Thread: Ruger Old Army Front Sight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ruger Old Army Front Sight

Anyone know where I can get a Ruger Old Army front sight blade?
    I've searched the internet.. but only one I can find is MidwayUSA and that is discontinued.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bfhb View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a Ruger Old Army front sight blade?
    I've searched the internet.. but only one I can find is MidwayUSA and that is discontinued.

Mark
    I'm over there in a few weeks time - so I'll see will I find one, or two, or more. Is YOUR ROA fitted with a pinned or otherwise fixed sight? My older model [1886 vintage] has a roll pin. Also is your ROA stainless or blued?

tac

Tac - could you 'stock up' on some front sight blades - and most especially the taller ones for correct POI with heaver conicals ? I use 220 and 285 grain heeled-base WFN 'conicals' (really good hunting boolits where allowed) and they shoot way high at 25 yards.

I'd buy 2 taller sights and a regular one from you, and a pint for yer troubles...
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I'm over there in a few weeks time - so I'll see will I find one, or two, or more. Is YOUR ROA fitted with a pinned or otherwise fixed sight? My older model [1886 vintage] has a roll pin. Also is your ROA stainless or blued?

tac
    It is a stainless with roll pin. The sight blade is blued.
    From picture in the link below, you can see that someone has modified it with a file to just a post at one end. I managed to hit it with a hammer and block of wood whilst slugging the barrel!

I may be trying conicals soon too. Do you really need a taller blade or will the rear sight adjust enough?

Mark

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21...psbknixbml.jpg

Tac,

Would these be from the same company that does the "correctly" priced ROA nipples?

Mark

There is only one taller front sight element, and it's made by Ruger, sadly. I'll see what I can find but don't be holding your breath.

I'm intrigued as to why anybody would need to slug the barrel of a ROA. I've only been shooting mine since 1986, and I know a lot of other folks who shot them for fun and food but I've never heard of anybody using anything except a .457" diameter bullet or ball, 'cos that's what they shoot.

As for adjusting the backsight, I figure that if the front one isn't tall enough, then the backsight has long run out of adjustment, hence the request for a taller one.

And yes, heavier bullets will shoot higher - it's all to do with the physics of the recoil sequence, and where the muzzle is pointing when the bullet leave it.

tac

Ruger themselves say 457 for Round Ball, 454 for any other types of projectile. Can't recall where I read it, but I did...
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..