Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airsporter Centennary

My boxed .177 Centenary is complete and in pristine condition. Even the gunbag's handles are undamaged. The original owner, who has since passed away wrote his post code on the stock in see through security ink. I have the provenance to prove I acquired the rifle legitimately and this originally left me with a dilemma - should I try to remove the post code and if so, how without damaging the stock or do I leave it as is? I opted for the later as after all, the mark is part of this particular rifle's history, rather like the markings often encountered on pre war BSAs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Completely mint as said £850-950. Sold a .177 the other month and had loads of inquiries all trying to get it for less. One paid and now owns it and enjoying the ownership; the others aren't. Thats collecting.

A excellent hardly a mark on it with most of the bits then £550-650. Well used but not abused with some bits then £450. The trouble is that people either want mint unused perfect, or for £450 or less as a shooter. In fact as a shooter they are just too similar to a standard Airsporter S which can be had for not a lot. They point beautifully for their iron sights.
    Its the loss of premium for mint which is in free-fall price wise. Shooters are rare though.
    yes allways thought they should have made a Delux version with a better triguer and say a better quallity stock. Myself I beleve it would have sold or even paid say Venom/ Airmasters/ SFS/Airgun Centure to do some internall work on her. The writer Freddie Dalgetty wrote some articles on the S for AGW and he felt the same. But hey thats history how many times have we had a good product and then not invested, look at the first 4x4 production saloon, no not the Audi Quattro( great car) the Jenson -Intercepter FF, or the Austin Ant 4x4 that could have given Leyland the SUV market, instead the idea was taken up by Suzuki etc. We were the work shop of the world, now we just assemble things with parts sourced from elsewhere poor management, lack of investment and development and we give the markets to foriegn competators

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    yes allways thought they should have made a Delux version with a better triguer and say a better quallity stock. Myself I beleve it would have sold or even paid say Venom/ Airmasters/ SFS/Airgun Centure to do some internall work on her. The writer Freddie Dalgetty wrote some articles on the S for AGW and he felt the same. But hey thats history how many times have we had a good product and then not invested, look at the first 4x4 production saloon, no not the Audi Quattro( great car) the Jenson -Intercepter FF, or the Austin Ant 4x4 that could have given Leyland the SUV market, instead the idea was taken up by Suzuki etc. We were the work shop of the world, now we just assemble things with parts sourced from elsewhere poor management, lack of investment and development and we give the markets to foriegn competators
    Well said, I also feel that BSA could have put a bit more thought into in, instead of all the accessories (the scope was crap anyway and if the gun bags handles fall apart without even being used, then what quality was that), put the money into the rifle itself, little touches like a gold plated trigger and loading tap lever or an anodized trigger block and defo a better quality walnut stock (preferably in the later Deluxe style stock) and I would have personally used the carbine barrel as I think the long barrel looks too geeky hanging over the edge of the stock like that.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well said, I also feel that BSA could have put a bit more thought into in, instead of all the accessories (the scope was crap anyway and if the gun bags handles fall apart without even being used, then what quality was that), put the money into the rifle itself, little touches like a gold plated trigger and loading tap lever or an anodized trigger block and defo a better quality walnut stock (preferably in the later Deluxe style stock) and I would have personally used the carbine barrel as I think the long barrel looks too geeky hanging over the edge of the stock like that.

Pete
    Yes Pete 100% with you on all of that.

Added pics of the bag, sling, pellets, lube, pellet catcher, targets and BSA badge to the photobucket folder.

I have the certificate somewhere in the office too. So would £550ish for the gun and all the bits n bob be about right?

Really like the gun but with a permanent move abroad looming can only take so much with me.

Thank for all the replies, learnt more regards the gun and bsa history than I knew before.

regards

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by el maipino View Post
    Added pics of the bag, sling, pellets, lube, pellet catcher, targets and BSA badge to the photobucket folder.

I have the certificate somewhere in the office too. So would £550ish for the gun and all the bits n bob be about right?

