Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion (the proper original one)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

BSA Scorpion (the proper original one)

Just fixed the trigger on my scorpion - had to scratch my head a bit 'till I sussed it - I'm an expert now

However the .22 barrel is annoying me.. even my 20 year old 5.6mm wasps settle about 4mm down in to the bore. Short of resizing some .25s I'm thinking of swapping the barrel over (don't really care what cal)..

Do any other models have the same barrel block and are interchangeable, as scorpion barrels seem hard to come by ?

TIA - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Wikipedia, whilst mentioning the buccaneer (which I thought was a scorpion action), seems to indicate that buccaneer used a meteor barrel, implying a meteor barrel will fit the scorpion ?

I have both, will measure...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Wikipedia, whilst mentioning the buccaneer (which I thought was a scorpion action), seems to indicate that buccaneer used a meteor barrel, implying a meteor barrel will fit the scorpion ?

I have both, will measure...
    good luck Jon, I have the rare Shadow Carbine in .22 serial number 0096, they only made them here for about 1 year love it.

Never liked big springer pistols, but after working on a few scorpions for friends have been quite impressed. Pushing at the ft lb limit and quite accurate.Easy to repair and not as ungainly as they look due to position of grip. Found that some suffer from the expanding nylon piston heads due to hydrolysis same as the old BSA rifles.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Not my replies, from these threads

Scorpion, buccaneer, Trooper Barrels Etc all fit each other, No other Bsa barrel will fit, ( Links can be different , )
    I remember a story about the Scorpion & Others of similiar ilk with the expanded foam filler " Blowing up " In the sun flooded window,s of gunshops, Ha ha,
    Bsa outsourced many of their " Scopes " They did make their own early on but were rubbish ,
    If you own one you will know,

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....barrels+pistol

If you're brave (something i want to do at some point. Make a .20 scorpion. Change the barrel from the breech

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....barrels+pistol

There will be more threads, but i've not enough time at the moment. There was a buccaneer barrel on the bay a few days ago.

I think they are great guns, balanced, reasonable trigger (better than a meteor), moderate cocking effort and as said, decent accuracy. I won a few pistol HFT (open sights) comps with mine a decade ago If you really want them shooting sweet, convert the the o-ring head to take an HW seal - sized 26mm or LGV (25.4) work great. Add a piston sleeve, TH and a tighter fitting guide and job done

Back to the barrel, no way will a meteor barrel fit; the pivot pin hole is too large, and the distance from the pivot hole to the breach face (and the detent) is too long by around 1/3". Additionally, the cocking linkage pin is further away from the pivot pin hole. So not even close - you be better off starting from scratch !

*Edit - Andy, yes, confirms my findings, either a custom job of Scorpion / Buc / Trooper / Shadow. I've added that 'bay barrel to my watch list **

So if anyone has a buccanner or scorpion barrel they wish to part with, in either cal so long as some readily available pellets actually fit nicely into the breach, please give me a shout

Cheers - JB
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 09-05-2015 at 08:36 PM.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    When my olde knackered one (favourite pistol) was chronoed, it did a 5 shot string at 5ft lbs with the first shot being 2ft per second higher than the next 4. That was before a new spring was fitted. You dont need an Hw seal one these to make then shoot sweet in my opinion.
    There is not much you can do with the trigger, once you do away with the automatic safety (Chambers Mk2 versions are automatic mk1 versions in the wrong drawer), but I sneak in a thin shim on the outside of the trigger spring, on the pivot pin that everything else seems to be on. Then adjust the trigger right up and you get a nice short pull (which I need with my arms being bad).
    Regarding the barrel, the easiest way of doing it would be to unbraze the existing one from the block and rebraze another one on. Again in my opinion, these are much more fun in .22 than .177.
    But each to their own.
    Last edited by ggggr; 09-05-2015 at 09:02 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hi ggggr, I agree the HW seal is not essential, but it does "soften" the shot feel...

I also put shims / washers around various pins in my trigger, and it definitely helps. Also my safety works fine at no obvious detriment to the trigger - but there's a shim between the safety pawl component and the trigger sear on that shared pin, which probably helps a bit.

Barrel rebraze is defo an option....

Rgds - JB

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Hi ggggr, I agree the HW seal is not essential, but it does "soften" the shot feel...

I also put shims / washers around various pins in my trigger, and it definitely helps. Also my safety works fine at no obvious detriment to the trigger - but there's a shim between the safety pawl component and the trigger sear on that shared pin, which probably helps a bit.

Barrel rebraze is defo an option....

