Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosmann kanaker match pistol(rare)value and info wanted may sell?

Crosmann kanaker match pistol(rare)value and info wanted may sell?

Its in original case gun is in great condition.hass 2 co2 tubes all the sight blades and bleeder everything is there.how to post a pic

Thumbs up

Hi Mike

I have a Skanakar that I swapped my BSA Airsporter RB2k for, Not certain of the value of the pistol but I think they change hands for around £300 in excellent condition with all the original accessories (y)

Pic 1

The pistol was originally a left hand shooter, My mate made a right handed grip for it of some kind of softwood, I started making one of walnut (I'll get around to finishing it one day!!)

Pic 2

My friend that I traded with wasn't happy about leaving the bulk fill receiver full of gas and never shot enough pellets to empty it so he bought the 12g cart adapter for it

Pic 3

It also came with a 20oz Co2 cylinder and adapter/whip for filling the bulk fill unit..

Pic 4

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike323 View Post
    Its in original case gun is in great condition.hass 2 co2 tubes all the sight blades and bleeder everything is there.how to post a pic
    As it looks like you are in the US I suggest you go onto one of many forums over there,as you will get a better response and a dollar valuation

I've got a cased one which I brought in the US fifteen or twenty years ago. An interesting gun to me but they don't seem to be very well known or sought after in the UK. I don't really know what they are worth, but I'd have thought £200 to £250 for a complete but well used one to maybe £400 to £500 for one in immaculate condition on a good day. However, the UK market could be small compared to the US market but it's worth trying the UK Forums, especially if it's a swap for something made in the UK that you want rather than a cash sale.

There's information in the "Stickies" regarding posting of photographs on this Forum.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

Seen Skanakers for sale in UK at £450. At one stage the Blue Book listed minters at $795 but I think they are only $450 in my last issue. Believe they are quite powerful for a C02 target pistol.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Seen Skanakers for sale in UK at £450. At one stage the Blue Book listed minters at $795 but I think they are only $450 in my last issue. Believe they are quite powerful for a C02 target pistol.

Baz
    Thanks everyone

Bit of an oddball in the US collectable market. It's build quality is outstanding for an American-made airgun but nothing much in comparison to the European makes. There is little to no demand from shooters that I am aware of. If you are into target shooting you get one of the fancy European types not a Crosman.. which was true even when these were new.

So, that leaves open only the Crosman collectors market. The problem there is that this is not considered a vintage airgun. There is no "wow" factor with the Skanaker for a vintage collector.

Little demand, either shooting or collecting, drives down the price. I suspect it will be many years before the Skanaker begins to go up in value.

I purchased a complete set new, when a local sporting goods store had one in the display case and had a 25% off sale on all Crosmans. The Skanaker had what looked to me to be an unusually low price tag to begin with, something like $250, and I asked for and received, after much argument - they didn't believe that the Skanaker was a Crosman- , a new Skanaker for less than $200.

What I liked about the Skanaker was the instructions. It was the first time that Crosman ever had something akin to a proper description of how to bulk-fill an airgun. I've maintained that one of the reasons that the early bulk-fill Crosmans had to be replaced with the Powerlet models is that people didn't understand how to properly fill them and Crosman didn't know how to tell how to do it.
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 24-05-2015 at 03:07 AM.

How to charge a bulk-fill CO2 airgun

Here's the trick. The gun has to be colder than the CO2 in the supply tank; otherwise the CO2 upon entering the gun reservoir will not enter as a liquid.

So, the gun has to be chilled first. This can be done by putting the gun in a freezer, which some have been known to do, or, do this:

1) Attach the tank to the gun

2) Decock the gun, so that the hammer rests on the exhaust valve.

3) slightly open the supply tank valve, so that some gas is released and exhausts past the exhaust valve. This serves to chill the gun.

4) close the supply tank valve

5) cock the gun, put on safe

6) fully open the supply tank valve (filling will be almost instantaneous)

7) close the supply tank valve.

