View Poll Results: What's the "right" calibre for a Scorpion ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • .22 'cos it's a man's piston and needs to destroy

23 79.31%
  • .177 'cos at 5 FP, you need lighter for max fps

6 20.69%
  • .20 'cos I can't decide and have a spare barrel

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scoprion * the man's pistol, not the girl's PCP * - calibre choice ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

BSA Scoprion * the man's pistol, not the girl's PCP * - calibre choice ?

So I've decided I'm drilling out and lining my 5.6mm barreled scorpion as even 5.6mm wasps (proper old ones) sit about 1/2" down into the breach, and are way too loose. It's not a big job, so that's that decision made.

However, I've found quite a few suitably "skinny" spare barrels (around 10-12mm OD) in my spares collection, but which calibre should I go for...?

Votes and comments welcome
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 15-05-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The two Scorpions I had were both .177, and they were great. If I were ever to have another though, I'd look for a .22; the thought of can bashing with a .22 loaded with RWS Hobby would be too great to resist.

Matt

Cant you line the barrel so the liner can be removed then machine one of each cal barrel to fit , then change when the mood takes you Jon .25 would be interesting
    A few nice rifles

Oh yeah, interchangable .177 & .22 barrels (no need to bother with expensive metrosexual .20 pellets, especially at pistol speeds). And a carbine buttstock. Otherwise its a gorilla's pistol.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Cant you line the barrel so the liner can be removed then machine one of each cal barrel to fit , then change when the mood takes you Jon .25 would be interesting
    I did consider threading the muzzle end to achieve exactly that - and I may yet
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

mines in ,22, but would love to see one in .20

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    So I've decided I'm drilling out and lining my 5.6mm barreled scorpion as even 5.6mm wasps (proper old ones) sit about 1/2" down into the breach, and are way too loose. It's not a big job, so that's that decision made.

However, I've found quite a few suitably "skinny" spare barrels (around 10-12mm OD) in my spares collection, but which calibre should I go for...?

Votes and comments welcome

I know it's of little consequence to you Jon but the .177" and .22" Scorpions have different Pistons --- this is how BSA castrated the .22" Scorpion after they had to be recalled when they were found to be producing over six.

All the best Mick

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    .485 Lott !

No, I voted for .22 cal. but .25 would have been a Gas !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 16-05-2015 at 03:50 AM.
    “An airgun or two”………

JSB also do a 7.62 pellet for the Wolverine or if that's not big enough how about the 9mm they use in the Rogue
    A few nice rifles

Over power

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I know it's of little consequence to you Jon but the .177" and .22" Scorpions have different Pistons --- this is how BSA castrated the .22" Scorpion after they had to be recalled when they were found to be producing over six.

All the best Mick
    We had one of these over power Scorpions. Awesome pistol!
    Of course we had it de tuned!!!!!
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    In spite of its size, this pistol has a considerable amount of spring-surge when you fire it, and possibly a good bit of bounce - depending on how you juggle the swept volume, spring and TP size. This can make it tricky to shoot with consistent accuracy, particularly with one hand. The cylinder sits over the hand as well, high and to the rear, thus maximising the tendency to pitch and twist. So go for the most efficient calibre in turning spring energy into pellet enegy.

It has to be .22.

(And such a ludicrously butch looking death-ray pistol can't really be chambered for the tiddly .177 or for the awkward dithering outsider calibre of .20.)

I've got both and they're both great in different ways. The .177 is lower powered (I deliberately left an old spring in it when I rebuilt it) but so sweet to shoot, and accurate, the .22 is great too, also accurate and great for can busting, so… No decision either way from me, I love them both! A Scorpion with swappable barrels would be seriously cool though.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    A man's pistol not piston.

For me I love my olde knackered .22 Scorpion. I just think .22 is better for shooting bottle caps and corks.
    I always enjoy shooting a .22 Scorpion or Webley pistol more than a .177. Milbro Caledonians seem to fit ok but Marksman drop into the the Webley barrels whereas the Milbros seem to fit better.

The .22 piston is 2mm longer than the .177 piston.
    With my arms being bolloxed I shoot 2 handed. I have been know to plink rather late at night after a snifter or 2, in really poor light and still kill bottle caps.
    Scorpions are like light sabers. You find the one that is right for you OR if you are really lucky, the pistol finds you!
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Bsa

.22 for me. I had a venom tuned one back in the day. Venom silencer and used a 77 rear sight on the scope rails. They did a few but where are they now? Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    .22 for me. I had a venom tuned one back in the day. Venom silencer and used a 77 rear sight on the scope rails. They did a few but where are they now? Mach 1.5
    now that is something I would have liked to see, what improvements did they make to it did they work on the triguer unit has well