Thread: Neck resizing and bumping the necks???

Neck resizing and bumping the necks???

After neck resizing my 308 cases 4 or 5 times they get hard to chamber and or extract after firing. I use a RCBS Precision Mic to check the head space is correct. So I full length resize them all.
    I was thinking about just 'Bumping' the neck.

So my question is...
    Can you buy a case die that only bumps the neck or do you have to full length resize??
    =================================

yes clive you can get shoulder bump dies .that will get you buy untill you see the light and start to fl size each time you fire your shoulders expand till you cant chamber then you have to bump the shoulders back and off you go again lol how is that more consistant than all your cases the same size?just thought i would bring it up b4 you spend on a shoulder bump die

Back off the FL die

Quote Originally Posted by clive_J View Post
    After neck resizing my 308 cases 4 or 5 times they get hard to chamber and or extract after firing. I use a RCBS Precision Mic to check the head space is correct. So I full length resize them all.
    I was thinking about just 'Bumping' the neck.

So my question is...
    Can you buy a case die that only bumps the neck or do you have to full length resize??
    The use of your RCBS precision mic only tells you if your headspace is "within spec." and that factory spec. ammo will chamber. However, neck sizing will result in a fired case becoming harder and harder to chamber as the case fireforms to more closely "fit" the chamber the result being PERFECT headspacing and minimal cartridge case lengthening (rate depends on case design and operating pressure). Your neck die will not ever result in easier chambering, however, there is a simple fix to this; "back off" your FL die incrementally to such a point that the cases easily chamber. Remember the FL die manufacturer made the die to FL cases to fit in a chamber of a gun with the shortest headspace and tightest chamber within specs., not just yours! Keep in mind though if you do this cases will chamber perfectly in YOUR gun but not necessarily someone elses.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    yes clive you can get shoulder bump dies .that will get you buy untill you see the light and start to fl size each time you fire your shoulders expand till you cant chamber then you have to bump the shoulders back and off you go again lol how is that more consistant than all your cases the same size?just thought i would bring it up b4 you spend on a shoulder bump die
    Well said Mike. Just set up your FL die to just bump the shoulders back 2 thou. Your mic tool should help you achieve this. Personally I FL size every time then just before I prime the cases I collet size the neck to ensure its straight. Makes things nice and consistent