Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Nemesis?

Webley Nemesis?

Hi everyone

I was having a tidy out in the lift the other day and stumbled across my old webley nemesis.

I brought it from the factory shop (many years ago) in Frankley, Birmingham

It's in the soft case that I also got off them, can't remember if I brought this but i think it was included in the cost.

The gun is the silver version, with the silver insert in the grip. It's in impeccable condition, and I still have some pellets in the case.

I'm curious as to what this gun is worth these days? It's the .22 calibre and I'd say its had no more than 3 tins of pellets through it, last used it in anger about 3 years ago when we had a rat visiting the garden.

Used it today to test it and it still holds good pressure and fires well.

Also which was the limited edition? Was it the all black model? Or the silver version?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

I have the silver one in .177, paid £70 a couple of years ago, very accurate over 10 mtrs for paper punching, a good weighty pistol.

Nemesis

If the case is a Webley marked one, this could be worth quite a bit as well. My Nemesis came in a plastic clam-shell, so the case would probably have been an optional extra at the time.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

I sold mine in black for £80 in as new condition, less than a tin of pellets through it in its plastic container at the Melbourne fair a few months ago.

Hi new to the site...

I've seen these in good condition go from £75 to £100 more money if they have the webley marked case that's all I know...

I've got two (.177 and .22) which I bought about 4-5 years ago. Both silver with the clamshell packaging.

I paid £60 each then so maybe £70 - £80 now depending upon condition.

Hello sports fans

After almost completely ignoring the Nemesis since they came out (1994), I've recently gone and bought a nice pair of them! A boy & a girl!

I'm calling these black ones 'MK1' personally - just because they're plain black, not half silver...

It's interesting that the .177 (later?) one is in a 'blister pack', which I now remember seeing hanging up in gunshops.

While the .22 is in a brown box, like I've seen used by Webley towards the end of their 'Made in England' period, for the Tempests & Hurricanes etc.

Both little used / near new condition - Cost me £70. each.

Tried a few shots at 6 yard match cards, and both pistols work fine, but the triggers are just too heavy for semi-serious target shooting... disapointing really, because a 15lb trigger pull truely does spoil any potential accuracy from the pistol, unless you have welding glove skin on yer sausage fingers maybe...

That bloke at Webley who OK'd the trigger weight, probably liked the grip as well... it is BIG - and about as ergonomic as a house brick... he must have HATED the Tempest / Hurricane grip, because that's the other end of extreme. Really skinny, like it was made for a little girl.

And, the Nemesis is hard & uncomfortable to cock.

Anyhoo, a quick look online found this fab & helpful link ref. how to fix the rock-hard trigger:

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...php?f=25&t=894

Removing the grips, I found the heavy factory trigger springs, as predicted - so I popped out to the garage, and luckily found a couple of lighter springs, similar to those on post #1 in the above linked thread...

As the OP says - with lighter trigger springs, the pistols are transformed, with (what feels like) 3lb triggers

I added a drop of thin oil to the trigger sears, and now both pistols are shooting sooo much better

Now I'm able to shoot the things fairly straight enough to fine-tune the sights

Early days I know, but the signs are good.

ATB - Phil

There were two 'silver' Nemesis produced, one in a dull grey/silver finish and the other in a bright/silver finish, both were standard production items, as were the all black versions.
    A 'Special Edition' was produced in the bright/silver finish, and this has the stylized logo 'Special Edition' on the left side black barrel housing. This particular model would have been sold in the clam shell packaging.
    Webley also produced a range of bright coloured Nemesis, partly at the request of the Pony Club, who used them for horseback shooting competitions in gymkhanas, but they were also on sale to the public for a short while.
    Webley sold several pistol sleeves at the time, but to the best of my knowledge, none were specifically made for the Nemesis.
    The later models were sold in plain brown cardboard boxes, with a shaped styrene inner.
    A shoulder stock was also available.
    Depending on which type of pistol case you have, I would think it has to worth between £80 - £100.

I've always liked the Nemesis, and have examples of all models, including a couple of coloured versions, red and yellow, plus a rare gold plated model.
    Pictures of these are in my sig. site.

