Thread: Butt hook.

Butt hook.

For an air rifle that is!

I have lately been experimenting with making some butt hooks for my FWB 300.

Can anybody enlighten me a little on how the ergonomics of them should be to get the
    best effect from it?

Is it worth having on a gun, how much does it assist your shooting?

Cheers!
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

For what purpose? For 10M Target Air Rifle, hooks are not permitted in competition.

If it's for plinking, hunting, etc then I do recall seeing someone shooting with a Gemini hook at a FT event once. I can see the appeal.

The hook helps locate the butt consistently, and in .22 shooting helps if the rifle is a little nose-heavy and the butt wants to slide up out your arm/shoulder - not a problem you tend to get with the lighter air rifles.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

I not for use in competition. It is just to try it out and find out more about it.
    I have been making a few myself for a few of my guns and want to know a little
    more about them from someone with a bit more experience.

Any experience with them is welcome, positive and negative!

Hard to find information about them other than images regarding sales of products.
    I can mimic what I see from an image, but I want to know a little more about their
    function, shape etc.

So I thought I would see if people here have some experience they would like to
    share with me
    Wanted part new/used: Model 65, 80, 90 part 1600.178.1 Führungsachse, hinten ø 4,615 Guide axle, rear, ø 4,615

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    They are very useful for locating the butt of the rifle to your shoulder. Most Butt Hooks seem intended for use with a leather shooting jacket so can be a bit uncomfortable if you don't wear one. I feel it only needs to be adjustable enough to be comfortable but some are of quite complex design. This is one I made some years back for one of my Crossbows.

We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.