Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 springers and open sights.

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    at my club ., a very well respected top f/t shooter cant/ wont shot springers with open sights, with a pcp hes unbeatable, you give him one of my older springers and he allways declines.
    Be afraid of the BOING.....be VERY AFRAID!!

Managed to squeeze in a very brief (20 minutes) plink yesterday with my ropey old (cosmetic dog) 35 with opens and standing. Only ten yards, admittedly. But once I got into the "zone" it was punching neat little groups almost effortlessly. I've been meaning to shoot standing more for a while (in my early years ALL shots were standers). Doing this yesterday, on opens, was very satisfying and FUN!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatttmannn View Post
    at my club ., a very well respected top f/t shooter cant/ wont shot springers with open sights, with a pcp hes unbeatable, you give him one of my older springers and he allways declines.
    How can he be a top shot if he's scared of springers?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Be afraid of the BOING.....be VERY AFRAID!!
    Tony - why don't we all quit the bedroom talk and get to a 'Springer Appreciation Society' thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    How can he be a top shot if he's scared of springers?
    I asked the same question, but he is with pcps, with springers not at all. and no to save his blushes I wont name him.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Tony - why don't we all quit the bedroom talk and get to a 'Springer Appreciation Society' thread?
    Or even a Boinger Bash?!?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

It works!

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Yesterday I had a go with my HW80 and BSA Stutzen - to cut a long story short this resulted in scopes being taken off and an absolutely fun afternoon shooting.

At the end of the day I'd settled on a red dot for the BSA -set up at 20 yards (BSA stutzens open sights not being the best and the red dot suits the look of the gun) and open sights, again set up at 20 yards, for the 80.

With both I could shoot mint imperials at 20 yards fairly consistently and with the 80 I'd just forgot how good the open sights are, so much so they have become my favoured sights for this gun!

I realise I could get a little more range from it using a scope, but then I'd only set that up at 25 yards. To me the simplicity advantage of the open sights compensates for the loss of 5 yards range - I really think open sights/red dots on .22 springers are massively overlooked and remain a serious option!
    Inspired by your post, I took the old tele off my FWB127, which still had its original plastic notch rear sight and post foresight on, then plinked from 25 metres (sorry, 27 and-a-bit yards!), and had a really good time; accuracy wise, it was not really any worse then with the 4x jap tele, just that I had to go up to the target to see my pellet holes.

Also had a very pleasant afternoon going through a variety of different brands and sizes of pellet with three of my .22 rifles, to see which worked, and which didn't - very interesting too.

Anyway, thanks for the incentive to try it out, I'm going to keep the 127 with open sights on it now.

I started off on open sights shooting starlings in the farm yard some 38 years ago
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Inspired by your post, I took the old tele off my FWB127, which still had its original plastic notch rear sight and post foresight on, then plinked from 25 metres (sorry, 27 and-a-bit yards!), and had a really good time; accuracy wise, it was not really any worse then with the 4x jap tele, just that I had to go up to the target to see my pellet holes.

Also had a very pleasant afternoon going through a variety of different brands and sizes of pellet with three of my .22 rifles, to see which worked, and which didn't - very interesting too.

Anyway, thanks for the incentive to try it out, I'm going to keep the 127 with open sights on it now.
    Great isn't it!

Have to admit that I enjoy seeing mint imperial explode at 20-25 yards using an open sighted springer as much as I enjoy any of the shooting I do, though breaking clay pigeons with a silenced 410 at the weekend came close!

Certainly for the time being I'm only keeping my HW100 scoped up, the springers seem more fun on open sights. I think this may also be good for continuing my skill (if I have any) with the HW100.

Ahhh Iorn Sights happy days..

Takes me back to when I was a kid learning to shoot with my old man with a cheep old Chinese thing and equally rubbish scopes.
    He took the optics off and gave it back "first you are going to learn to shoot it like that, then you get the sights".
    looking back some of the groups I got were amazing (with the rubbish scopes) think my best was 5 shots through the back fence which must be all of 45yds in a 1 3/4 group im pretty sure they are still there now ....

Wonderful stuff