Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
update.......
tried it without the innertia weight, shot cycle 'feels' the same........ but........noticibly more muzzle flip
im beggining to thing the weight isnt just to calm recoil/surge........ but to be a 'weight' that is moving to help counter flip........ i guess the momentum has a singular-direction gyro effect to some degree........who knows, but what i did experiment with was the friction of the innertia weights movement........the long and the short of it is i have re-sized the outer edge of both o-rings a little, this is now allowing the weight to be pushed and pulled much easyer......i have also ported both entrances of the central hole........ this is afterall a kind of transfer port now then... i didnt want it moving under its own weight [this would then give varying degreed of friction/movement at different angles of elevation [shooting uphill, versus downhill for example] but wanted it free-er to move more within the piston upon firing..... this does seem to help dampen recoil/muzzle-flip even more........
this was by no means a scientific test, this was just shooting into a backstop with the rifle balanced on a bean rest and observing rearward movement and flip movement........
i dare say you could get very mathematical and alter the inneria-weights overall weight........ work out the best hole size [like a TP] and engineer-in a precise friction of movement....... thats for someone much cleverer than myself
personally i have gone as far as i want/need to........ at present it has a very fast locktime, and recoil is mostly on the horizontal plain [no noticable muzzle flip] ....... whats more its ridiculously consistent fps wise....... like better than any springer ive tested so im happy ....... all i need to do now is find a lovely stock for it
Very interesting, good work ...must admit that I fitted the 98 barrel before removing the weight...I've had .177, .22 and .25 barrels on it before, but have not tried with a different lighter barrel since removing the weight...but the reduction in felt recoil before and after is quite noticeable with the heavier barrel fitted, which is obviously countering the muzzle flip. I may try doing as you say and get the weight running smoother and easier within the ram....

Custom stock will make stocks for the 90, got one on mine