Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard versus "Compact" length target pistols

Standard versus "Compact" length target pistols

I have read on some previous threads that some pistol target shots prefer the shorter choice when choosing their own preferred target gun. I am thinking about a Steyr LP 2 and would appreciate some further thoughts from those of you with more experience than I regarding which would be the better choice. Now I am of course aware that the shorter sight line on a compact pistol might assist me in my quest for further improvement, but will the obviously lower shot count really be that much lower in comparison to "standard" length? I have shot a few good guns recently including LP 2,10 and a very nice Morini, but they were all of the standard length.

I would very much appreciate the thoughts of experienced shots prior to making the decision, and thank you all for your input.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I have owned and shot a number of different target air pistols over the last thirty years or so including recoilless springers, CO2 and PCP's - all of standard length - the last two being a Morini 162ei and FWB mod 44.
    I can see no real advantage in shorter versions other than reduced weight which may be preferable for junior shooters etc, but the sight-base will be shorter which would be slight disadvantage (it is generally accepted that the longer the sight-base the better).
    However I have borrowed and shot a short Morini and achieved very acceptable results so I would not like to make a recommendation. Shooters clearly use weapons which suit them and achieve acceptable results. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
    Aubrey

Thanks Aubrey. I suppose that the standard length would be the sensible option. I will visit Uncle Harry and try a few different combinations of gun and grip size to find what suits me best, although the gun I currently use, the FAS 6004, is only the same length as the "Compact" LP 2.

Andy

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Andy,

The Morini CM162 EI you shot was a short or compact version, however the rear sight is extended back over the grip giving a sight radius of 310 - 350 mm ,the same as the standard length pistol while enjoying a weight reduction and a better balance (in my opinion).

ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Thanks Mike. Your gun was a delight to shoot and I really liked the electronic trigger!

Andy

Whilst it is generally considered the longer sight base is better for most of us club shooters there's really not much in it, I actually shoot with a standard pistol but have the front sight set further back (adjustable front sight) as I find shooting at full sight base makes sighting over fussy and detrimental to my shooting. However I prefer a heavier pistol and find the compacts too light.
    Try them both and buy the one you feel most comfortable shooting and gives you the best results, it's a very personal thing and there is no right or wrong answer, if it works for you that's the one to buy.

Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I'm looking to sell my Morini CM162 EI Short, no longer used due to shoulder problems....mine also has the adjustable weight bar that can be attached behind the air cylinder.
    Sorry to butt in but thought it might be of interest to viewers of this thread.
    Eric.

I'm currently shooting a Morini with a short barrel, ie no rear sight extension, this has a sight radius of 310mm. makes no difference to my scores compared to the long barrel. The longer sight radius will only make a difference at the very top level of the sport. A steadier hold will make more of a difference, below the top level.
    Evo 10 Compact.

I had been using a FAS 604 for 10 metre competition shooting for many years and was recently looking for a PCP of the same compact size. I tried the compact versions of the Steyr LP2, LP10 and LP50 before eventually settling for a Feinwerkbau 'Piccolo' which is essentially a P11 compact. It is extremely light, but once you get used to this, I have found it at least as easy to hold steadily as my FAS and have seen a significant improvement in achieved scores. Barrel weights are available for the pistol, but I believe they would make removal of the cylinder for re-filling difficult due to its relatively short length.

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your input everybody. Looks like the argument for the compact version of the LP 2 is gathering momentum!

Andy

Hi Andy,

You are welcome to come across to RMTC one night and shoot my Bennelli Kite Young for the evening if it would help you and it would add a another worthy contender to your short list of options.

This is the slightly shorter version of the Kite, and as you have a few of the standard length Kites performing very well in your club it could be an interesting option.

There are four different cylinder lengths available for the Kites as well as a balance bar weight unit so these are lots of options to get the balance as you like it too - but I like the pistol just the way it comes.

The pistols have lovely triggers and a superb Nills Griff grip as standard and they are certainly worth considering .
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

full length lp2 might be a better option,lighter than a LP10 but more steady than a short lp2

you can squeeze 60 shots from a compact cyllinder depending on how its set

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    C'mon man up...the 'compact' is for young girls and the limp-wristed gentlemen shoot full size guns

Thanks all again. Must have a look at the Benelli as people at Rivington seem to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Thanks all again. Must have a look at the Benelli as people at Rivington seem to like them.
    You would be welcome to borrow my Kite Young - and maybe have a go with my LP2 as well so you can also check-out another suggestion that has been made to you.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.