Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old pellet tins

Old pellet tins

Hello all,

I'm Charlie. This is my first post but I'm a long time trawler and I've found this site to be a great source of knowledge and advice.

I was wondering what other people do with their old pellet tins? I fill one with wood ash for scent masking and gauging wind direction but I've got 12 more and I'm reluctant to recycle them as they're such a portable size and shape.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm open to suggestions!

Best,

Charlie
    I shoot an SFS tuned 95K in .177 and have a monthly hunting column in Airgunner.
    www.charliesrifles.co.uk

Hi Charlie. Old pellet tins, hang on to them, keep them in good condition. In 30+ years time they will likely become collectable - just like the ones from my early shooting career have - so you might get as much for the empties as you paid for them when they contained pellets...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Hi Charlie. Old pellet tins, hang on to them, keep them in good condition. In 30+ years time they will likely become collectable - just like the ones from my early shooting career have - so you might get as much for the empties as you paid for them when they contained pellets...
    agree, was at an arms fair a year or two back and two older gents allmost came to blows over( a to me rusty old tin can )with Webley on it And I thought I was "strange"

Ha! So really I'm making money every time I pull the trigger? I need to get back on the range!
    I shoot an SFS tuned 95K in .177 and have a monthly hunting column in Airgunner.
    www.charliesrifles.co.uk

Don't forget that lead is toxic and the inside of those pellet tins will be well coated with the stuff...

Good point. Will a good wash get rid of the lead residue do you think?
    www.charliesrifles.co.uk

If you're not licking the insides/keeping food in there, I wouldn't be too worried.

Welcome to the forum, Charlie. Enjoy.

I have quite a few older empty tins. Lobbed a few current ones a few weeks ago. Reading this thread makes me wish I hadn't thrown them away.

That's it! Keeping my empties from now on!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Special batches

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Charlie. Enjoy.

I have quite a few older empty tins. Lobbed a few current ones a few weeks ago. Reading this thread makes me wish I hadn't thrown them away.

That's it! Keeping my empties from now on!
    I wonder if certain batch numbered tins will be more valuable 🚀

Thanks for the welcome. I'll bet there's somebody reading this that's considering some pellet tin counterfeiting (apart from me that is). I suppose people will collect anything but I think I'd rather hoard pellet tins than stamps. It's not dissimilar to tobacco tin collecting really but I'm more into the practical uses personally;

1- Emergency medical kit holder
    2- Coasters
    3- Field biscuit tin (properly washed)
    4- Mini cooking pot
    5- Scat/plant sample container for later ID (although a camera is probably easier)
    6- Long term investment
    7- Mini frisbee
    8- Rice filled percussion instrument
    9- Low budget signalling mirror
    10 - Corvid lure/fascinator

etc etc
    www.charliesrifles.co.uk

i keep one filled with car polish. the pellets go in then come out to dry. cheaper than pellet lube. and surprisingly works.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Plinking targets

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Plinking targets
    That was my first thought, surprised it took so long to be suggested!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Plinking targets
    .....Thats why some old ones can fetch over £200 .....And even some 1960's Webley ones can go £60 plus, because as a lad I like everyone I knew would empty and divide the pellets into mine and mates pockets, and the first target was the tin.

Same with another item that collectors pay good money for...The box the gun came in, ripped apart in seconds and discarded by most, now worth as much as the gun for some older types.

Which ones do you keep thesedays....Gawd knows, anything weird or unusual I suppose, Sussex Sabots are not that long ago, but can do well price wise, but by the time anything today will be collectable I will be gone, so it's up to you lot!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    .....Thats why some old ones can fetch over £200 .....And even some 1960's Webley ones can go £60 plus, because as a lad I like everyone I knew would empty and divide the pellets into mine and mates pockets, and the first target was the tin.

Same with another item that collectors pay good money for...The box the gun came in, ripped apart in seconds and discarded by most, now worth as much as the gun for some older types.

Which ones do you keep thesedays....Gawd knows, anything weird or unusual I suppose, Sussex Sabots are not that long ago, but can do well price wise, but by the time anything today will be collectable I will be gone, so it's up to you lot!

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed' , funny thing is I have few Sussex Sabots left in the original plastic box , but the sticker has come loose ! ? Are these really worth something ? .22 btw .
    gat gun .25 cal