Thread: Webley Service Mk II sights

Webley Service Mk II sights

noticed when I push a few rounds of 22 or 25 through my weapons they all fire high even at respectable ranges of 25yds. The rear leaf sight runs out of adjustment and the peep sight is useless as the rear leaf then blocks out the front sight. The power (and maybe grouping) is good. I know I have these fine weapons for shooting but is it me or is this endemic with these rifles? Like to hear from the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by regentbl View Post
    noticed when I push a few rounds of 22 or 25 through my weapons they all fire high even at respectable ranges of 25yds. The rear leaf sight runs out of adjustment and the peep sight is useless as the rear leaf then blocks out the front sight. The power (and maybe grouping) is good. I know I have these fine weapons for shooting but is it me or is this endemic with these rifles? Like to hear from the experts.
    I had a similar issue with a 1st Series .177 when using the leaf sights but the peep works fine. My other examples in all 3 calibres all shoot very well with opens and peeps. Ironically I have zeroed the peep sight on a '4th' Series to the .22 barrel and backsight with the .177 and enjoyed excellent results with both in competition.

Could it be the pellets you are using? I use FTT or Hobbies in the small bores and old 19 gr Milbro Rhino in the .25.

John

Weapons? Are you talking about a vintage air rifle? A weapon it is not.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I would agree with John regarding pellet selection. My Mk2 Service is .25 calibre and only really shoots well with Rhino pellets. My Webley Mk3 and older BSA rifles seem to prefer a lighter pellet, so the RWS Hobby has proved to be the best in.22 calibre. Out of interest, I use the Mk2 open sight at 20yds and the peep sight at greater ranges without much problem.

Regards

Brian

service sight

Hi, I had this problem with a refurb service, to much metal removed from the front sight, I taped a small section of tooth pic to the back of the front sight post(a few mil taller than the post)
    this worked, got a new sight from his Knibbs (.22 sight looks taller tha the other two) problem solved, hope this helps, ATB, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightonn View Post
    Hi, I had this problem with a refurb service, to much metal removed from the front sight, I taped a small section of tooth pic to the back of the front sight post(a few mil taller than the post)
    this worked, got a new sight from his Knibbs (.22 sight looks taller tha the other two) problem solved, hope this helps, ATB, Ray.
    Indeed, I had a taller front sight installed on my 177 and this cured that problem. But I () do this for the others. I do use Rhinos on the 25 ( need a podger to correctly insert the pellet ) and I think the pellets are the issue. I suppose if I want to shoot these use the toothpick method ! Thanks for the replies.