Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of the Walther LGV Competition ultra, please

Opinions of the Walther LGV Competition ultra, please

I recently bought a used Walther LGV Competition ultra for £230, used it several times at the club range and cannot fault it.

At the moment there is one on the sales forum reduced to £200 and so far no interest, this surprises me as that has to be a bit of a bargain!

My LGV operates smoothly and is very accurate, to the point I am considering selling my PCP (AA S400)

When Walther brought the LGV out I was impressed but always wary of advertising hype. To my mind they filled a gap in the market that Air Arms had missed, you know - the quality break barrel!

So here I am now wondering why the LGV is not apparently getting the ongoing praise I feel it deserves.

What do you guys think of the LGV?

I love mine, a Master version in .22. Mine was 2nd hand , about 6 months old when I got it. Its fitted with a MTC Mamba and useing Air Arms domes its a accurate if hevey rifle. Not done anything to her has she dosent ( to my mind -anyways ) need it. I was so impressed with it( apart from its weight) that for xmass I got myself a Terrios- wood stocked and in .22 Fitted with a Leupold copy its a nice rifle, enjoy.

Mine must be getting on for two years old now.
    Bought new.
    It is so good to shoot that I haven't put a scope on it.
    Put another way I have not fully explored its capabilities yet.
    On to do list!

A very special gun which I intend to keep.

mine was new , and was one of the worst springers I shot .... That was even after umarex had it back to get it back under a legal limit

Not a touch on my 97 , no chance

I'd say don't believe the hype ... In fact you can go off history now ... They don't sell ... And don't sell even for what you'd think are good money now
    Www.wendoverairrifleclub.co.uk
    Quigley Hollow Airgun Club
    I kicked the bucket , with 2 feet firmly on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by chris.allum View Post
    mine was new , and was one of the worst springers I shot .... That was even after umarex had it back to get it back under a legal limit

I'd say don't believe the hype ... In fact you can go off history now ... They don't sell ... And don't sell even for what you'd think are good money now
    I had heard some "bad press" on this gun - but all hearsay until your post. Seems to me the LGV might have fallen victim to some initial quality control mistakes early on and that has resulted in low 2nd hand values.

Anyway, thanks for your critical reply and perhaps you can add some detail of your guns faults.

So far I have put two tins of JSB Express through my .177 Ultra and it is very consistent at 11.7 ft-lbs. Tried a few pellet types and the others shoot under that power, I do feel a little lower power would be better but as it's such a reliable power output I will leave it alone for the moment.

Thanks guys for the more positive posts as well, I just have to hope mine is a reliable model.

Brand loyalty.

Some people just can't tear themselves away from AA and Weihrauch.

It amazes me that there are those still prepared to pay the best part of £300 for a HW95 in 177, and then another hundred or more to get it to behave itself.

Or even more for a HW80 and have to short stroke that as well.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Its an excellent rifle already & will get its acclaim some time I'm sure.There are a few trigger issues but can be sorted & now the new Master Pro which should sell well as its similar priced to the LGU.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Its an excellent rifle already & will get its acclaim some time I'm sure.There are a few trigger issues but can be sorted & now the new Master Pro which should sell well as its similar priced to the LGU.
    The trigger on mine had too long a first stage, 2nd stage was heavy and let off had some creep. It took me less than 5 minutes to shorten first stage and adjust trigger weight, the let off is now crisp and light. Never seen the instructions but the three screw adjustment was quite logical.
    Bit of luck involved maybe, but it's now as good as my HW99 trigger and better than I remember the AATX200hc trigger.
    Last edited by Steve A; 27-04-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.allum View Post

Its true, i shot Chris, s LGV and it WAS, truly awful
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

having owned or shot just about every quality springer from the 80's onwards i think its fair to say i am well placed to make a fair assesment of the lgv... it is, without a shadow of a doubt the best out-of-the-box springer you can buy! bar none !
    sure the stock isnt as pretty as a tx/prosport. and the marks left once the foresight is removed is an annoyance perhaps.. but accuracy [and more importantly ease of use/ease of accuracy] is right up there with tuned specials........
    and for the price its a no brainer, sure you may have heard of a bad one, but every marque has "a bad one" . all i will say for sure is try one!
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Mine is in 177, as is my LGU.

Can anyone tell me how well these guns perform in 22?
    Arthur

I have shot about five of these.

Of these, three were quite twangy, but two were BEAUTIFUL!

The only one that I did any more serious shooting with (indoors) was with Kieran Turner's last year. Fantastic, smooth and twang free. And spookily accurate.

Early poor sales (and maybe a marred reputation leading to lower resale prices) was, I seem to remember, down to indifferent bluing / polishing prior to bluing?

Could be very tempted to go for a minter around the £200 mark!!!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

That's very handsome of you, Tony.

Do yourself a favour and get one of the new stocked ones - I think they're called the Master Ultra or something like that. They are about the same price as the LGU.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Mine is in 177, as is my LGU.

Can anyone tell me how well these guns perform in 22?
    yes read post 2,mines a top performer with its Leupold copy. great value.

I bought a Competition Ultra second hand and sold it after a week. Not that it was bad because it wasn't-it just didn't add anything to my shooting experience. I then bought a second hand Challenger -the entry level one with an ambi synthetic stock-that had work done by V Mach. I have no idea what work was done other than the fitting of a very pretty RACE muzzle brake. This is a lovely rifle for not a lot of money. It has the metal 2 stage trigger which is very well adjusted now, has decent bluing and works very well.
    It is arguably my favourite legal limit springer and given how cheap it was it is as much of a keeper as air rifles ever are with me.
    To the OP-if a Competition Ultra is available for £200 then 'buy it' would be my advice.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.