Thread: Spring guide/spring fit

Spring guide/spring fit

Just done a strip down and noticed the guide and top hat is a very tight fit, had to really tug at the guide to get it off and the TH wouldn't turn inside the spring. I'm sure this isn't right as I usually make sure they slip on and off easily to allow the spring to uncoil etc, but not too slack to cause twanging. What's puzzling was that it was very smooth to cock and fire and have only stripped to change the breech seal, it's a diana 52. What's the verdict on guide tightness, as I'm not sure whether to change the spring.
    Thanks

Sounds about right I have just fitted a SFS service kit and I can't pull the guide out of that by hand, shoots very smooth and quiet...
    Bowkett tuned BSA R10 .177 BSA Ultra SE .22
    SFS Imp .22 HW98 .20 HW98 .22 HW99s .22
    Wonky tuned HW80 .22 Wonky tuned HW77 .177 SFS tuned BSA Goldstar .22

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I do it thus; if I can tug it off and on by hand, it's fine. If I need to put either the guide or TH in a vice and use both hands to twist the spring off, it's getting too tight Even then, if the effort is still moderate, I'd not be fussed. When I start dragging the workbench across the floor, by the spring, that's where I draw the line !

Bear in mind when you preload the gun, and then again when you cock it, the spring get looser on the guides compared with un cocked / un preloaded, so you are not feeling the same resistance that would be in play in actual use.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That's great thanks, will reassemble and save a few quid. I forgot the spring slightly expands on cocking.