Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Sorry to butt in but a BSA Meteor Mk 6 spring (not the Mk 7) should fit without cutting any coils off. Many of the modern replacement springs intended for vintage BSAs just don't fit or are way too powerful.

John
    Thank you for that tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Thank you for that tip.
    many thanks. duly noted

Thank you for that tip.
    ..or a BSA Airsporter spring but that may well need a coil or two removing.

John

Sorry to butt in but a BSA Meteor Mk 6 spring (not the Mk 7) should fit without cutting any coils off. Many of the modern replacement springs intended for vintage BSAs just don't fit or are way too powerful.

John
    John, you were so specific - i was wondering if you had any dimensions?
    You've got a 'Mk6' identified as the best, but i've just found someone selling:

"...Square section. Length is approx 235mm
    Spring has outside diameter of approx 19.2mm with 33 coils each 3.2mm thick.
    This came from an NH prefix BSA Meteor dating from 1979 onwards..."

The seller believes it is a Mk5 - are the springs perhaps similar?
    Obviously if 'old stock' then probably doesn't display the 'overpower' specs many modern replacements suffer from - so thought i'd ask in case anyone has the info for the best spring at their fingertips - or can advise if worth buying this?

cheers,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    John, you were so specific - i was wondering if you had any dimensions?
    You've got a 'Mk6' identified as the best, but i've just found someone selling:

"...Square section. Length is approx 235mm
    Spring has outside diameter of approx 19.2mm with 33 coils each 3.2mm thick.
    This came from an NH prefix BSA Meteor dating from 1979 onwards..."

The seller believes it is a Mk5 - are the springs perhaps similar?
    Obviously if 'old stock' then probably doesn't display the 'overpower' specs many modern replacements suffer from - so thought i'd ask in case anyone has the info for the best spring at their fingertips - or can advise if worth buying this?

cheers,
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

At 235mm long, the Mk5 should fit but there will be very little preload. As the CS has a longer cylinder than the pre WW1 BSA and later Club No 4, I'm now wondering if you may be better off obtaining an Airsporter spring and cutting it down to size, just to be on the safe side. I've used both the Meteor Mk 6 and Airsporter springs in the past but some rifles are strange.

For example, I once replaced an overpowered mainspring in a long cylindered Improved Model D with an Airsporter's, which was way too powerful and I quickly removed it after looking at the initial chrono results. I settled on a Meteor spring with virtually no preload and that one is bordering on 11 ft lbs. Yet in other similar rifles, the longer Airsporter spring is required to achieve these power levels.

Hope that's not too confusing. If the Mk 5 spring is cheap enough and does not work in a long cylindered .177 CS, it will certainly do for the Improved Model D with standard length cylinder.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Richard,

At 235mm long, the Mk5 should fit but there will be very little preload. As the CS has a longer cylinder than the pre WW1 BSA and later Club No 4, I'm now wondering if you may be better off obtaining an Airsporter spring and cutting it down to size, just to be on the safe side. I've used both the Meteor Mk 6 and Airsporter springs in the past but some rifles are strange.

For example, I once replaced an overpowered mainspring in a long cylindered Improved Model D with an Airsporter's, which was way too powerful and I quickly removed it after looking at the initial chrono results. I settled on a Meteor spring with virtually no preload and that one is bordering on 11 ft lbs. Yet in other similar rifles, the longer Airsporter spring is required to achieve these power levels.

Hope that's not too confusing. If the Mk 5 spring is cheap enough and does not work in a long cylindered .177 CS, it will certainly do for the Improved Model D with standard length cylinder.

Kind regards,

John
    Cheers John
    Absolutely perfect info and answer - many thanks - and EXACTLY the level of detail i needed to know.
    Richard

HI Bonner's, just sending PM now to organise suitable meeting. Best, Richard

Sorry. That should obviously say 'Binners'. That is what you get if you try and log on from a mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Sorry. That should obviously say 'Binners'. That is what you get if you try and log on from a mobile.

No problem, been called much worse (by most people on here). The rifle is now on hold for your perusal, either at Bisley or after...

Both rifles back up for sale....

Both rifles back up for sale....
    Just wanted to add I saw the BSA Longtom at Phoenix (because Binners had very kindly left it there for me to peruse) and it is a solid example at very fair price. Would recommend, and the tap seals well too - just on the day (to my amazement) I decided i didn't need another vintage BSA at that point in time.

[I'm seeing a doctor later this week on that last point - apparently it is a temporary condition and there is a course of medication available to counter the symptoms]

Evening all

Both still here, waiting to go to Melbourne....

Last try on this rather long thread