Thread: HW99s 'Galling' or 'Grating' visual check without disassembly

HW99s 'Galling' or 'Grating' visual check without disassembly

Newer models have been fitted with a new type cocking lever, I dont know if there is any other visual check without stripping and looking? someone with far more experience than me can maybe answer this?

I have been told of the following way is to look at SN:

New Style Cocking Lever Was Fitted To Models:
    .177 - SN:1892759 Onwards
    .22 - SN:1899147 Onwards

might help someone else

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    cock it to see if it grates!

look for the insert

The newer types have a delrin (?) Insert in the link, running along the length of the rear section of the cocking lever.
    On mine this is grey in colour.
    If you break the barrel and look from above, it is easily visible if there.
    If in doubt its only 3 screws to get the stock off and all will be revealed. Just make sure not to use cheap nasty screwdrivers so you don't risk slipping off and scratching anything.
    For the record, mine has a s/no starting 20056**, so as you would expect, it has the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by MartH View Post
    Newer models have been fitted with a new type cocking lever, I dont know if there is any other visual check without stripping and looking? someone with far more experience than me can maybe answer this?

might help someone else
    Some people did comment a while ago that even the newer ones suffered a galling issue, but on where the cocking shoe horn engages with the cocking slot.

Mine seems perfectly fine. It's dead easy to have a look, as described above. As a little extra reassurance, I whipped the stock off and applied some 60% moly paste to the lever. It's bedding in really nicely now and is very smooth.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Strip and deburr.

Strip and deburr.

Strip and deburr.

It's a Weihrauch, they all need it. Don't 'run it in', that's what you ONLY do with piston washers.

With smoothed off edges and a proper relube (not the lard/GTX mix Herman favours) it will be transformed.

And send off the spring to Pastyland for a new top hat and guide.

Well if your RFD had to order it in,from Hull Cartridge, it will be be the latest type.I bought one about 9 months ago and it has the modified cocking link(with insert).I think the modification was introduced about 2 years ago,certainly at least a year ago.Some do benefit from a strip,debur and relube but remember if you do this the warranty will become void.On mine I just introduced some moly grease on to the spring through the cocking slot and the sides of cocking slot, couple of drops of lube to the inside of the cylinder wall behind the piston and just lube the pivot points i.e barrel pivot and cocking link.It's smooth with no grauching and very little spring noise.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 28-04-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartH View Post

might help someone else

Cock it, then de cock, cock and then de cock, cock and then de cock, cock and then de cock

After 4 or 5 times, you'll have your answer ........I suspect you'll have problems on the decocking ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34