Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOV 21 versus CP1

LOV 21 versus CP1

Having recently purchased an example of each of these "cheap" but surprisingly good pistols, my own very brief thoughts are as follows. Please bare in mind that I am a novice pistol shot.

LOV 21:

Made of plastic and looks like something you would have used for firing spuds when you were 10. However, looks can be deceptive. Even in my own inexperienced hands I managed a 45 ex 50, due in no small part to the trigger ,which, considering it is using something that closely resemble a clothes peg spring, breaks nicely at around 650 grammes (once I had bent it to reduce its effect upon the sears.) Shot count is very high, with all of the three guns in our club managing around 80 shots per CO2 cartridge. Its very light and could be comfortably used by those without the strength of Garth. Due to this propensity for the muzzle to "flutter" our own club secretary, that Jones bloke, has fitted some additional weight following a visit to a local Kwik fit centre and the wheel balancer. Anyway, I really enjoy shooting mine, and apart from a couple of strip downs to check out the extremely basic but effective firing mechanism, the gun has now eaten its way through at least 1500 pellets and, for me, is probably the most enjoyable to shoot of all my pistols due to the LOVs ability to make the most of my own meagre talents and the fact that the thing is so cheap. Muzzle velocity of mine is 385 fps and she prefers R10s, although Ians likes Geco. Brilliant value at £100 posted to your RFD. Highly recommended!

CP1 (or AirForce One in its price inflated British garb):

This one actually looks like a real air pistol. It is made from good old steel and wood, and considering I only paid £72 posted from Poland has to be classed as a hell of a bargain. The actual finish is of a good standard, particularly when compared to some of the old wares which flowed out of China where this model is manufactured. I only received the gun at the end of last week and relied upon some experienced pistol shooters to put the CP 1 through its paces at our clubs 10m indoor range. Paul "The Machine" Wray (Hippo on here) managed some frankly amazing groups, particularly considering the very un LOV like trigger mechanism which, although predictable, to inexperienced pistol shooters like myself is best described as "crap" due to mega creep. I did try to polish the sears to reduce this but only improved the woeful performance slightly. However, I have read threads that have described this problem as resolvable and will explore this further. When firing this gun, the action appears to take an age but does not have any affect upon where the shot falls due to the guns surprising accuracy. Incidentally, if you do buy one, make sure you have a packet full of barrel cleaning tissues as mine was still pulling out the brown stuff after ten or so runs through the barrel. I find the gun very pointable due to the well designed beech stock which allows a steady hold, certainly compared to the LOV anyway. The gun was putting out 520 fps with R10s. If you prefer something made of traditional gun making materials, this is the one for you I reckon. As I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the gun within an inch of its life as I have with the LOV, I will reserve my own overall judgement and verdict upon the gun for now. I must not forget of course that many shooters of this pistol will fit a scope and use the gun for long range can spinning and not 10m target shooting as we do. If used for that purpose, the gun would be a fantastic purchase in my own opinion.

So, which one do I prefer? It would have to be the LOV 21. I know it is more expensive and is made of plastic. But I defy anybody not to post in a half decent score with one, mainly due to the standard of the trigger pull which is surprisingly good. Ian and I are currently discussing a less than £150 budget gun competition. Either of these two offerings are particularly well suited to this form of fun competition at a price that wont break the bank and hopefully offer some shooters the chance of a bit of light hearted fun.

Whichever (if any!) you decide upon, both are more than capable of providing some wholesome CO2 powered action. Hope this has been of some use if you are considering the purchase of a decent and cheap pistol.

Have fun!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Great review there Andy (from the north) - I see you havent lost the gift.

From what little use Ive had of a modified (read improved by John GeeGee) CP1 I still prefer the LOV21 mainly because of the trigger. As well all know (or you should), the secret of good pistol shooting is the trigger and while the LOVs is a single pull one it is predictable and surprisingly light even before modification which is only a 10 minute job.

With regards to a 'Less than £150 budget gun' 10m competition - if that 'Hippo' is taking part Im taking a leaf out of the HFT/FT shooters rule book and spitting my dummy out now! I dont know about drug testing he would fail a Human Test!

I have to totally agree. Between the CP1 and the Plastic Fantastic, the P F got it for me. (Although I may still buy a CP1 just for the hell of it.)

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 13-05-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I haven't even got my LOV with me tonight as still giving the CP 1 a run out. I am already regretting this!

Enter them both in the Carbon League.

If you need "a less than £150 class" then that would be dead simple to organise - but my guess is that you can at least equal any other CO2 pistols performance in any case so maybe they do not even need a separate class?

Go for it - and embarrass those that paid more and get a good spanking every month by the cheapies
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Enter them both in the Carbon League.

