Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having done so much shed tuning / sleaving / chopping / engineering "corrections"...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    hence a load of tuners putting stickers over the actions as a deterent for prying eyes
    Because the 'tuning' was packing half a pint of moly grease into the action and little else.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Because the 'tuning' was packing half a pint of moly grease into the action and little else.
    aaah the good old days
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    HW35's are easy, thorough clean, seal the breech, reduce TP dia to 2.6 to 2.8mm if a 4mm one, drop a new seal on and they shoot well. All the vixen had that was remotely special was a sealed breech, everything else done was cosmetic imo.

To give an actual example, I sealed up a 35 Lux a few yrs back now, 9fpe at best, sealed breech with same spring was doing 13+ (gun is .177) I shortened the spring, installed new guides, vortek piston and breech seals and cleaned/relubed the trigger...took 1 hr to rebuild and test once the breech had been sealed over night. It was one of the nicest shooting stock 35's I have done...sweet as you like.

No fancy chromed piston and spring...not needed

To see the ultimate 35 have a look at T20's build thread....now thats a HW35 and some.
    just been handed an early 35 to fettle for a mate,, Its a mess at the minute, painted barrel rust ox spring etc, do you seal the breech with Loctite, I was thinking of sleeving down to 25mm, as this woulkd ensure a good seal, but not sure if its worth the trouble, its a .22

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    just been handed an early 35 to fettle for a mate,, Its a mess at the minute, painted barrel rust ox spring etc, do you seal the breech with Loctite, I was thinking of sleeving down to 25mm, as this woulkd ensure a good seal, but not sure if its worth the trouble, its a .22
    I think BigT used to use JB Weld, but then moved to a Loctite product....no doubt he'll be along soon to advise.

As regards sleeving, if you think the gun is worth the effort, I'm sure the results would be very pleasing.

Not sure how you'd re-configure the cocking shoe "horn", but Tone or Mick'll be able to advise on that, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I think BigT used to use JB Weld, but then moved to a Loctite product....no doubt he'll be along soon to advise.

As regards sleeving, if you think the gun is worth the effort, I'm sure the results would be very pleasing.

Not sure how you'd re-configure the cocking shoe "horn", but Tone or Mick'll be able to advise on that, too.
    Decided to do a little less, and have added bearings, and an o ring piston head to the piston earlier today, I think as long as the breech block seals it should be ok, was thinking of blocking the trans port off running some Loctite around the inside and putting some pressure on via the piston and a sash clamp

, if it needs it

Decided to do a little less, and have added bearings, and an o ring piston head to the piston earlier today, I think as long as the breech block seals it should be ok, was thinking of blocking the trans port off running some Loctite around the inside and putting some pressure on via the piston and a sash clamp

, if it needs it
    Should still be really nice, Nick. Lightened or standard weight piston?

As regards the sealing, I know Tony likes to force the sealant into the void (if present), but then to also create a vacuum by pulling the piston back and holding it there, pulling the sealant to the cylinder wall.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Nah, its not worth the trouble. Just seal the breech and rebuild with standard spring etc... maybe some fitted guides if you have a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Nah, its not worth the trouble. Just seal the breech and rebuild with standard spring etc... maybe some fitted guides if you have a lathe.
    And I agree Alistair

I have an old 35 that I extended the stroke on to 71mm using an O ring piston head and then reduced the transfer port down to 2.3mm --- I prefer this to my 35LGV.

All the best Mick

John, I've agreed to take a 'project' FWB 124 off of a friend. I haven't seen it yet, but it is possible I might just move it on. If you were interested (and I was moving it on) I could bring it to the next springer bash. I'll know more after this weekend, when I'm due to collect it. PM me if it is of interest.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    John, I've agreed to take a 'project' FWB 124 off of a friend. I haven't seen it yet, but it is possible I might just move it on. If you were interested (and I was moving it on) I could bring it to the next springer bash. I'll know more after this weekend, when I'm due to collect it. PM me if it is of interest.
    PM'd
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Should still be really nice, Nick. Lightened or standard weight piston?

As regards the sealing, I know Tony likes to force the sealant into the void (if present), but then to also create a vacuum by pulling the piston back and holding it there, pulling the sealant to the cylinder wall.
    So run the Loctite around the external groove and pull the piston back, while blocking off the trans port, sounds like a plan, I built it earlier with a tx mk3 spring and guides I had and only got 6 ft lb, the barrel lock up is a bit iffy at the moment so will be losing a bit there , standard weight piston, at standard stroke.

So run the Loctite around the external groove and pull the piston back, while blocking off the trans port, sounds like a plan, I built it earlier with a tx mk3 spring and guides I had and only got 6 ft lb, the barrel lock up is a bit iffy at the moment so will be losing a bit there , standard weight piston, at standard stroke.
    Hi Nick

I've just found this for you :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....10#post2931510

All the best Mick

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Funnily enough I do have one I rather like.. I long stroked it a while ago, but I can think of plenty more sophisticated improvements.. good call, that's one for the list...
    Re the Scorpion pistol, I would be quite interested to see what a tuner got out of one of these, stroked and with a steel (O ring) piston head, before any other tuning mods and then detuning. Any triggr mods would be interesting

How about a Webley Tempest like was asking about months ago? With a shorter stroke I know that you lose some power but eliminate (well it just feels like it) recoil. I am in favour of taking about 3 coils off the mainspring of these for ease of cocking. If you could do that and get the power up a little, I would be very interested in how you did it.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Power is no problem for the scorpion with a decent seal. Not got a tempest, but the layout seems reasonably capable of power (like an HW45), so it might just be internal design issues that are hurting it... no promises, but if one turns up for pocket money, I may invest...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    And I agree Alistair

I have an old 35 that I extended the stroke on to 71mm using an O ring piston head and then reduced the transfer port down to 2.3mm --- I prefer this to my 35LGV.

All the best Mick
    And one of my old 35s, a real ratty old nail, shoots supremely sweetly. Old leather head version, so big 4mm TP, with a Knibbs synthetic conversion which I hadn't asked for, V-Mach spring and guide kit...lovely, confounding the accepted wisdom of dropping the TP size down! I do have a replacement leather seal now (cheers, Wonky) and also a Vortek one from Bigtoe, so may try them one day. Must attend to the sloppy, rattly cocking lever one day, maybe Delrin insert in there and piston sleeve to stop the lever "chattering" against the spring, but it really does shoot so very mildly that I'm tempted to leave the internals as is. The finish is truly awful, but this helps bestow the feel of a "vintage" rifle and it's really accurate, running on opens.