Rgds - JB
    Being tight, a 20p O ring works for me, but maybe one day a leather seal might be tried. I found 2 ways of making the safety Manual. One way is to deepen the cut out in the safety bar (I did it with an angle grinder) and the other is to cut the front off the trigger bit that activates the safety bar. The safety should not interfere with the action of the trigger unless that crappy safety spring needs adjusting, but I just don't like anti bear traps or automatic safety's. I use a thin shim on the outside of that pivot pin.
    On my knackered one, the trigger adjuster was knackered as well, so I drilled and tapped the trigger 4ba and put a screw in.
    Milbro Caledonians seem to work fine at plinking ranges with these---good enough to shoot bottle caps at 7 1/2 yards in very poor light at night, after a fair few units of alcohol. My excuse is I dont notice pain pulling triggers after a drink
    If I had the skills/know how, I would love a .25 barrel on a Scorpion.
    Any luck with tuning a Tempest yet?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    im just impressed you managed to get the trigger back together.
    i had one years ago and it drove me up the wall putting trigger back.
    well done sir!

Just fixed the trigger on my scorpion - had to scratch my head a bit 'till I sussed it - I'm an expert now

However the .22 barrel is annoying me.. even my 20 year old 5.6mm wasps settle about 4mm down in to the bore. Short of resizing some .25s I'm thinking of swapping the barrel over (don't really care what cal)..

Do any other models have the same barrel block and are interchangeable, as scorpion barrels seem hard to come by ?

TIA - JB

Just a thought Jon, but you could use a 7/16" OD Crosman barrel or 10mm OD Falcon(?) Barrel and do this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7sQya7tyk

All the best Mick

Will have a look Mick, cheers.. plenty of spare barrels here

Trigger, yeah, you have to suss out how it works before you can put it together; like most things, easy when you know how !

gggr, my memory is clearly playing tricks on me, as I've just stripped down my scorpion as it was dieseling a little, and the piston head is standard - just with a slightly longer stroke (head retaining spigot with circlip sits deeper into the piston, with a couple of spacer washers in side the piston so it's tight), and a new O-ring. Also the port is opened out to ~ 3.2 (from ~ 2.9), and a steel top hat added to the piston to reduce bounce.

Just grabbed a few more pellets to see if anything is going to fit before getting brutal !!

Rgds - JB

Will have a look Mick, cheers.. plenty of spare barrels here

Trigger, yeah, you have to suss out how it works before you can put it together; like most things, easy when you know how !

gggr, my memory is clearly playing tricks on me, as I've just stripped down my scorpion as it was dieseling a little, and the piston head is standard - just with a slightly longer stroke (head retaining spigot with circlip sits deeper into the piston, with a couple of spacer washers in side the piston so it's tight), and a new O-ring. Also the port is opened out to ~ 3.2 (from ~ 2.9), and a steel top hat added to the piston to reduce bounce.

Just grabbed a few more pellets to see if anything is going to fit before getting brutal !!

Rgds - JB
    Jon, if you still have the nylon piston head they are sometimes too tight a fit in the chamber causing power to drop. Nylon can absorb moisture and swell up so making the piston head bigger than originally manufactured. Skim down on lathe to make a proper fit in compression chamber. I have had pistols completely jammed up because of this problem.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I think they are great guns, balanced, reasonable trigger (better than a meteor), moderate cocking effort and as said, decent accuracy. I won a few pistol HFT (open sights) comps with mine a decade ago If you really want them shooting sweet, convert the the o-ring head to take an HW seal - sized 26mm or LGV (25.4) work great. Add a piston sleeve, TH and a tighter fitting guide and job done

Back to the barrel, no way will a meteor barrel fit; the pivot pin hole is too large, and the distance from the pivot hole to the breach face (and the detent) is too long by around 1/3". Additionally, the cocking linkage pin is further away from the pivot pin hole. So not even close - you be better off starting from scratch !

*Edit - Andy, yes, confirms my findings, either a custom job of Scorpion / Buc / Trooper / Shadow. I've added that 'bay barrel to my watch list **

So if anyone has a buccanner or scorpion barrel they wish to part with, in either cal so long as some readily available pellets actually fit nicely into the breach, please give me a shout

Cheers - JB
    Might be a bit loose ?
    The Scorpion has a 28mm piston/Cylinder
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 10-05-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Might be a bit loose ?
    The Scorpion has a 28mm piston/Cylinder
    Yes, Ged, you are right - see my latter post... It was the job I did on the Meteor that I was confusing !