Thread: rifle transporting

rifle transporting

When i shot at a indoor club i only have to carry my rifle from frontdoor to car boot,five yards. Then club private car park to building,20 yard walk.the hard case is a pain at this time.can i get away with a cloth bag?

Yep.

Nothing says it has to be carried in a hard case.
    A soft gunbag is perfectly legal subject to the usual other gubbins, unloaded etc..

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I have never used anything else.

Good thing about them is you can carry 4 guns at a time quite easy in gun bags.

And I sit on mine when I am pigeon shooting as well.
    Master Debater

Hi. A soft or foam padded slip is perfectly ok and in-line with current laws, with the usual conditions like being unloaded and being transported in a vehicle where it is out of sight, like in the boot. There are many different makes of soft case for rifles with or with out a scope attached.

There is actually no law that says it has to be in any bag, case, or covered in any way

It is however a (strong) Home Office recommendation, as well as often being a club rule and of course is pure common sense,
    most police forces also treat it as if it is a law, and it could cause non shooters offence/distress and that might well be classed as a public order offence.

To be honest I was thinking of using the canvas bag my big fishing brollie came in,it is not shaped at all or padded.
    don't want to buy another bag/case and I like the idea of just folding the bag up,it will only be small.
    I have no worries of damage.
    just wondered if a canvas "sleeve" would be legal?

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzalene View Post
    To be honest I was thinking of using the canvas bag my big fishing brollie came in,it is not shaped at all or padded.
    don't want to buy another bag/case and I like the idea of just folding the bag up,it will only be small.
    I have no worries of damage.
    just wondered if a canvas "sleeve" would be legal?
    As per angrybear post #5 above yours !
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Slightly off topic, but I've been getting frustrated recently trying to find a hard case for my next new toy.....

I like the look of the Plano All Weather case, and when i did a search for it, a lot of the results were from the US.... its $79.99 in Walmart (£56 in real money), but when I find a Uk supplier, the cheapest is Amazon at £123...!!!

I can understand transport costs, but double the price...?!?!

I did try ordering it from the US, (would still be cheaper than the UK), but it looks like its ITAR restricted??

You'll be fine with your canvas bag, it'll look totally innocuous. When I was shooting as late teen I had two black bin bags...... Times have changed a little though 😄