Thread: Webley Omega. What are they like to work on?

Webley Omega. What are they like to work on?

My Omega's gotten very twangy, so a strip and relube probably wouldn't go amiss. Anything to watch out for when working on these? Any nasty surprises when dismantling them (like the safety catch and spring in HW's shooting off across the shed, never to be found again)?

Most importantly, are they relatively easy to put back together?

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

IIRC the only difficult area is in the trigger area. Make a note or take digital photos of the position of the sears, trigger spring and blade. Those little 'C' clips holding the trigger pins in can also do a runner.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks Ian. I was looking at the exploded diagram on chambers, and noticed that the trigger looks a bit fiddly.

omega

You can leave most trigger parts in place. You only need remove one pin and the upper part that intrudes into cylinder. The rest can stay in place if just removing spring & piston.

Quote Originally Posted by leostar View Post
    You can leave most trigger parts in place. You only need remove one pin and the upper part that intrudes into cylinder. The rest can stay in place if just removing spring & piston.
    Nice one, that'll save a bit of aggro then.

Ta.

And also fit a rubber band, or a cable-tie around the safety-slide and end-block...... otherwise, the slide will pop off and the nylon ball-bearing that sits under it (which makes the safety "click") will go walkabout. Ask me how I know

I found the fiddliest bit was getting the cocking dog (the trigger sear mentioned earlier which has to be removed to extract the piston) back in. In the end I found a set surgical tweezers (haemostats?) worked best to hold the piece safely while feeding it back into place to re-fit the cross-pin.

I have an electronic copy of the "Bulmer Does A Strip" which one of our members provided years ago. IM me if you want a copy.

Cheers

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Thanks for the info Dunk. Much appreciated.

I've learnt the lesson of not stripping a rifle without info as well

Somewhere in my shed, there is a HW35e safety catch & spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk1302 View Post
    And also fit a rubber band, or a cable-tie around the safety-slide and end-block...... otherwise, the slide will pop off and the nylon ball-bearing that sits under it (which makes the safety "click") will go walkabout. Ask me how I know

I found the fiddliest bit was getting the cocking dog (the trigger sear mentioned earlier which has to be removed to extract the piston) back in. In the end I found a set surgical tweezers (haemostats?) worked best to hold the piece safely while feeding it back into place to re-fit the cross-pin.

I have an electronic copy of the "Bulmer Does A Strip" which one of our members provided years ago. IM me if you want a copy.

Cheers

Dunk

I'd be very grateful if you could pass me a copy of the "Bulmer does a strip" article. Thought I'd strip then clean, polish, relube my Omega yesterday but I chickened out when I got to the trigger. I also wasn't sure how to get the end cap off, does it just pull/lever off? I didn't want to use force, no more than necessary that is!

Cheers.
    Don't just do something - SIT THERE!

With most rifles there is no need to remove the sear completely. Simply replace the pin with a thin piece of wire, this will allow the sear to move allowing the piston to slide out.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by mikec319 View Post
    I'd be very grateful if you could pass me a copy of the "Bulmer does a strip" article. Thought I'd strip then clean, polish, relube my Omega yesterday but I chickened out when I got to the trigger. I also wasn't sure how to get the end cap off, does it just pull/lever off? I didn't want to use force, no more than necessary that is!

Cheers.
    On it's way to your e-mail inbox now Mike....... once you push out the cross-pin, the end-plug is free, but it's under spring pressure so you need to release it slowly. I usually push the pin out with the action upwards, so the weight of the cylinder, barrel, etc is sitting on the mainspring as you release the end cap - other wise you can end up firing the end cap across the room. It's not a stupid amount of pre-load, so it's easy to control, just be aware of it.....

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk1302 View Post
    On it's way to your e-mail inbox now Mike....... once you push out the cross-pin, the end-plug is free, but it's under spring pressure so you need to release it slowly. I usually push the pin out with the action upwards, so the weight of the cylinder, barrel, etc is sitting on the mainspring as you release the end cap - other wise you can end up firing the end cap across the room. It's not a stupid amount of pre-load, so it's easy to control, just be aware of it.....

Dunk
    Email received. You are an absolute gentleman sir, thank you very much.
    Don't just do something - SIT THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by mikec319 View Post
    Email received. You are an absolute gentleman sir, thank you very much.
    You're welcome, but I can't take all the credit as I got them from members on here in the first place - I'm just doing my bit for the collective good

Dunk

needing help

Hello,

I just happened to come cross with this thread.

I have had the Webley Omega .22 over 20 years now. I got it in my teens from my father who bought it "cheap" from the sports store run by one of his cousins. They said it is "the last one" they had and they stopped selling anything gun related stuff back then.

I used it couple years very frequently, but it was left in the my gradfather's house cabin as my interests took the direction of the "real" firearms. Air guns are license-free here in Finland and practically every summer cottage has one used by the youngsters for plinking.

There are very little Webley airguns or the parts dealer in Finland and I did order the refurbishment kit from Chambers to get the rifle back in it's full power.

However, I made the mistake which seems to bee quite common one: I did dismantle the whole trigger assembly and now it is not so easy to get it back together.

I still have none of the parts missing, but I would really appreciate some instructions to get the thing back together.

It would be nice to star air rifle shooting again. I have already reached the age in which the loud noise and strong recoil are not to most wanted thing in shooting...