If you need "a less than £150 class" then that would be dead simple to organise - but my guess is that you can at least equal any other CO2 pistols performance in any case so maybe they do not even need a separate class?

Go for it - and embarrass those that paid more and get a good spanking every month by the cheapies
    That evil laugh reminds me of the vertically challenged one.....

Seriously though, judging by Amac's progress with his LOV and CP pistols, somebody's in for a surprise
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    That evil laugh reminds me of the vertically challenged one.....

Seriously though, judging by Amac's progress with his LOV and CP pistols, somebody's in for a surprise
    Does their surname rhyme with 'Pray'?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Does their surname rhyme with 'Pray'?
    Might do
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Cp1

Great review there Andy (from the north) - I see you havent lost the gift.

From what little use Ive had of a modified (read improved by John GeeGee) CP1 I still prefer the LOV21 mainly because of the trigger. As well all know (or you should), the secret of good pistol shooting is the trigger and while the LOVs is a single pull one it is predictable and surprisingly light even before modification which is only a 10 minute job.

With regards to a 'Less than £150 budget gun' 10m competition - if that 'Hippo' is taking part Im taking a leaf out of the HFT/FT shooters rule book and spitting my dummy out now! I dont know about drug testing he would fail a Human Test!

I have to totally agree. Between the CP1 and the Plastic Fantastic, the P F got it for me. (Although I may still buy a CP1 just for the hell of it.)

ATB
    Ian
    I have to broadly agree with you guys re the out of the out of box ability of the Spud/cap gun. Nice description from Ooop North :-) (Lov 21).
    However ask yourselves this ...would you take pride in owning a souless piece of plastic?
    As you may have gathered I have purchased a steel and wood CP1;-)
    I can understand Ian ( win at any cost) Jones buying expensive plastic as he wouldn't know quality if he tripped over it (Webley Premier comes to mind):-)
    However the CP1 can be transformed in about an hour. First problem, silly length 1st stage, cured by insertion of small packer between trigger and sear.
    Secondly heavy grauncy second stage, polished with stone or wet n dry, now around 650gms not perfect but adequate.
    Thirdly 550 fps, too much for paper punching and gobbling Co2. 2 coils off the hammer spring gives around 400fps in mine.
    Now I just need to give it to someone of Ian's ability for a shoot out ;-) ;-)
    Hippo

I wonder how well you would shoot your CP1 with a broken trigger finger and a damned good poke in the eye....

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I wonder how well you would shoot your CP1 with a broken trigger finger and a damned good poke in the eye....
    He'd shoot right handed just to spite you Andy
    Last edited by mikec4; 05-07-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    He'd shoot right handed just to spite you Andy
    And still bleddy win.

Dont forget this is THE man that can get some of his shots into the black with a Wobbly!

'......Ian ( win at any cost....) Jones.......' Costs? COSTS? Nobody told me there was costs involved.
    Last edited by I. J.; 05-07-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Anticipating my forthcoming broken finger I have cut off the rear section of the trigger guard :-)
    However in a dubious taste moment I have sprayed it GOLD.
    After a short (very) moment of contemplation I have named the pistol .... Shaun ;-)
    Hippo

Quote Originally Posted by paul404 View Post
    Anticipating my forthcoming broken finger I have cut off the rear section of the trigger guard :-)
    However in a dubious taste moment I have sprayed it GOLD.
    After a short (very) moment of contemplation I have named the pistol .... Shaun ;-)
    Hippo
    ' .. broken finger ...' Did someone smack you in the nose? You tell your Uncle Ian who she was and I will get her a play time.

Shaun eh? So now it doesn't work?

RMTC has now purchased a Lov21 for a club gun and I intend to take mine over tonight to show them what (cheap) mods Ive done to mine. These include wheel weights on the front end, to reduce the muzzle flip and Milliput on the grip.

value

' .. broken finger ...' Did someone smack you in the nose? You tell your Uncle Ian who she was and I will get her a play time.

Shaun eh? So now it doesn't work?

RMTC has now purchased a Lov21 for a club gun and I intend to take mine over tonight to show them what (cheap) mods Ive done to mine. These include wheel weights on the front end, to reduce the muzzle flip and Milliput on the grip.
    Doesn't work? Pot/kettle etc..:-)
    At least those lead weights will help it sink ....
    Milliput? Wouldn't liliput be more apt in your case ;-)
    Hip

Quote Originally Posted by paul404 View Post
    Doesn't work? Pot/kettle etc..:-)
    At least those lead weights will help it sink ....
    Milliput? Wouldn't liliput be more apt in your case ;-)
    Hip
    I may have you know Im a full time carer for the mentally unstable - a.k.a. Gun Club Secretary.

I think the solution would be a competition. CP1 v Lov21.

ATB
    Ian