Really like the gun but with a permanent move abroad looming can only take so much with me.

Thank for all the replies, learnt more regards the gun and bsa history than I knew before.

regards

Pat
    Your wellcome, and good luck with the sale.

BSA and Webley both always seemed to cheap skate on getting it right in those days. So did so much of our industry. However, the talent was and is there and British Companies are at the forefront of so much stuff today. Gone are the shackles of yesteryear. Allowed to get on with it there are great rifles made here today. Great cars too.

£550 or so should find a buyer. It will either fly off the shelf or take a while. Depends if you are in a hurry. At the end of the day £500 is proper money and people take their time to jump even when they know they just have to have it.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks.

Yes I totally agree, still a lot of quality British engineering and manufacturing around and given the right support and opportunities can compete with anyone. In my home country I try to promote British goods whenever I can and have helped introduce some British brands. The UK has been good to me and I consider it only right to try pay back some of that whenever possible. In no great rush to sell the rifle, the move is a bit away yet so hopefully find a buyer who will appreciate the gun.

Thank all again.

Pat

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by el maipino View Post

regards

Pat
    Sounds slightly on the cheaper side to me but if you're after a sale - go for it!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Thanks, put it up for sale now and added a little more though did put in ad that was open to ovno..so will see how it goes. No great rush. Thanks again for all the replies gents.

Pat

Centenary new price?

As a matter of interest....does anyone know how much the Centeneray's were new in 82?
    Just too many guns! NO, I was only kidding!

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by bazwong View Post
    As a matter of interest....does anyone know how much the Centeneray's were new in 82?
    I don't recall but I do know that they were expensive compared to say an Airsporter 'S' which is basically all they are. (with an elongated stock)
    They were a bit difficult for some dealers to shift and I believe, some were heavily discounted new, quite a few were sold abroad, although just how many - no one can know!
    I love mine, took me a long time to get it - I prefer my Airsporter 'S' Carbine Custom I bought new in 1985/6 in many ways though!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Those people who own a particular marque will generally value it higher than those who don't. We all want to believe that our prized posessions are worth more.

The dilemma you have is that the set is incomplete. This makes it significantly less attractive to a serious collector, whilst on the other hand, someone who wants a shooter can buy a far more refined springer for a lot less money.

I believe I sold my Centenary for around £200 (which, if I remember correctly, is about what they sold for new). It was all complete, boxed, very little used and totally in unmarked, as-new condition. The reason I sold it was that is was so unrefined to shoot. My bog standard HW 35 was far more refined in comparison.

All that said, I reckon you may get £450 to £500 for it, but may need to hold out for a while to achieve that.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The Centenary was £230 when new. Guns & Ammo in Sheffield had to order it in for me. They didn't sell as well/quickly as BSA hoped they would. I got mine in the Summer of 1983, a full year after they were introduced.
    Believe it or not, that was a phenomenal amount of money to pay for an air rifle at the time, my dad thought I was mad.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

In 1983 you could buy a FWB Sport with Optima Moonlighter, mounts, platted sling and rifle bag for £140; a HW35E combo for £145. Which made the Airsporter Centenary very very expensive. An Airsporter S £85.95, a Webley Vulcan £62.50, Sport De Luxe £89.95, and an Original 45 £64.95. A Tasco 3-9x40 ££36 and wide angle £59.95!!
    No wonder they didn't move and had to be heavily discounted a year later. They did all go because the were British! Many kept in their boxes never to be used.

I like them; sad I sold mine. But in truth I think mint Vulcans and Airsporter S's, plus a few more run of the mill rifles, are worth a far higher premium as collectors items. Loads of used and abused but mint then they are hard to find. The quality of these lesser rifles doesn't brush off use well so quickly look rough. And period scopes! Mint ones are like hens teeth.
    Basically anything mint is well worth the premium, grab them when you can. For shooting then plenty of nice use ones for not much dosh. Scopes and mounts again much harder to find as so many broke and so many have been mount squeezed marked all down their tubes.