Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hw90 mods/tune/lubes

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    update.......
    tried it without the innertia weight, shot cycle 'feels' the same........ but........noticibly more muzzle flip
    im beggining to thing the weight isnt just to calm recoil/surge........ but to be a 'weight' that is moving to help counter flip........ i guess the momentum has a singular-direction gyro effect to some degree........who knows, but what i did experiment with was the friction of the innertia weights movement........the long and the short of it is i have re-sized the outer edge of both o-rings a little, this is now allowing the weight to be pushed and pulled much easyer......i have also ported both entrances of the central hole........ this is afterall a kind of transfer port now then... i didnt want it moving under its own weight [this would then give varying degreed of friction/movement at different angles of elevation [shooting uphill, versus downhill for example] but wanted it free-er to move more within the piston upon firing..... this does seem to help dampen recoil/muzzle-flip even more........
    this was by no means a scientific test, this was just shooting into a backstop with the rifle balanced on a bean rest and observing rearward movement and flip movement........
    i dare say you could get very mathematical and alter the inneria-weights overall weight........ work out the best hole size [like a TP] and engineer-in a precise friction of movement....... thats for someone much cleverer than myself
    personally i have gone as far as i want/need to........ at present it has a very fast locktime, and recoil is mostly on the horizontal plain [no noticable muzzle flip] ....... whats more its ridiculously consistent fps wise....... like better than any springer ive tested so im happy ....... all i need to do now is find a lovely stock for it
    Very interesting, good work ...must admit that I fitted the 98 barrel before removing the weight...I've had .177, .22 and .25 barrels on it before, but have not tried with a different lighter barrel since removing the weight...but the reduction in felt recoil before and after is quite noticeable with the heavier barrel fitted, which is obviously countering the muzzle flip. I may try doing as you say and get the weight running smoother and easier within the ram....

Custom stock will make stocks for the 90, got one on mine
    blah blah

loving the stock [the bit in front of the barrel-pivot-bolt is lower for some reason ?] ....... but asside from that its stunning
    as for the experiments, ive not finished yet........ i have in my minds eye a plan to fit a spring with guide infront of the innertia weight....... probably machining the weight out to act as a tophat too....... theory being that when cocked the rear part of the ram will [as now] push the innertia weight to the front of the piston. however if preloaded with a spring im thinking that upon firing the piston will fly forwards, and the weight will be propelled rearward to counter much more of the recoil at the very least it will be worth the experiment to test results
    meanwhile i have a million other jobs to do on other rifles so it will have to wait a while
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Building on my post above, I really do think that the shorter and heavier HW98 barrel is a great match with the HW90. Also, there is at least one youtube video out there that shows a very significant about of barrel whip with the the stock barrel.

BTW, on the subject of internal piston lubrication, I have read several conflicting posts and have had conflicting conversations. The reason I ask is that I need to rebuild my Evo. Some say to put a small amount of petroleum based lubricate in the piston. Others, including David Slade, say that the petroleum based lubricants will degrade the o-rings and a moly based lub should be applied.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by RFCII View Post
    Building on my post above, I really do think that the shorter and heavier HW98 barrel is a great match with the HW90. Also, there is at least one youtube video out there that shows a very significant about of barrel whip with the the stock barrel.

BTW, on the subject of internal piston lubrication, I have read several conflicting posts and have had conflicting conversations. The reason I ask is that I need to rebuild my Evo. Some say to put a small amount of petroleum based lubricate in the piston. Others, including David Slade, say that the petroleum based lubricants will degrade the o-rings and a moly based lub should be applied.

Your thoughts and experiences?
    Have to agree..I have had 4 different barrels fitted on my 90 - the original .177K screwcut with silencer, a full length .22 (HW80), a full length .25(HW80) and lastly the .177 sleeved 98 barrel....the 98 barrel is king!

Edit: here is the youtube video of a standard HW90 barrel flexing through the shot...description says it is a .25 barrel at FAC levels!...Don't think we would be seeing the same amount of movement at sub-12fpe with thicker .177 barrel...
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 18-05-2015 at 06:45 AM.
    blah blah

re lubes . better not use any petroleum based oils/lubes........ it may start to leak
    oh wait.... my car engine is full of o-rings and oil-seals. best not use any oil in that either
    in truth you can use whatever you like, my personal preferance is some rubber-grease/moly mix applied in-between the 2 o-rings on both the innertia weight and the 2 of the rear-seals
    then i mix a little engine oil with some pftf-based gearbox-addative and pour-in about a small teaspoon full, this will slosh around and keep everything lubed and happy
    dont put too much in mind you, the innertia-weight-hole is a kind of transfer-port, if you have too much liquid it will likely too and fro in this hole during firing [inconsistent weight movement]
    however........ thats just me being over the top, in truth you can simple squirt some oil in the ram [without any other lubes needed]
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    re lubes . better not use any petroleum based oils/lubes........ it may start to leak
    oh wait.... my car engine is full of o-rings and oil-seals. best not use any oil in that either
    in truth you can use whatever you like, my personal preferance is some rubber-grease/moly mix applied in-between the 2 o-rings on both the innertia weight and the 2 of the rear-seals
    then i mix a little engine oil with some pftf-based gearbox-addative and pour-in about a small teaspoon full, this will slosh around and keep everything lubed and happy
    dont put too much in mind you, the innertia-weight-hole is a kind of transfer-port, if you have too much liquid it will likely too and fro in this hole during firing [inconsistent weight movement]
    however........ thats just me being over the top, in truth you can simple squirt some oil in the ram [without any other lubes needed]
    Thanks! Just what I needed to know.

I bought a new HW90 and striped it and converted it to spring using V-Mach parts , it has less effort to cock and shoots very nice.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    I bought a new HW90 and striped it and converted it to spring using V-Mach parts , it has less effort to cock and shoots very nice.
    Interesting....did you make a new endplug?...or cut the endplug off the back section of the ram?...or did you find a suitable spring that would fit inside the ram and just removed the schrader valve?...

...and if you bought it new, why not just buy an 80?
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Interesting....did you make a new endplug?...or cut the endplug off the back section of the ram?...or did you find a suitable spring that would fit inside the ram and just removed the schrader valve?...

...and if you bought it new, why not just buy an 80?
    On the end of the cylinder is the tube that slides inside the piston, this was turned off leaving about 2mm . This is very hard and you need if i remember carbon tipped tools to do this, a guide was made with a synthetic stem and steel base to sit inside the part of tube that was left. This holds the guide central a HW97/77 spring was used with a top hat , this was a full length spring that had to be cut to adjust the power. A delrin liner was made to line the piston and a HW80 V-MACH piston seal fitted. I know that Venom had converted 90 so i was interested to see what it was like.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Hw90

Can anyone advise as to the pressure required to pump up and regas a HW90 to just below the legal limit. I have the Theoben gas ram adaptor but do not want to damage the gun by over pressuring it.
    Thank you