I've got a couple of Nemesis pistols and really like them a lot. The grip actually suits me, and I don't find them difficult or uncomfortable to cock. Many, many times I have spent several hours at time, entire afternoons and evenings, shooting them almost continuously. They are very accurate pistols with the right ammo and with use, the triggers improve as they wear in. I'm not sure but I think Webley supplied them in cardboard boxes to mail order businesses like our sponsors here, and in clamshell packs to shops. An under-appreciated pistol in my opinion, mine have been utterly reliable and seem very well made. The barrels are good too. What a shame that Webley went under and can't make them any more.

I bought a mint condition black model for £80.00 a couple of months ago.It has the original instructions & guarantee. Mine has a brown box with a yellow sticker cut out of the pistol on the outside of the box.One of my favourite pistols!

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I always wondered whether Webley deliberately made the Nemesis after the Whiting automatics they produced at the beginning of the 20th century which were blocky and homely with an almost vertical grip. Friends I know who have shot these tell em that they were really quite good automatics, if Webley had kept up the development and produced something usable and sell able perhaps the later history of the firm might have been quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hello sports fans

After almost completely ignoring the Nemesis since they came out (1994), I've recently gone and bought a nice pair of them! A boy & a girl!

I'm calling these black ones 'MK1' personally - just because they're plain black, not half silver...

It's interesting that the .177 (later?) one is in a 'blister pack', which I now remember seeing hanging up in gunshops.

While the .22 is in a brown box, like I've seen used by Webley towards the end of their 'Made in England' period, for the Tempests & Hurricanes etc.

Both little used / near new condition - Cost me £70. each.

Tried a few shots at 6 yard match cards, and both pistols work fine, but the triggers are just too heavy for semi-serious target shooting... disapointing really, because a 15lb trigger pull truely does spoil any potential accuracy from the pistol, unless you have welding glove skin on yer sausage fingers maybe...

That bloke at Webley who OK'd the trigger weight, probably liked the grip as well... it is BIG - and about as ergonomic as a house brick... he must have HATED the Tempest / Hurricane grip, because that's the other end of extreme. Really skinny, like it was made for a little girl.

And, the Nemesis is hard & uncomfortable to cock.

Anyhoo, a quick look online found this fab & helpful link ref. how to fix the rock-hard trigger:

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...php?f=25&t=894

Removing the grips, I found the heavy factory trigger springs, as predicted - so I popped out to the garage, and luckily found a couple of lighter springs, similar to those on post #1 in the above linked thread...

As the OP says - with lighter trigger springs, the pistols are transformed, with (what feels like) 3lb triggers

I added a drop of thin oil to the trigger sears, and now both pistols are shooting sooo much better

Now I'm able to shoot the things fairly straight enough to fine-tune the sights

Early days I know, but the signs are good.

ATB - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I always wondered whether Webley deliberately made the Nemesis after the Whiting automatics they produced at the beginning of the 20th century which were blocky and homely with an almost vertical grip. Friends I know who have shot these tell em that they were really quite good automatics, if Webley had kept up the development and produced something usable and sell able perhaps the later history of the firm might have been quite different.
    Hi,

It's also a great shame that the issues associated with the prototype Whiting designed air pistol could not have been ironed out. The pistol looked cool and was very reminiscent of their semi-automatic pistols, but I understand the barrel needed to be excessively long to achieve reasonable muzzle velocities.

Regards

Brian

I though that the problem with the Whiting pistol was that the cylinder was too small to develop the necessary power, not that the barrel needed to be excessively long. Because the pistol was designed to look like an automatic there just wasn't room in it for a large enough piston.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I though that the problem with the Whiting pistol was that the cylinder was too small to develop the necessary power, not that the barrel needed to be excessively long. Because the pistol was designed to look like an automatic there just wasn't room in it for a large enough piston.
    Perhaps someone might make a copy of them, now that we have co2 capsules.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Hi Rob,

What you say is absolutely correct with the increased barrel length being an attempt to overcome the problem.

I believe an original example of the 1910 Whiting pistol still exists and is now housed in the Birmingham Industrial Museum. Another factor which may have influenced the decision not to proceed with the project was that the need for a Firearms Certificate had not yet been introduced so live firing pistols were still readily available.

I'm also aware of a reproduction reproduced from original drawings by an obviously very skilled engineer.

Regards

Brian