Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having done so much shed tuning / sleaving / chopping / engineering "corrections"...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Having done so much shed tuning / sleaving / chopping / engineering "corrections"...

... I now want to get my hands on some old guns from my youth and make then shoot decent !

Pretty well done this with my meteor (11.2 FP and sweet with it's HW sealed head), and my ASI Center pistol (reduced TP), but there's quite a few I want to get my hands on....

- Airsporter, ideally an RB2. Have great hopes here
    - FWB sport (but I have two, and can't bring myself to do anything too drastic beyond a port tickle and piston diet, so would have to find a real old dog of a gun)
    - Annie 335
    - Hw35
    - AA sidelever

original 50 would be a challenge .

someone had quite a go at one of these a few months ago ..how did that turn out ?

A HW35 better than they do already,that would be nice.
    Just put a synthetic seal on a Vixen as the leather seal although looked good would not work,it is now full power.

HW35's are easy, thorough clean, seal the breech, reduce TP dia to 2.6 to 2.8mm if a 4mm one, drop a new seal on and they shoot well. All the vixen had that was remotely special was a sealed breech, everything else done was cosmetic imo.

To give an actual example, I sealed up a 35 Lux a few yrs back now, 9fpe at best, sealed breech with same spring was doing 13+ (gun is .177) I shortened the spring, installed new guides, vortek piston and breech seals and cleaned/relubed the trigger...took 1 hr to rebuild and test once the breech had been sealed over night. It was one of the nicest shooting stock 35's I have done...sweet as you like.

No fancy chromed piston and spring...not needed

To see the ultimate 35 have a look at T20's build thread....now thats a HW35 and some.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    ... I now want to get my hands on some old guns from my youth and make then shoot decent !

Pretty well done this with my meteor (11.2 FP and sweet with it's HW sealed head), and my ASI Center pistol (reduced TP), but there's quite a few I want to get my hands on....

- FWB sport (but I have two, and can't bring myself to do anything too drastic beyond a port tickle and piston diet, so would have to find a real old dog of a gun)
    - Annie 335
    - Hw35
    - AA sidelever
    Knowing how nice that Meteor of yours shoots, I'm sure that these would all be worthwhile and intriguing projects.

Relative scarcity of some of these may present a problem, though. The HW35 and Airsporter (tap version) would be the more plentiful and also available in varying degrees of condition, from mint to total knackerbags. The 35, with the Rekord trigger and super-solid breech lock would be less of a challenge, as they can be lovely even with just a minor fettle, but the project would lend itself nicely to reduced stroke or bore. All been done before, but I'm sure you could refine it to your tastes.

As you say, I can imagine your reluctance to perform major surgery to a real nice example of the FWB, and I think the same would have to apply to that classy little gem, the 335. I think really nice examples are better left unmolested.

Of the tap loaders, although you will, no doubt, get them shooting much nicer and more efficiently, ultimate accuracy may be harder to come by, just depends on your goals.

A shorter rotary breech project would be very intriguing!

How about a Mercury to play with, too? Similar power plant to the underlever, but with direct to breech loading. They can be very nice. And with your skills, and the excellent result with the Meteor in mind, could turn out pretty awesome. Reduced piston weight and stroke. And not too shabby a trigger, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    HW35's are easy, thorough clean, seal the breech, reduce TP dia to 2.6 to 2.8mm if a 4mm one, drop a new seal on and they shoot well. All the vixen had that was remotely special was a sealed breech, everything else done was cosmetic imo.

To give an actual example, I sealed up a 35 Lux a few yrs back now, 9fpe at best, sealed breech with same spring was doing 13+ (gun is .177) I shortened the spring, installed new guides, vortek piston and breech seals and cleaned/relubed the trigger...took 1 hr to rebuild and test once the breech had been sealed over night. It was one of the nicest shooting stock 35's I have done...sweet as you like.

No fancy chromed piston and spring...not needed

To see the ultimate 35 have a look at T20's build thread....now thats a HW35 and some.

Agreed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The Vixen also had the spring made to fit the standard guide properly it was also longer with more coils & smaller diameter wire,the T.P was also opened up from 3mm to 3.6mm some were 3.5mm.
    So not all just cosmetic but back then changing to smaller diameter springs was fairly new.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The Vixen also had the spring made to fit the standard guide properly it was also longer with more coils & smaller diameter wire,the T.P was also opened up from 3mm to 3.6mm some were 3.5mm.
    So not all just cosmetic but back then changing to smaller diameter springs was fairly new.
    !00% agree, love my Standard Vixen in .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

- Annie 335
    - Hw35
    - AA sidelever
    There is a bloke on face book selling a tx and throwing a side lever in with the deal

how about a bsa scorpion pistol . ....

or any pistol of that era come to that .fwb 65 not allowed

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    how about a bsa scorpion pistol . ....
    Funnily enough I do have one I rather like.. I long stroked it a while ago, but I can think of plenty more sophisticated improvements.. good call, that's one for the list...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

and you think it needed those mods?

it doesn't, trust me, i know

with a TP 26mm long you want sub 3mm, just ask T20 if you won't take what I say.

The vixen was a product of hype and some...just like most guns of the 80's imo

times have changed, the smoke and mirrors are gone, springer tuning is no longer a dark art.

Its not that the 35 needed mods or not its just a fact that those mods were made.I keep my 35's with the T.P standard at 3mm, leather seals & synthetic.The Vixen will be left in its original set up apart from the seal until a nice fitting leather seal is obtained.

Its not that the 35 needed mods or not its just a fact that those mods were made.I keep my 35's with the T.P standard at 3mm, leather seals & synthetic.The Vixen will be left in its original set up apart from the seal until a nice fitting leather seal is obtained.
    I know...

I have a seal here somewhere, it just needs re oiling, i will search it out

Vixens are nice, do not get me wrong, but i saw thru the hype with the 5x 35's i have here an the many I have now sorted out

Back in the 80's springer tuning was regarded a dark art...we were none the wiser.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    I know...

I have a seal here somewhere, it just needs re oiling, i will search it out

Vixens are nice, do not get me wrong, but i saw thru the hype with the 5x 35's i have here an the many I have now sorted out

Back in the 80's springer tuning was regarded a dark art...we were none the wiser.
    hence a load of tuners putting stickers over the actions as a deterent for prying eyes
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive