Thread: Parker Hale Phoenix Mk ll

Parker Hale Phoenix Mk ll

I am considering getting myself a Phoenix Mk ll, has anyone out there had any experience of these rifles. Be it bad or good I would very much appreciate any info you my have. I have read a few reviews, and most seem positive,but there is nothing like getting the views of someone who has owned one.Things like reliability ease of maintenance shot count and of course accuracy.I just fancy the idea of a martini action rifle, probably takes me back to my boyhood !

Many thanks

Hi Hollander,

There lots of reviews on these, I have had one for a few years now, they to me are like a hybrid racing horse, looks great but has flaws.

The negative is as follows: rear heavy so feels a little of balance, I put skateboard grip on the rear which helps bind it to your shoulder but without it can slip a little, mine is mag fussy and can jab, shot count isnt up there but if hunting not an issue if target shooting then it might be just depends on how long you shoot, bottles are fiddly cause theres not a quick fill and you have to pull the bottle out the back so there are better options.

For the rifle: Looks great, the under lever if you get a good-un is novel and fun, but dont expect Clint Eastwood speeds on firing, accuracy is very good and mine isnt too pellet fussy, its quiet light and if balance was spot on then it would be great, head alignment is fine, and trigger is OK but not amazing.

So all in all its a mixed bag, I dont use mine to often, although when I do it brings a smile to my face, so long as it doesnt jam also try to get two bottles as this is helpful.

Really opinions vary on every gun, putting one to the shoulder is really the way forward and feel the action to check if it does what you want from it, looks are the best thing and accuracy. Good luck with it I'm sure when youve got it in hand you'll know soon enough

ATB

I have the Mk2, classic length .22. The longest period I have ever owned a PCP. It's fun. You can get a quick fill for it, I have one , so you don't need extra bottles. I have never had a jam, nor leaks, nor, I am ashamed to say, a service. The company that make them is based in North London, I think still uses BSA barrels, and make everything else themselves, except the imported Minelli woodwork, and the owner is free thinking enough to offer them without any anti tamper , like mine. The rear weight that some onlookers mention, is a matter of taste. The much talked about Daystate Pulsar, has been described by a magazine reviewer as having a rear weight bias... which is claimed in the Pulsars case to be an advantage.... so it must be good. It is ambidextrous. It has a magazine that nestles within the profile of the rifle, enhancing it's good looks even further and does not stick up like an after market add on and restrict 'scope height. The barrel diameter is such that, with a slightly fatter O ring inside the Daystate Reflex silencers, you can use them. I guess up to 80, maybe 100 shots per fill, there is no gauge, but then there wasn't on my Daystates. They look good with no exposed cylinder/bottle. Each rifle comes with a test certificate showing power, pellet used, and a packet of spares, that I have never used. The company owner has offered to gold plate, engrave, and otherwise customize from new. I was put off by the Parker Hale version, but this is the PAX version, redesigned by the original designer, and I love it.
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

I have a Mk2 Phoenix carbine and I love it!...it is probably my favourite gun, reliable, fast and accurate, and such immense fun to use. There is a 250bar QF kit that gives about 100 shots @ 10.5fpe (mine is .22 cal), plenty enough air for all day or 10 mins if you wish! ...I have 7 magazines, all good and quick, they will only jam if the pellets ARE NOT seated properly in the mag, easy way is to just use another pellet to seat them into the mag so that the oring sits in the waist of the pellet...and, on a good day, I can get off 5 aimed shots in about 3 seconds - aiming at 9" round plates placed 10 yards away (witnessed and timed on SDFTC club IPAS range)
    blah blah

I am another fan.
    I bought one in .177 when it was 18 months old.
    I wasn't that keen but it was a bargain.
    Works well and very accurate.

I bought the quick fill cylinder from Pax which was £130 and is a great improvement.
    Maintenance is just a bit of oil on the end of the cylinder now and again.

I like the fact that you get a good clear manual and a few spares including a valve.
    Even with the quickfill there were clear instructions and a few thoughtful bits.

Good support from Pax.

Mine has an ordinary 3-9 40 scope and what you aim at you hit with little effort.

I have had mine a couple of years with no issues.
    As far as reliability goes I know that DCL Dave has been speed shooting for sometime and his hasn't broken!

They way other airguns prices have shot up makes this unique gun a real contender in the new market and a definite secondhand buy.

You get used to the rear balance!
    Last edited by gingernut; 17-05-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Superb rifles and as accurate as any other quality pcp. Standard length enefits from a silencer as there is quite a bark. But then most pcps are like this. I use mine (.177) for HFT, it is the quick fill model and I have no trouble shooting a full course plus some pre-shoot shots to check zero on one fill. No commercially available single shot tray which is a bit of a bind for HFT but a bit of work and I made a suitable tray. The magazines are different from the MK1 rifle which used the old BSA type without the peg (I am still looking for a couple of these as I believe the new BSA versions are not the same). Very pleased.
    Cheers, Phil

hi i have the mk2 phoenix in 177 k version and normally get about 70/80 shots to one fill but then i have never checked the power when i get back from shooting but still seems ok up to 7 or 8 mags , When i bought mine second hand off this site i took a chance as i had never seen one before but they don't come up for sale very often so jumped at it, The gun is extremely accurate and you can let off about 10 shots in just over 5 to 7 seconds after a bit of practice, The balance of the gun seems to work great for me and the buddy bottle change is quite straight forward and has i have a 500cc field top up bottle i see the need to go quick fill, I did however notice a couple of times when loading and shooting i did notice the mag did not index once out of 10 shots which did happen a couple of times but i don't really use the gun that much and did run some oil through it and it seemed ok when i used it last, I now also use a push pin to insert the pellets a little further into the mag , Myself i would have liked to have a strip guide on basic maintenance and seal changing should i need one as to me it looks like a gun that if you took apart the chances are you wont get it back together but then again it may be a straight forward task, Myself i really love this gun and part with it and anyone who see's it always comments on it , I have had it a couple of years now and still trying to pluck up the courage to have the stock drilled for studs to fit a sling. If you do buy one one thing is you will never have much trouble trying to shift it if you don't get on with it. Oh one extra thing i did need to use high mounts for the scope for it to fit me comfy

Have a Mk1 .22 with MK2 internals. Lovely gun, smooth and no jams. Under-lever is a joy to use and something different. Had mine for a few years now. Do not use it too much nowadays as I shoot big bore guns now more than anything. Great looking gun, put mine up for sale now as I do not use it and moving abroad but definitely worth having one if only to try something different.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by CORKY. View Post
    I have the Mk2, classic length .22. The longest period I have ever owned a PCP. It's fun. You can get a quick fill for it, I have one , so you don't need extra bottles. I have never had a jam, nor leaks, nor, I am ashamed to say, a service. The company that make them is based in North London, I think still uses BSA barrels, and make everything else themselves, except the imported Minelli woodwork, and the owner is free thinking enough to offer them without any anti tamper , like mine. The rear weight that some onlookers mention, is a matter of taste. The much talked about Daystate Pulsar, has been described by a magazine reviewer as having a rear weight bias... which is claimed in the Pulsars case to be an advantage.... so it must be good. It is ambidextrous. It has a magazine that nestles within the profile of the rifle, enhancing it's good looks even further and does not stick up like an after market add on and restrict 'scope height. The barrel diameter is such that, with a slightly fatter O ring inside the Daystate Reflex silencers, you can use them. I guess up to 80, maybe 100 shots per fill, there is no gauge, but then there wasn't on my Daystates. They look good with no exposed cylinder/bottle. Each rifle comes with a test certificate showing power, pellet used, and a packet of spares, that I have never used. The company owner has offered to gold plate, engrave, and otherwise customize from new. I was put off by the Parker Hale version, but this is the PAX version, redesigned by the original designer, and I love it.

I pinched Corky's for a while, great fun, superb looks, quick fill, accurate.

What more could you want?

Just to update on mine, I went back to it after the other reviews and still had real issues with the mag jamming only firing single shots then having to rotate the mag manually get a couple of shots then mag out again

Why mine I thought, so I bit the bullet - 'mildly' and stripped the mag, not a difficult job mind and I took out the ball and spring put it back together and tried again... No jams, shot on shot at 30 yards and as smooth a silk in the firing cycle. I did likewise to the other mag and again the jams stopped!

I spoke with Hugh of Pax guns and although no explanation was given as to why the spring and ball function was even necessary, or why it jammed up the system, he did send me some bottle seals cause mine were starting to leak in one of my bottle So many thanks for that Hugh if you read this.

So if your mags are an issue, take the ball and spring out and try it again, be careful though the little ball can ping out 3-4 yards if not caught in the hand!

Good luck with it and for those with mag issues, try the above cause it sorted mine perfectly now its a gun I can shoot, once seals are renewed of course.

ATB