8) Remove supply tank.

9) weigh gun to determine amount of liquid CO2 charge achieved.

Note: you also need to understand the configuration of supply tank. What is being transferred is liquid CO2. So, it makes a difference if syphon is installed or not and how the tank needs to be positioned during filling.

The Skanaker gas tanks have a release valve, making the chilling part easier. You still need to understand how CO2 transfers to make it work reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Here's the trick. The gun has to be colder than the CO2 in the supply tank; otherwise the CO2 upon entering the gun reservoir will not enter as a liquid.

So, the gun has to be chilled first. This can be done by putting the gun in a freezer, which some have been known to do, or, do this:

1) Attach the tank to the gun

2) Decock the gun, so that the hammer rests on the exhaust valve.

3) slightly open the supply tank valve, so that some gas is released and exhausts past the exhaust valve. This serves to chill the gun.

4) close the supply tank valve

5) cock the gun, put on safe

6) fully open the supply tank valve (filling will be almost instantaneous)

7) close the supply tank valve.

8) Remove supply tank.

9) weigh gun to determine amount of liquid CO2 charge achieved.

Note: you also need to understand the configuration of supply tank. What is being transferred is liquid CO2. So, it makes a difference if syphon is installed or not and how the tank needs to be positioned during filling.

The Skanaker gas tanks have a release valve, making the chilling part easier. You still need to understand how CO2 transfers to make it work reliably.
    Its a pity they did not make the gas cylinder removable as with the FWB Model 2. Much easier to put a couple of small cylinders in the freezer. Fill mine from fire extinguisher.

Baz

We talking about the same pistol here?

The Crosman Skanaker came with two removable cylinders that can be lightly chilled first to enable gas flow from supply source.
    However the trick bit with the Skanaker cylinders is that they have a bleed valve,so you can get a proper fill very easily. You can also remove them and they stay charged with gas,whilst the pistol is empty and safe.

All nicely explained in the owners hand book.

All the one I have handled will shoot in excess of 500fps.

Mark, just looked it up and you are correct. I was looking at what D T Fletcher wrote about putting the whole pistol in the freezer. I thought it could be like the Crosman 111 which you have to do this with.

Baz

I have to go out for half an hour but i've scanned the user manual, i'll upload them in to photobucket and put them on here for anyone that has the pistol but no instructions (When I get back )

John

The manual..

Damned photbucket altered the order of them after I made sure to click on them in the correct order

Cover

Page 1/2

Page 3/4

Page 5/6

Page 7/8

Page 9/10

Page 11/12

Page 13/14

Page 15/16

Page 17/18

Tags

There is a part with a tube for degassing so I presume from empty, the cylider is attached and a blast of what will just be gas (If not frozen) then the tool poked in briefly which will drop the temp immensly then it will take liquid Co2

It's typical in that I just popped a cart in and tried it and for some reason there's not enough power to push a pellet out!, It's been stored without a cart in so i've no idea what's causing it

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    We talking about the same pistol here?

The Crosman Skanaker came with two removable cylinders that can be lightly chilled first to enable gas flow from supply source.
    However the trick bit with the Skanaker cylinders is that they have a bleed valve,so you can get a proper fill very easily. You can also remove them and they stay charged with gas,whilst the pistol is empty and safe.

All nicely explained in the owners hand book.

All the one I have handled will shoot in excess of 500fps.
    Should have been more specific about this concerning the early models 111-118 Crosman bulk-fill models. I got a message concerning this and answered here instead. The early models, because people still don't know how to charge them with CO2, are not appreciated very much. Best are the long 8" barrel versions (111, 112) that hold a bigger charge. Early versions were made from brass and are nearly indestructible. Standard seal kit is easily available.

I put a cart in mine today and it wouldn't fire for some reason, Then the thing wouldn't even cock

Looks like i'll have to get it looked at

John..