i think the complete assy will be too big to go in the lathe for a recrown and mod thread .

ive got heat , and a press if i need .

thanks
    phil
    Hi Phil, depending on your headstock length / lathe make , could you not use a collet chuck attachment and insert the barrel from the back end (oh er missus)...Or do you know someone with a Boxford?

ATB, Ed

Ed the barrel is only 12.5 inches . thats the problem , a longer full length barrel would stickout far enough for the breech block to clear the rear spider.
    ive got 15" from end of spider to end of 4 jaw, i could lose the spider if i keep the revs low but i'd only save 1 1/2".

I think the best way will be to remove the breech block .
    What's the relevance of a boxford ?.....got it .....massive spindle bore ?....it would need to be pretty big...
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 28-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.

hw 80 barrel

the boxford has a spindle bore not much bigger than a Mcdonalds straw so totaly use less for the job your looking at doing. my colchester has a bore of 2 1/8" and that is still to small the breech will catch the spindle bore and throw it out of centre what i have done in the past is fit my bigger chuck that has a bore of 3" then i made some soft jaws and held it that way if you have independant moving jaws as in a 4 jaw chuck you can then clock it up to the bore a fiddly job. if your just looking at threading it why dont you hold it between centres ?????

Quote Originally Posted by airtech View Post
    the boxford has a spindle bore not much bigger than a Mcdonalds straw so totaly use less for the job your looking at doing. my colchester has a bore of 2 1/8" and that is still to small the breech will catch the spindle bore and throw it out of centre what i have done in the past is fit my bigger chuck that has a bore of 3" then i made some soft jaws and held it that way if you have independant moving jaws as in a 4 jaw chuck you can then clock it up to the bore a fiddly job. if your just looking at threading it why dont you hold it between centres ?????
    thanks airtech , that would work for threading sure .
    But i've got to put a crown on it too .

i never thought i'd be saying that 12 1/2" was too short when coming in from the back
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 29-04-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: very poor typing

Quote Originally Posted by HOMER View Post
    Check out Nick Carter's "Another Airgun Blogspot", Reanimating HW80 P3 covers the removal and replacement in detail.
    HTH
    Thanks chum
    http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...chive.html?m=1